UKC

ROCKFAX logbook and app corrections

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Graeme Hammond 29 Apr 2024

If I spot a clearly wrong description or something in the app, what is the best way to report it? In the past you could submit a correction on the logbooks to rockfax within the "update a climb fuction" but now this option has been removed. Reporting it in notes to a crag modirater in many instances is pointless as the descriptions, grades and names of entries are fixed. Adding additional descriptions or beta can be overlooked and doesn't correct anything unless someone is sat there looking at all the rubbish left in the feedback boxes and filtering out the useful stuff.

Example: clearly wrong spelling of the climb "Meysner's Link-up" which should be spelt "Meisner's Link" up after the first ascensionest Mike Meisner Meisner's Link-up (E3 5c)

In the app I haven't seen an report error function at all but would be useful. Example the mapping for the Burbage valley has misaligned.

For a what in large parts was originally a user generated database large parts of it are becoming very fixed and there is the risk user will not provide useful corrections and errors will reoccur.

In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Hi Graeme,

Sorry that you've having issues with that Offline Map. I think this must be an issue related to the beta build. I released this a few weeks ago to test but there have been a number of issues that have arisen from this. I couldn't see your email as part of the testing group but possibly you are using a different email as your Google Play email.

I fired an email around yesterday to alert beta users that they might have issues actually accessing information. At the moment the solution was to just uninstall the beta build and move back onto the public version of the app. I've disabled this beta version of the app for the time being until I can look into it more.

I'll drop you an email in a moment with a bit more information and maybe the odd question.

One of my colleagues will follow up with some information of the logbook aspects you mention.

Cheers,
Martin

Hi Graeme

Meisner's Link-up (E3 5c) has been corrected. This has always been correct in Rockfax Digital. The mis-spelling was when it was uploaded to UKC some time ago by a UKC user. 

You can report that with the 'Add Feedback' link which will give a publicly visible report (which we check before producing revised guidebooks). Alternatively, use the 'Update Climb Info' button which will send a report to the moderator (me in this case) and they (me) would be able to edit things like climb names.

The main things we fix are the grade and star rating. We have had plenty of discussions on why we do this, which is under review. I think the 'report major discrepancy' link has been removed in the last technical update but I'll let Paul comment on that.

Alan

Post edited at 10:20
Message Removed 30 Apr 2024
Reason: Hiding email
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I hadn't noticed as a moderater for a crag I can now adjust names and grades again for RF database routes as this was previously fixed. I assumed (and it seemed sensible) this was so you could output the data to the app or a new edition of a book without checking everything as not every often self appointed moderator could be trusted with the data. However moderators can't adjust descriptions, and this seems slightly strange that I could mess with the grade of a route and this could filter through to a publication but not correct a description. Is this how it works or do you have a different data set? Basically I assumed the app was updated or has the potential to be updated more frequently with user feedback for corrections leaving feedback will not change something as quickly. Does it come down to who do you trust to change the data vs staff time in updating errors and how frequently you want corrections to the app, physical books mistakes obviously being fixed until the next edition.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

The ones labelled Rockfax Description are our data and are fixed. Moderators can add and/or edit the UKC description field. For example Wave Scalpel (6a+) has two description fields.

In terms of updating the app - it is not quite as simple as you might imagine. We record updates on master documents but only release updates now and then when they reach a decent number of edits or are crucial changes.

Alan

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> In terms of updating the app - it is not quite as simple as you might imagine. We record updates on master documents but only release updates now and then when they reach a decent number of edits or are crucial changes.

ok thanks, i assumed it would be fairly easy to update text, but it sounds more complicated, as it would otherwise be a great source for the latest up to date information. Do you have masters for both the app and the books as I sometime feel the app has room for expanded or addition information in the descriptions which there may not be space for in a physical book. For example the additional UKC description of Klem Fandango (f7A) mentions that the holds to the left are not in at the grade but the app and book do not. Using the app at the crag we were unsure as they are so close to the line for a 3 star problem and finding a video on Instagram they were used so we did the problem with them (although had doubts they were in) and it still felt tough but it turned out we did a nice variation but not the correct line. People doing stuff not as intended/wrong and posting videos is a whole separate discussion...

Post edited at 13:55
 TobyA 30 Apr 2024

Funny now you mention it, but I had also noticed the map for the Burbage valley was wrong on my app as well but then forgot about it. Having just looked, its only the map with the bouldering 'book', not in the trad 'book' on the app.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...