UKC

Good winter climbs for beginners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Benjchan 25 Nov 2018

Hi All,

Im looking for some suggestions for a good winter climb with some mates of mine. We are not experienced at all with winter climbing and are looking to get into it.

As such, I'm looking for some suggestions for beginners. I'm looking for a good, challenging and full on experience (experience with using ice axes and cramping would be great). Something that won't only take a few hours, but also something we would be able to handle as beginners.

We are pretty experiences with climbing and hiking in the summer. This past summer, we completed the 36 miles six summits hike in 20 hours.

Thanks!

GrahamD 25 Nov 2018
In reply to Benjchan:

Does your party know how to use axes yet  ?

Dr.S at work 25 Nov 2018
In reply to Benjchan:

If you are close to Shropshire, then maybe consider something in North Wales - gribin ridge is maybe a good introductory route and often in condition. But as already asked - do you have knowledge and experience of using winter equipment?

In reply to Benjchan:

Parsley Fern Gully (I) would be a good place to start; similarly, Banana Gully (I) if (but only if) it's in.  As Graham D has intimated, knowing how to use an ice axe to climb, cut steps and brake is essential before starting and on a good weekend, finding a slope to practice all three would be a very good idea indeed.

T.

DaveHK 25 Nov 2018
In reply to Benjchan:

Fiacaill Ridge.

Mark Haward 25 Nov 2018
In reply to Benjchan:

As others have suggested, consider aiming for an area to practice skills that also has climbing options. Single ice axe skills, as others have suggested, plus snow skills without and with crampons, two axe skills. 

A high corrie / cwm such as Cwm Cneifion in Wales or Stob Coire Nan Lochan in Glencoe are great options. Quick to access, variety of snow and ice, ridge options if conditions are not so good, ice bouldering to get used to gear, snow slopes with reasonable run outs.

Billhook 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Benjchan:

A guide book would be useful.  And most of them not only grade routes but give them stars too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...