UKC

Mountaineering Boot fitting - How much toe space?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 huckleberry 03 May 2024

Hi All,

I just bought a pair of B2 boots online and have been testing them around the house these past two days. They feel comfortable and snug once laced up with thick socks and are 1 size larger than my street shoes. 

I had a question regarding one of the boot fit checks I came across online in regards to toe box space. It was recommended I kick my toes behind me and if they make contact with the front of the boot that I should try a larger size. Only when I kick very hard do they make contact with the front of the boot, otherwise when kicking with medium strength I pass this test.

In another test which involves kicking in front of me, my toes make not contact with the front no matter the strength of the kick.

Overall, there is sufficient wiggle room and scrunching space for my toes, and the rest of the boot feels great. Unfortunately I cannot get my hands on a larger size as mine was the only available.

Would you recommend returning them or should I be good to go on long descents (no plans for ice climbing)?

Best

Post edited at 00:30
 VictorM 03 May 2024
In reply to huckleberry:

Sounds like the right size. A size up could well be too sloppy, which would cause heel lift and quite possibly also too much space around the forefoot meaning even more toe bash. 

For reference, my La Sportiva Nepal Cubes are the same size I wear for hiking boots and sneakers. My Nepal Treks are a half size up from that. Never had mind numbing toe bash, not even in hard ice - so don't overdo the upsizing. 

OP huckleberry 03 May 2024
In reply to VictorM:

Thanks! So there is a positive correlation between toe box size and heel lift? The more space in front of the toes, the more heel lift. Fortunately, I don’t feel any heel lift.

I will keep these for now, I have 30 days to return them. If during this time the larger size comes in stock I’ll probably order it just to try them out and keep the pair which is most comfy. 

What’s your take on insoles? 

johnlc 03 May 2024
In reply to huckleberry:

It might just be me but I suspect that manufacturers have been making slightly smaller and narrower toe boxes over the years.  I suppose it counts as being a 'technical' design and is designed to allow you to feel closer to the rock for more precise foot placement.  The better insulation and waterproofing in boots nowadays has I suppose partially removed the need for the old two pairs of socks routine.  Both of my big boots feel narrower around the toes than boots of old but neither has ever caused me problems with blisters or black toenails.  I suspect that the boots you have chosen are about right.

Has anyone else found the same thing with the general fit of boots?

VictorM 05 May 2024
In reply to huckleberry:

I've never had a problem with the provided insoles of any boot, but that's highly personal. If you use after market insoles in hiking boots it's probably a good idea to use them in mountaineering footwear as well. 

@johnlc: sounds familiar, hence why I am able to get away with size 42,5 in Nepal Cubes. I don't think this would fly if I would have needed two pairs of socks.

AlanLittle 05 May 2024
In reply to johnlc:

Definitely agree with you. My Scarpa Triolets fit perfectly but they're getting a bit old and there are much lighter B2's out there these days. But the things I've tried - various Ribelle versions, Mammut Taiss (haven't even bothered to look at Sportivas) - seemed absurdly narrow in the forefoot.

In reply to AlanLittle:

Yes, I think more than anything the width of the toe is important for any mountaineering or hillwalking boot. Baffling that manufacturers are ignoring this, as you say. As if boot width is some kind of ‘fashion’. I can’t believe people’s feet are getting narrower.

echo34 06 May 2024
In reply to johnlc:

Yes I agree, they all seem to be narrow pointy toe boxes so they can claim to be a “technical” fit, which is complete nonsense. 

PJ2398 12 May 2024
In reply to echo34:

I’ve had this problem for years with b2/3 boots. Now got a pair of Meindl Antelao b2’s in their comfort fit range. Absolute game changer in toe box width. Perfect for the easier end of winter and alpine climbing. No great problem fitting my size 46 to g12’s or Petzl Irbis hybrid crampons.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...