UKC

Help with prescription mountaineering sunglasses.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 AndrewB121 06 May 2024

I need some advice on prescription mountaineering sunglasses. I'm heading to the alps in June, and my old prescription sunglasses are broken (frame broke and lens coating coming off). Last year I just used my normal cat 2 sunglasses, but I went later in the summer so there wasn't much snow. Planning to do lots of climbing and mountaineering and expecting it to be bright and snowy, so looking for some quality cat 3 (or 4) polarised sunglasses. Problem is I'm a broke student and all the decent prescription ones I can find (Bolle, Julbo etc) are in the £200-300 range. I have contact lenses but they're just the single day disposable ones, so not really an option for multi-day trips, which I definitely plan on doing.  

I think the ideal might be normal mountaineering sunglasses with the little removable prescription inserts on the inside, that way the expensive cat 3/4 polarised bit is non-prescription. I found some on sunglassesforsport.com but they're not polarised. 

Has anyone been in this position and if so, what would you recommend? Does anyone know if/where I could get prescription inserts for normal mountaineering sunglasses, or good value prescription mountaineering sunglasses?

Post edited at 12:40
 Doug 06 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

Can't help much as I no longer live in the UK but there have been several threads on this & related topics in the past which might help. For what its worth, the last pair of prescription Cat 4 sunglasses I bought in the UK were from my local optician (Inverness). Can't remember how much (not cheap) & long ago.

hokkyokusei 06 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

I have a pair of Adidas Terrex (spelling?) that have separate inserts for prescription and tinted lenses. However your hope that this would make for cheaper glasses isn't borne out, they're expensive, too. It does mean that you can change the level/colour of tint though.

OP AndrewB121 06 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

After doing a bit more research I'm beginning to think the best solution might actually just be extended use contact lenses. Going to have a look at those before getting expensive prescription sunglasses.

aostaman 06 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

I use 30 dayers. To be clear, they need to be removed every night. 

The issue for mountaineering with contacts is cleanliness. Water can be at a premium in rifugios. 

Always wash hands carefully and thoroughly before touching your eyes or the lenses. Infections can wreck holidays at the very least. 

On the mountains at least use the best protein removing solutions. 

Carry a small mirror (like those for applying makeup). Rifugios are also usually dark. 

Carry at least one set of spares and eye drops. Dry eyes make the lenses sticky and prone to 'rolling'.

Also 2 or 3 Qtips just in case one rolls under your eye lid. If this happens, it's not a disaster, take your time with a head torch and the mirror. 

The altitude, high UV, dessicated air and physical stress (all of which is part of the reason for being there), can take its toll. 

At home get into good habits and never, no matter how tired you are, sleep with them in. 

I've used them for 15 years and wouldn't want anything else. 

Good luck. 

Tony Buckley 06 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

Two things.

First, the usual warning about glasses; our ears, eyes and noses are all different and what suits someone else might be of no use at all to you.  My own facial arrangement means that lots of frames sit so low on my face as to be more ornament than use.  Trying things on yourself is vital.

Second, you can make do without having the last word in Everest-capable eyewear.  I did a number of alpine trips with the sunglasses that clip over the lens and it was fine.  UV screening is the most important thing; polarised is nice, but a second order consideration. The nosepiece and side screens you find on mountaineering glasses aren't important in the Alps in my experience.  Specsavers will do you polarised prescription lenses but only up to cat 2.  

As a left-field suggestion for a modern take on clip-ons, and far more stylish, have a look at Cocoons.  I have a pair in the car and think they're the business, so you might find something that suits your needs there. 

https://cocoons.uk/product-category/cocoons/fitovers/cocoons-polarized-fito...

T.

Hooo 06 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

Definitely give these a go. I found them brilliant. It's amazing waking up in the morning and being able to see, and zero faff. Supposedly you can leave them in for up to two weeks, although I wouldn't do anything like that long. I've only done one night at a time, but by the end of the second day they still felt fine.

I used B&L Pure vision 2 multifocal. Other brands are available.

Post edited at 15:24
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Never heard of Cocoons, thanks for the suggestion I'll check them out. 

In reply to Hooo:

That sounds ideal, I'll check those out thanks. 

Fredt 06 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

I got some Julbo Explorer 2 prescription sunglasses.
Expensive, but I think mine were worth every penny. 

Hooo 06 May 2024
In reply to aostaman:

I have to say that all sounds like a hell of a faff. I would never attempt to clean lenses in a place with no running water. I would only use extended wear or disposables when camping or in huts.

nufkin 07 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

Contact lenses are my go-to suggestion for this sort of query - I use AcuVue Oasys, largely to try to avoid the cautions aostaman notes further up (which are all good points). I've never left them in for the two weeks they are touted as lasting, but a week has been fine, if a little dry in the mornings.

There is (or was, at any rate) at least one regular poster who's an optician, so if you're lucky they might be along in due course to give qualified advice

EdS 07 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

Personal I find daily disposal contacts idea for multi day trips.

That's when I wear mine the most - rather than glasses.

Another option is over glasses safety glasses with UV protection.....bolle, UVex etc do then for around £20

Post edited at 10:57
 JSTaylor 07 May 2024
In reply to aostaman:

Monthly contacts - leave in overnight BUT use eye drops daily for extra dry eyes (for contact lens use). This works for me for extended periods (weeks) over 4,000m.  

That said, always carry a supply of dailies too!  You can never be 100% confident with this strategy...

Recognise that what works for my eyes won't necessarily work for others. 

Basemetal 07 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

One option might be to try the online lens replacement companies? I've used Lensology to reglaze a pair of Raybans with Cat 3 prescription lenses (15% transmission). I didn't go for polarised and paid £30-something for single vision lenses. Prices might have shifted, but the quality is right up there and you isolate the lens cost from the frame cost and name brand pricing. Worth a look aroiund.

Hooo 07 May 2024
In reply to JSTaylor:

I wouldn't recommend leaving regular monthly contacts in overnight, and neither would your optician. My optician explained that wearing regular lenses too long starves your eye of oxygen, and as a result extra blood vessels grow. These will never go away. Doing it very occasionally probably isn't going to do any major harm, but far better to buy a pair of proper extended wear lenses for the trip. It's probably only a few quid more than your regular lenses for the month.

a crap climber 07 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

I managed to get a pair of cheap frames with cat 3 lenses from vision express a few years ago. Just wanted them for something to leave in the car but figured cat 3 lenses would make them usable as a spare in case I lose or break my good ones. Took a lot of explaining to the staff serving me what cat 3 even meant, had to look through their lense catalogue myself to check specs and find an option. I have ended up using them for mountaineering when I'd managed to leave my good set back at a campsite, they didn't seem as good as my others but it was a particularly sunny day. Might be that they only just scrape a cat 3 or something.

Jenny C 07 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

To all those singing the praises of contacts. Not everyone is able to wear them, depending on the eye condition and prescription they may simply not be an option.

Ian Patterson 07 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

Glasses Direct say their grey and brown tinted standard and polarised lenses are Cat 3.  With discount codes you should be able to get a pair of single vision standard sunglasses for significantly less than £50, bit more for polarised.  Can save more with multiple pairs (I recently got 2 pairs of varifocals including 1 sunglasses for less than £100)

Hooo 07 May 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

That's true, but we were answering the OP, who already uses contacts.

JSTaylor 08 May 2024
In reply to Hooo:

My standard lenses are worn overnight - as they are intended to be - and have been for many years. Not sure what you mean by “proper extended wear lenses” and how these are any different from my current monthly prescription designed for overnight wear.  Suggest some confusion here? 

Hooo 08 May 2024
In reply to JSTaylor:

If they're designed for overnight wear then you're fine. I thought by "standard lens" you meant an ordinary daily wear lens.

lcon 08 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

I am in a similar boat, with very few/very expensive suppliers in Ireland. I just got sorted yesterday, I rang an opticians in Chamonix, then emailed over my prescription, they will be ready for me to pick up when I arrive at the end on the month. It was a fairly painless process .

https://www.iceoptic.com/ 

OP AndrewB121 08 May 2024
In reply to lcon:

How much were the prescription lenses, if you don't mind me asking? Can't tell if the prices on their website are just for frames or for the lenses too, I assume not but can't find lens prices. 

Pinch'a'salt 08 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

No idea if they are available in the UK (I am in France) but Julbo have a ‘custom lab’ which can do on demand lenses for a lot of their models - I use the Shield which have good coverage with minimalist ‘side flaps’ that do a good job of keeping peripheral light out (general glare is a particular problem (amongst several) for me…).

I have a Cat 2-4 photochromic & polarised lens which work pretty well for ski touring etc.

Cost about €500 though…

Post edited at 14:34
 Pinch'a'salt 08 May 2024
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

Julbo RX Lab on google should get you the details… quick look says they have a UK site..

Frank R. 08 May 2024
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

> Cost about €500 though…

Julbo still makes some models (like Vermont Classic) that have round lenses and flat, non‑wraparound frames – any optician should be able to fit prescription lenses for them for much less, as they are basically just normal frames, only with side shields. Some lens makers offer up to category 4 tints. It's the wraparound frames prescription lenses that are so expensive, as grinding them is likely not trivial.

You might not get the same material as Julbo uses, as normal prescription tinted lenses likely have the tint as just a coating, not throughout the base material, but it's an option.

lcon 09 May 2024
In reply to AndrewB121:

It's working out about €200 I think, which is less than half what I was being quoted at home. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...