UKC

ARTICLE: Nuts Museum: The Frenchman who collects Trad Climbing Gear

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC Articles 07 May 2024

Stéphane Pennequin has meticulously curated a museum of almost every type of nut, hex, wedge, plug and camming device in the world in his own home. He probably has enough kit to equip the whole of Stanage - maybe even El Capitan - but despite his dedication to design and detail, he can't quite put a number to his collection. "Let's just say a big suitcase is too small, and a semi-trailer is a bit too big," he says, his imprecision belying his neatly organised artefacts.

Read more

mbh 07 May 2024
In reply to UKC Articles:

Really interesting article, and what a nice guy he seems to be.

treesrockice 07 May 2024

Could you ask him if he'd consider selling that silent partner? :P

Post edited at 21:15
 Derek Furze 08 May 2024

Amazing collection and knowledge!  A real insight into devotion to a quirky cause.

nutstory 09 May 2024
In reply to treesrockice:

Bonjour treesrockice, I understand and share very well your interest for the legendary Silent Partner. I first heard about it in Mike Strassman's 1990 edited book, Climbing Big Walls. I then contacted the inventor Mark Blanchard, Mammoth Lakes, who sent me an early documentation. After its release on the market I dreamed of it for months before being able to acquire a sample. At that time I did not yet know that its production would be abandoned by Rock Exotica...

Marmotman 11 May 2024

Wow. I've got loads of stuff I never use. I started with old wooden ice axes, leather winter boots - then those Koflacs - cupboards full of stuff. I shall no longer accept it being called "Tat", it is now my "Private Museum". Best bit of kit? Belaying on a wedged out of date frozen Mars bar on Central Buttress in Stob Corrie Nan Lochan, just to wind up our mate who was a guide. I might have ate the historic artifact though.

Brilliant article. Thanks.

Post edited at 15:46
 gdstorrick 11 May 2024

It is wonderful to see such a fine article about my friend and fellow collector Stéphane Pennequin. Bravo!

Gary S.
Vertical Museum

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...