UKC

Glen Dessarry hills next week

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

I’m thinking of walking some of the hills at the end of Glen Dessarry early next week as the weather doesn’t look too bad. Anyone know what conditions are like underfoot? Is it still very much winter? The Met Office forecast for Sgurr Nan Coireachcan has the temperatures hovering above freezing for the next few days.

I do remember some impressive bog on the way out of the forest last time I was there. 

ag17 19 Apr 2024
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

We were there four weeks ago and had soft snow above about 700m on Bidein a' Chabair and Sgurr Mhurlagain (photo below) - didn't need our axes and certainly not crampons.

Didn't think the bog at the west end of the forestry in Glen Dessarry was particularly bad!

I'd be very surprised if things were significantly more wintry now.

In reply to ag17:

Thanks. 

In reply to ag17:

> Didn't think the bog at the west end of the forestry in Glen Dessarry was particularly bad!

I went directly north over the rickety bridge up Sgurr Nan Coireachan last time I was there. Between the bridge and the edge of the forest was very muddy, all chewed up by ATVs.

jonny taylor 20 Apr 2024

I am just back from the general area, though wasn’t up high. Looks like light snow above about 900m. It has been very wet the last week and things are certainly wet underfoot.

In reply to jonny taylor:

Thanks Jonny. 

Had a great day on Sgùrr nan Coireachan, Garbh Chioch Mhor and Sgùrr na Cìche. Weather was perfect and there were just a few tiny patches of snow left. Copernicus data shows just how clear it was:

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...