UKC

Track to cape wrath - conditions

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 jonny taylor 29 Apr 2024

Does anyone have experience of the "minibus track" to Cape Wrath? My wife wants us to ride it this summer and she's upfront about the fact that she's a nervous cyclist (yesterday we walked a second of forestry track that a gravel biker was bombing down at speed). She's keen to hear what the track is like and whether she should bring a mountain bike or will be ok to stick with the hybrid she will have for the Hebridean Way. Some descriptions recommend a MTB for the Cape Wrath track, but all the photos we have found look pretty reasonable.

OwenM 29 Apr 2024
In reply to jonny taylor:

The track is tarmac, lots of potholes but still tarmac. Hybrid or mountain bike would be fine. 

OP jonny taylor 30 Apr 2024
In reply to OwenM:

Thanks. That's what the photos looked like - it's just a bit puzzling that her guidebook recommended a MTB. I presume it isn't so potted that you can't slalom them, i.e. no need to go through them?

JLS 30 Apr 2024

It was fine 40 years ago when I rode it. Mostly smooth tarmac with some grass growing along the middle. Things may have changed a little since then.  

kylo-342 01 May 2024

I cycled this last year (2023) with my 11 year old son.   The track is fine - as above - tarmac, with some potholes - a hybrid bike would be ideal.  Only the occasional bus (the cape wrath tourist bus) that passes every hour, and occasional walker.   Quiet.  Unlikely to see other cyclists.    Worth getting in touch with the ferry operator in advance as he doesn;t work every day (phone number on second photo).  He is super helpful.

OP jonny taylor 01 May 2024
In reply to kylo-342:

Thanks all!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...