UKC

Cuillin springs/water sources

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Lorenzone 06 May 2024

I've organised a meet for my climbing club to the Coruisk hut at the end of May when a few of us will, weather and staying injury free allowing, attempt to traverse the Cuillin. 

The Cicerone guidebook has water locations along the ridge but interested if anyone has any intel on springs, functioning or not, which might not be marked in the book.Cuillin Ridge Traverse (Summer) (VD)

Cheers!

DaveHK 06 May 2024
In reply to Lorenzone:

The cicerone guide is pretty comprehensive. Also check out the stuff on the Needlesport page.

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Climbing/Cuillin-Ridge/Cuillin-Ridge...

Post edited at 11:19
 Lankyman 06 May 2024
In reply to Lorenzone:

I read years ago about carrying a plastic straw for slurping water out of inaccessible crevices. Might be environmentally frowned upon these days?

Pedro50 06 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Straws don't have to be plastic.

In reply to Lorenzone:.

The only source I can remember that was reliable and fairly easy to find was the spring about 200 feet down from Bealach na Lice (on the northern side).

Post edited at 14:28
 Lankyman 06 May 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

> Straws don't have to be plastic.

Graeme Hammond 06 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> I read years ago about carrying a plastic straw for slurping water out of inaccessible crevices. Might be environmentally frowned upon these days?

found this product useful for accessing such water sources 

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/water-treatment/filters-and-purifiers/trailshot-...

Fiona Reid 06 May 2024
In reply to Lorenzone:

I can't add any water sources to those others have mentioned etc. 

For a day traverse we carried 3l each. We took empty plastic bottles and filled them up at our last water source (we'd started at Glenbrittle so filled up a Loch Coir' a' Ghrunnda).  We also drank as much as we could at breakfast and on the way up to make we were totally hydrated at the start.  

We did an out and back to Gars-bheinn leaving our now rather heavy sacks below Sgurr nan Eag to do this. We didn't quite drink all our water but that was mostly because the forecast was somewhat wrong! Overnight fog was meant to clear but instead we were walking in clouds until about 1pm. Had the sun come out fully as had been forecast we'd likely have drunk all the water before the end.

kwoods 06 May 2024
In reply to Lorenzone:

The Ghrunnda spring is a massive green patch under Sgurr Alasdair, quite obvious, bit of a non-sensical detour for being so close to the start.

If going to Gars-bheinn from Coruisk, I've always taken water from the edge of the hanging coire at 450m, just before joining the foot of the NE Ridge.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...