UKC

Zermatt logistics for camping and leaving van while doing higher peaks

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 bigrob 19 May 2024

Hi,

after a head up on the best way to go about this.

where going  to have about10 days  in total and mix of camping near tasch, and staying in the high huts. People who have done similar where is the best place to leave van in  between and is there much difference in the 2 campsites near Tasch?

cheers r

Mark Haward 20 May 2024
In reply to bigrob:

I have used the campsite at Randa. Very friendly, relaxed, lots of space. I'm sure you could leave a van there, they provide a taxi service to Zermatt from the campsite, the train is fairly close by too

Gawyllie 20 May 2024
In reply to bigrob:

Camping Attermenzen just past Randa is where I always go. Other poster probably means this place too.

If you are going high overnight you can leave the car/van and they will just charge you for that. We left the van on our pitch so id imagine youcan just leave tents up. We just needed to tell them when we left/returned each time.

Post edited at 07:49
OP bigrob 20 May 2024
In reply to Gawyllie:

Spot on bud. Can u remember which map u bought, just sorting buying one now and there's a few to choose from.

OP bigrob 20 May 2024
In reply to Mark Haward:

Spot on bud. Can u remember which map u bought, just sorting buying one now and there's a few to choose from.

Mark Haward 20 May 2024
In reply to bigrob:

Obviously depends on where you are going and what scale you want. Here is the link to one map, many more available from Cordee:

https://www.cordee.co.uk/Zermatt-Gornegrat-2515-det-0-0-0-3502.html?search=...

pec 20 May 2024
In reply to bigrob:

The alternative to leaving your van on a campsite is to park in the massive car park at Tasch right next to the train station where you catch the train to Zermatt.

I don't know how the price of parking compares with the cost of leaving it on a campsite but the car park used to be reasonably priced considering it's in Switzerland.

Gawyllie 21 May 2024
In reply to bigrob:

You get free swiss OS style maps on the app 'Swisstopo'

ChrisJD 21 May 2024
In reply to bigrob:

> which map

OsmAnd+ app on your phone is also a useful mapping 'back-up' for Europe (contour layer downloads also available);

there's a free option (limited map chunks stored) and also a one off lifetime payment (which gives monthly map updates). Don't go for subscription. 

Once downloaded zoom-out on the world mapping and then click on the area you want to get the right map chunk.

Post edited at 09:31
 Jesse Nagel 21 May 2024
In reply to ChrisJD:

There's also a free (as in beer and as in speech) version if you use Android since OsmAnd is open source.

You can get OsmAnd~ from the F-Droid store which has most osmand+ features unlocked.

(But consider paying for the app if you get good use out of it. Unfortunately the developers don't provide alternative methods of donating so if you want to avoid Google there is no way... )

In reply to bigrob:

> Spot on bud. Can u remember which map u bought, just sorting buying one now and there's a few to choose from.

In the late 1960s (when I last went there in my teens!) the best map was ‘Zermatt und umgebung’ - a beautiful work of art, one of the most beautiful maps I’ve ever seen (I still have it). It can be bought second hand here: https://www.booklooker.de/B%C3%BCcher/Zermatt-und-Umgebung-Blatt-5006-Lande...

Mind you, this one looks a bit the worse for wear.

I now see there’s one on ebay that looks to be in better condition.

Post edited at 11:17
 ChrisJD 21 May 2024
In reply to Jesse Nagel:

I think my lifetime use cost was £15 via android Google app Store.

Considering how much I've use it, I'm a willing contributor.

... I also did say there was a free option ... 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...