UKC

ARTICLE: 20 Tips for More Sustainable Climbing

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC Articles 15 May 2024

Cragging, bouldering, mountain climbing… whatever your pursuit, here are 20 tips to build into your planning to make for more sustainable climbing.

Read more

Chris H 15 May 2024
In reply to UKC Articles:

Shouldn’t number 1 be

Walk or bike / bus to your nearest climbing wall. Repea.

Frank R. 16 May 2024
In reply to Chris H:

Both walking, biking, running and using public transport is mentioned right in the article, right in the first few paragraphs. Perhaps actually read it next time?

Interestingly, didn't Franz and Toni Schmid cycle all the way from Munich to Matterhorn and back, plus many other climbers cycling into the Alps back then as well?

Chris H 16 May 2024
In reply to Frank R.:

My point was that the best option for preserving the outdoor environment is to not use it.  

Mark Eddy 16 May 2024

Really good article, thanks Anna

Alex Eperon 22 May 2024

Good article, thanks. A few more tips which I find handy for ecopoint climbing:

1. On regional trains in much of Europe, you can take bikes (mostly with a small paid surcharge). This makes life a lot easier.

2. Some mapping apps like Komoot will show things like road surface and elevation details, which makes it easier to figure out where you can get to with a bike. If you have to use a forest road which is cyclable but off-limit for cars, ecopoint can often be faster than driving and walking.

3. Find local projects reachable without a car! Life gets a lot easier when you can hop on a bike to get to your project. Personally, I sometimes overlook great local climbing in favour of 'classics' - ecopoint is a good reason to re-evaluate local crags.

4. Camping doesn't need a car-full of stuff if you take a hammock and sleeping bag, you can easily carry everything you need in panniers (or a rucksack).

I'd also add that climbing for a lot of people is about adventure and freedom. Travel without a car often enhances that side of climbing. 

Lankyman 22 May 2024
In reply to Chris H:

> My point was that the best option for preserving the outdoor environment is to not use it.  

I get a neighbour to hose me with cold water while I roll around on stinging nettles. It's just like Scotland in August and with a far smaller carbon footprint.

McHeath 22 May 2024
In reply to Frank 

> Interestingly, didn't Franz and Toni Schmid cycle all the way from Munich to Matterhorn and back, plus many other climbers cycling into the Alps back then as well?

Yes; Hermann Buhl fell asleep on his bike cycling back from the Piz Badile and rode into the river Inn 🤣

Chris H 23 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:I don’t even bother going down the wall….I invite some mates round and we sit on my carpet playing with our phones….

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...