UKC

Mid August Sport 6a / 6a+ Europe destinations

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 ElBarto 14 May 2024

Hello,

A friend and myself are looking to head out for some sport climbing in Europe in the middle of August but looking for destination ideas that are likely to be a good temperature and dry at that time.

We climb comfortably around 6a / 6a+ but looking to to try some 6b or 6c routes too. Mostly looking for single pitch routes but will likely do one or two longer multi-pitch routes (around 10 pitches). A via ferrata and something touristy in the area for a rest day would be good, likely hire a car if needed. I realise that's quite a few points but it's more to give you a rough feel of what I've been looking at rather than an exact list.

My current thinking is Dolomites, Arco or Switzerland. Any one been there at those times of year? As I understand it a lot of Europe is on holiday over August so a lot of places will be busy? Any quite spots or recommendations?

jimtitt 14 May 2024
In reply to ElBarto:

Arco was absolutely dead in August a few years ago when I was there, only climbers were a group training on the comp wall. That it was 35-38° probably had something to do with it!

OP ElBarto 14 May 2024
In reply to jimtitt:

Ok, probably to hot then!

tjekel 17 May 2024
In reply to ElBarto:

You could do worse then base yourself around Ginzling, Zillertal. A variety of single pitch sectors, good bouldering and a smattering of multipitch routes at your grades in well bolted granite. Ewige Jagdgründe, Nasenwand and Bergstation are the main single pitch sectors. Bolted multipitch is also walkable.

Second, Ötztal around Längenfeld ist definitely good, with lots to go at.

Both areas are a little higher and therefore cooler, and in both areas, sun and shade are availlable.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...