UKC

Pembrokeshire recommendation

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Obi Wan 30 Apr 2024

Looking for recommendations for family friendly, lowball bouldering (I'll only have my flight pad) in Pembrokeshire.

Hoping to head down this summer but no idea where to base as never been?

mutt 30 Apr 2024
In reply to Obi Wan:

Pembrokeshire is very much not a bouldering destination but there  is 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/plumstone_mountain-19165/#maps

which might keep you busy for a day or two

In reply to Obi Wan:

As Mutt says, not very good for bouldering, I'd recommend leaving your pad at home and doing some deep water soloing, which is excellent.

SDM 30 Apr 2024
In reply to Obi Wan:

There is good bouldering in Pembrokeshire, just not lots of it. These crags are all covered in south Wales bouldering guide:

Preseli: Good bouldering on very grippy rock across the grades in a nice location. But there's quite a lot of bad landings. Definitely not ideal with one small pad.

Mynydd Dinas: More good bouldering on very grippy rock on a couple of outcrops with great views. There's a handful of problems that are lowish with flat, grassy landings, but there's also quite a few highballs. I had a few pads but no spotter and I was definitely in a soloing mindset on some of the higher problems.

Newgale Beach: There's a few bouldering spots along the beach, some are low with sandy landings. Tidal. May be a good option for a family day on the beach where you disappear to climb for an hour or two. The old path that went from the far National Trust car park to the bouldering area directly below it is no more (unless it's been repaired since I was last there 2 years ago) so the walk-in is longer than it used to be.

OP Obi Wan 30 Apr 2024
In reply to Obi Wan:

Excellent, thanks everyone 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...