UKC

Beginner in Lincoln, advice for climbing alone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thenegativeone 17 Feb 2019

Hi, I’ve just started bouldering and I’m loving it, unfortunately my gym books the climbing room out as a private room for you so I have to go practise and train alone. 

Can anyone give any advice on how to improve without someone there to help point me in the right direction and offer advice, I’ve tried looking for some groups and the like on Facebook but there don’t seem to be any near me.

In reply to Thenegativeone:

I lived and worked in Lincoln for a while, and found myself increasingly driving over to Sheffield for the Climbingworks.

eventually even though I had a great job, I moved job and moved back to the Peak District ;-(

PaulJepson 17 Feb 2019

Get a bouldering pad and go to the Peak! Only about an hour to Sheffo and some of the best bouldering in Britain. 

Also, move out of Lincolnshire. Flattest county ever. 

Focus on footwork when beginning.. pick routes where you can climb either not using hands or by stabilising with arms rather than yarding up on holds.

Climb with purpose and control not necessarily  jusy getting to the top ASAP

Find a friend... surely if you are booking the room out you can take someone else in too? If it has to be another member see if there is a gym notice board or FB group to ost on

Post edited at 19:05
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Thanks, I’ve been looking at climbingworks, think I need to build my skill level up first though.

In reply to PaulJepson:

Cheers, don’t think I’ll be moving out of Lincolnshire but I’m not averse to driving about for some good climbing.

In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

thanks for the advice, I can take others in but unfortunately none of my mates are interested in it.

i never thought about the gym noticeboard or fab group, I’ll have a look, thanks.

afx22 17 Feb 2019

I’d say the Climbing Works is great for climbers of all levels.  I used to go there and did some of the free beginners lessons and they were great.  

While there are loads of really strong climbers that go there, there are always newer climbers coming through.  Being a newbie is a phase you have to go through.  Everyone else has been through it too.

tjdodd 17 Feb 2019

Don't be afraid of going to the Climbing Works.  The Climbing Works has loads of problems at all levels.  There are probably about 50+ problems (green and blue) that you will be able to have a good go at your first time there if you have done some indoor bouldering before.  The people there are very friendly and lots of solo climbers to chat to.  Plenty of people to give you advice if you want it.

The beginner lessons are also really good, free and a great way to meet people.  Sunday mornings probably most convenient for you

https://www.climbingworks.com/classes/adult-courses/the-abcs-of-climbing/

slab_happy 18 Feb 2019
In reply to afx22:

> While there are loads of really strong climbers that go there, there are always newer climbers coming through.

And the really strong and/or really experienced climbers are sometimes the friendliest and most helpful when it comes to encouraging and helping newbies.

Bouldering is wonderful for going on your own and ending up chatting and swapping suggestions with other people (if you want to -- you can also zone out and do your own thing should you wish).

I didn't know anyone else who climbed when I started, and made a lot of climber friends just getting to know people at the bouldering wall.

scaredandweak 18 Feb 2019

Lincoln Mountaineering Club is very friendly towards beginners. There is also a very small bouldering wall at the Showroom on Tritton Road (which also has some auto belays)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...