UKC

First bouldering bad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rgirish28 25 Feb 2019

Hi, 

I'm looking at getting my first bouldering pad and can't choose between the Metolius Session(£115 online) and the Psychi dual-fold(£99 online). I would appreciate people's thoughts on this and which one you would choose. Would be using with friends and on my own mostly. Thanks.

Post edited at 13:24
 Durbs 25 Feb 2019
In reply to rgirish28:

Just in case you haven't read it:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/bouldering_mats/alpkit_bouldering_...

Regarding your 2 options, based on nothing but names, I've not heard of Psychi, but Metolious are well established climbing brand.

OP rgirish28 25 Feb 2019
In reply to Durbs:

Thanks. I'll check it out. 

In reply to rgirish28:

Having written the review, I stand by what I say about the Origin - it'd be a great first pad.

With regards to the others I've laid their respective dimensions out side by side, because that provides a bit of context behind what you're actually getting in real terms. Given that you don't buy a bouldering mat very often I would probably recommend buying the best, and maybe even the biggest, pad you can afford as you're going to get years of use out of it. Furthermore, even when you come round to buying a replacement you're likely to keep hold of it as a spare. 

Origin: 100 x 134 cm / 11cm thick 
Session: 91 x 121 cm / 10.2cm thick
Psychi: 90 x 120cm / 12.5cm thick

That said, if you're on a budget you're on a budget. It's been years since I used a Session, but I remember them being quite good. Haven't used the Psychi Pad, but at 12.5cm thick (which I assume is correct) that's quite a pad for the money!

Good luck...

chris_r 25 Feb 2019
In reply to rgirish28:

When I read the title of the thread, I was expecting a tale of a high-ball gone wrong, or landing on your spotter.

DaveHK 25 Feb 2019
In reply to rgirish28:

Then bouldering good?

Andy Gamisou 25 Feb 2019
In reply to rgirish28:

Bouldering bad?  Call me Heisenbergsport.

OP rgirish28 26 Feb 2019
In reply to chris_r:

Oops! My bad!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...