UKC

Sony Cybershot RX10 V

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Bottom Clinger 30 Apr 2024

Just some idle musings. 

I’m a birdwatcher rather than a photographer. I’m increasingly drawn away from reserves with hides to walking miles in open land. Bins round my neck, Nikon D850 with Sigma 600 mm around my shoulder, scope and tripod, rucksack. Sometimes a dog. It’s almost too cumbersome, and I can get quite severe neck pain (made worse by having a knackered back). So I’m toying with a different camera set up. Also, when I see very long range photos taken with this Sony camera, they can be better than a dslr equivalent. 
Anyone used one? Any other thoughts?  I basically want to slash the weight, and I would still take my dslr when photography is more in the cards (eg from hides when I dont need my scope) 

65 30 Apr 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

>Bins round my neck, Nikon D850 with Sigma 600 mm around my shoulder, scope and tripod, rucksack. Sometimes a dog.

You have a dog round your neck?

Marginally more helpfully, I have zero experience of the Sony RX100 series but one possible answer might be a APSC Nikon with the same lens mount as your D850. Preferably something with good sports-ready AF and lots of MP. Surely they must do one. I'm thinking an equivalent of a Canon 7D2.

Dan Arkle 30 Apr 2024

I have the mk4. 

Its way lighter than any dlsr.

Picture quality is ok, even at full zoom, but doesn't give you the ability to crop close, or really push the raw file and still keep the quality in the way your dlsr will. 

> Any other thoughts?

Something to consider.

Besides camera/lens, I would definitely recommend something like a chest harness to take the weight if that suited you. I use one for camera/len and put bins over a shoulder as bins are much lighter. This is the one I went for and it has been great removing the weight from the neck and made a huge difference to my neck problems -  https://www.usagear.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=748_764&am... . Should work ok with a rucksack though I don’t carry one so never tried that combo.

I also use a belt that takes the lens’s tripod foot so the weight is taken partly by that in conjunction with the harness. My camera/lens weighs in at around 2.5 kg yet is not any effort to carry that way.

BTW, my camera and lenses are Olympus/OM Systems so m4/3, but I went that way about 10 yrs ago as so much lighter than a dslr equivalent setup. Not suggesting you change over as that would of course be a significant cost, but I’m more than happy to sacrifice the advantages of FF for the weight saving pluses.

Graeme G 01 May 2024

Have maybe typoed? Do you mean RX10 IV or RX100 V? 

Andy Hardy 01 May 2024

Looking at the photos you post here, I'd say get a bigger dog and a set of panniers. 

In reply to Graeme G:

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX10 IV

Oh, and my camera is the D810 (not 850).

Adam Long 01 May 2024

Other thoughts... seems crazy carrying two big optics around. If you're keeping the DSLR anyway, have you tried just taking the scope and using your phone to 'digiscope'? I've been surprised by how good the results can be, and I haven't even got a proper mount.

>Also, when I see very long range photos taken with this Sony camera, they can be better than a dslr equivalent. 

Can you expand on 'better' there?

I haven't used the RX10iv but I've used used the RX10 and RX10ii extensively shooting guidebooks etc. The sensor is ok, it can be surprisingly good with the right handling but will never blow you away. My concerns with the iii and iv are size/ weight (not that small) plus modest AF and noise above base ISO.

Other option is Nikon P600 or similar - tiny, cheap, 1440mm equiv. Cons - tiny noisy sensor, no RAW, weak AF but for social media its often quite sufficient.

Ultimately I'd think about why you're carrying a camera. For record shots, to help with ID, for social media or for print/ display? A DSLR is always going to best the others for quality and AF, but do you 'need' it?

Post edited at 10:58
In reply to Adam Long:

It is crazy carrying two big lenses. TBH, I want my cake and want to eat it, ie go birding and take great photos at the same time. Not easy when this entails 5 to 10 miles of walking!  
I’ve had good results phone-scoping, this gives the best results at mega distance, and works much better on video than stills. No good for birds in flight, or photographing ‘flighty’ birds though. I am edging towards the Sony, and use my dslr when I’m  not lugging around my scope. 

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks for the info. I’m thinking of the chest harness anyway, for my bins. 

And I do like your camera etc. I had a play with someone OM camera, with a 300 prime. Really light, photos are excellent. 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 May 2024

I have had an RX10 iv for a few years now, best camera I have ever owned; decent lens, good zoom range and no changing lenses so no crud on the sensor - recommended,

Chris

nickcanute 01 May 2024

I had an RX 100 bought new. Was pleased with picture quality for its very small size, easy to carry whilst climbing and operate one handed. However it broke after less than 3 years, would no longer focus. Sony wouldn't acknowledge that this was an unacceptable lifetime for camera, they would charge £50+ to see if was repairable (many years ago) if I sent it to them at my expense. So I would not consider another. And was already disappointed with Nexus kit prior to this so Sony are off my list altogether.

kevin stephens 02 May 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger You could trade in the Nikon and Sigma 609 to get an OM-1 and OM 300mm f4 pro lens (same reach as full frame 600) . A lot smaller and lighter, and it seems very popular among bird photographers

In reply to kevin stephens:

> In reply to Bottom Clinger You could trade in the Nikon and Sigma 609 to get an OM-1 and OM 300mm f4 pro lens (same reach as full frame 600) . A lot smaller and lighter, and it seems very popular among bird photographers

That’s the set up I’ve tried and loved. I’m most likely going to get the Sony for when I’m out and about, with a longer term plan of getting the OM (I’ve a boat and outboard engine to sell first ….). Oh, doubt I’d get much for my Nikon as it’s held together by sellotape, whilst my lens is held together by masking and electricians tape.  

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...