UKC

Mont Blanc affordable boot choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tudorrosca7 17 Aug 2020

Hi all. Thanks for taking the time to open my thread.

I'm after some advice on which boot people with more hiking experience might choose for a 4-day trip on Mont Blanc at the end of August. According to the organizers, these should be "Trekking boots: 3 or 4 season lightweight."

I am not sure if / when I would use the boots again so looking to not spend too much... I've also tried to find something with a brand name within my budget so have been looking at a couple of Merrell and Columbia models which I've found around the 50-60 pound mark on Amazon. 

Merrell Men's Thermo Freeze Mid Waterproof High Rise  https://cdn.sportsshoes.com/product/M/MER1561/MER1561_1000_10.jpg

Merrell Men's Moab FST Ice+ Thermo Snow Boots https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Y-Ag4bvkL._AC_UX500_.jpg

Columbia Men's Redmond V2 Mid Wp Walking Shoe https://columbia.scene7.com/is/image/ColumbiaSportswear2/1865081_012_f?wid=...

I guess that the Merrell Thermo boots will be more heavily insulated and therefore less breathable (with the "MoabSnow" model possibly less so than the "Freeze" one). As the hike is at the end of summer I am inclined to go with the Columbia as I assume that has an edge in breathability over the Merrells which seem to prioritize waterproofness and warmth.  Any other ideas or do you guys think neither are appropriate choices for the task?

Thanks 

ianstevens 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tudorrosca7:

1. Ones that fit. Go to a (good outdoor) shop, try some on, getting a fitting from the sales assistant. 

2. What are you actually doing when there? Different activities will call for different boots.

3. If a company sells stuff on amazon, they have their own shop. But from them and prevent them from paying amazon fees whilst avoiding using a massive, tax-dodging firm.

Post edited at 11:59
tudorrosca7 17 Aug 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Thanks Ian. 

There will be about 3 days of 8-9 hrs hiking. 

Will try and get a fit in a physical store but if I'm unable to will have to stick to ordering online and return if unsuitable. Partly why I was asking here, in case someone might advise on whether they fit small etc. 

Dark-Cloud 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tudorrosca7:

i think you will find they are suggesting a boot more like this:

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Footwear/Walking/SPO-TTW-SPO-TTW

But it does depend what you are doing on Mont Blanc are you going to the summit or just trekking a part of the TDMB for instance ? Have they asked you to take crampons ?

spenser 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tudorrosca7:

If you are actually going up Mont Blanc you will need boots that can take crampons which is isn't the case with any of these.

With hiking boots it's not just a case of length and width, you might find there is a little nubbin that sticks into you in a weird way or some stitching that rubs. You really need to try them on for size and have a walk round in a shop.

tudorrosca7 17 Aug 2020

Thanks all. 

Should have been more clear in the OP - there won't be actual mountain climbing just trekking - no crampons. 

Point taken on the need to try out in person, will need to try and get that done. 

tjdodd 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tudorrosca7:

Don't go cheap for the sake of it.  If you get the wrong boots you will have a miserable time.  What are wrong with the boots you normally walk in?  I assume you are not jumping from zero hiking to 8-9 hours per day.

You need to buy them asap so that you can get out in them to bed them in.  Whilst I have normally found boots to be pretty good straight out of the shop I always like to get in lots of walking in them before going on a big trip.

And takes lots of compeed plasters and zinc oxide tape.

ianstevens 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tudorrosca7:

> Thanks Ian. 

> There will be about 3 days of 8-9 hrs hiking. 

Cool, enjoy! Was mainly asking as there will be a big difference in requirement between boots for going on snow/ice that need crampons and those which don't.

> Will try and get a fit in a physical store but if I'm unable to will have to stick to ordering online and return if unsuitable. Partly why I was asking here, in case someone might advise on whether they fit small etc. 

It's really hard to do so in my experience. If you're putting in big days you want to be confident that the boots are the right ones. I wouldn't be too bothered about insulation/temperature for the end of august - it's rarely cold enough to need to consider it if you're off the white stuff. I've use trainers and worn shorts to approach huts etc in the past. Not saying you should do this, more to give you an idea that it will probably not be as cold as you expect. A decent pair of 3 season UK boots will see you through

nniff 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tudorrosca7:

A decent pair of boots will last you decades. Personally, I'd go for something with a leather liner because the fabric liners wear out, one something with a tough sole, because the soft soles wear out too fast and a tough sole protects your feet from the pressure of stones under-foot  Something like Meindl Borneo.  You'll need to take a bit of time to break them in, but it will be worth it.    Sore feet in any guise can ruin the best of trips

muppetfilter 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tudorrosca7:

Badly fitting boots can wreck a holiday in a matter of hours, as has been said get a really comfy pair that maybe cost a bit more but you will get years of use out of. Also break them in well before going and consider putting together a foot care kit with compeed blister plasters and micropore tape

PaulJepson 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tudorrosca7:

For multi-day trekking in non-winter conditions, I'm a big fan of non-water-proof walking shoes. Something between a trail-running shoe and a walking boot, but it very much depends on how you travel. If you travel heavy then you will need a heavy boot, if you travel light then you can use a light boot. As others have said, a leather boot is a good investment but for something light and comfortable then you can do a lot worse than Salomon. If you're not going up high enough to need crampons then you don't need an insulated or heavyweight boot. If you get a fully Goretex boot then as soon as they get wet (river, puddle, sweat etc.) they will be wet for the duration. If you get a breathable shoe then it'll be dry by the same day. 

Something like this if you wanted a mid: 

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/x-ultra-mid-3-aero.html#col...

I've used the Salomon Eskape previously and got on with them very well (and found them to be much more robust in comparison to Merrell). 

People in the UK often lean towards a heavier leather or goretex boot but that's because they're often going out for the day, it will probably rain, and a lot of our uplands are boggy, so something that is designed to stay dry as long as possible is preferred. The more days you're out for though, the more it tends to swing the other way. 

I've never been trekking in the Alps so can't say for sure but that would be my approach. 

robert-hutton 17 Aug 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

I did the TMB in some Higher State Soil Shakers Trail Shoes at £24, plenty of cushioning and good grip sole.

Doug 17 Aug 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

I live in the Alps & rarely wear the leather walking boots I frequently wore back in Scotland, mostly I wear light approach shoes with a stiffish Vibram sole. I prefer non Goretex although my current pair have a liner as I needed a pair in a hurry & there wasn't much choice. At least here in the south its usually dry & keeping cool is more of an issue than keeping warm for the spring& summer months.

SouthernSteve 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tudorrosca7:

Something you don't have to break in in the next week or that you find hurt your feet on your holiday. What have you got at the moment. If these are comfortable and vaguely suitable they would be my choice.

Jim Hamilton 17 Aug 2020
In reply to nniff:

>   Something like Meindl Borneo.  You'll need to take a bit of time to break them in, but it will be worth it.    

I think its all moved on from those types of clodhoppers!

Post edited at 18:08
 nniff 17 Aug 2020
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> >   Something like Meindl Borneo.  You'll need to take a bit of time to break them in, but it will be worth it.    

> I think its all moved on from those types of clodhoppers!

Quite possibly, but not for the better, which is why I've gone back to them.  Goretex and similar linings seem to be a sweaty waste of time, when stitched welts, where most boots leaked, are history.  Those linings break down quickly anyway and so they leak, more so because the outer material is lesser because it originally relied on the lining.  Those linings are only there because people keep on coming into shops and saying @has it got a goretex lining'.  Not me.  And 'clodhopper' - hardly, but not a running shoe on 'roids, I grant you.

Philb1950 18 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

I agree about approach shoes most of the time, but its Mont Blanc. Deep melting snow will soak your feet and that’s before we talk about crampon compatibility and no ankle support.

Philb1950 18 Aug 2020
In reply to robert-hutton:

TMB is not MB!

robert-hutton 18 Aug 2020
In reply to Philb1950:

> TMB is not MB!

He isn't doing MB or if he is lightweight shoes as requested by organizers are some joke

tudorrosca7 01 Sep 2020
In reply to robert-hutton:

> He isn't doing MB or if he is lightweight shoes as requested by organizers are some joke

Right - should have been clearer. It was just a 3-4 day TMB (3 nights, 4 days hiking).

Thanks by the way to everyone for their advice! 

I've just returned yesterday and it was really fun - despite 3 out of 4 days having rain. 

I found a pair of Scarpa BXX wide (old model - but unworn) on ebay and had the chance to try them out on a hike in Surrey hills with no issues , found them really comfy. So that's what I've gone for. I had also ordered some Targhee iii Mids as a back up but did not get the chance to wear them so went with the Scarpa's. 

Initially I definitely felt their weight and they seemed overkill on the sunny, dry first day's hike. From the 2nd day onwards rain started and did not stop for the rest of the trip. Even though they did get wet (in an over ankle deep river) by the 3rd day, I don't regret having taken them on the trip.

They were great at providing grip on mud, on wet rocks and quite comfortable. I only got swollen toes at the end of the 3rd day after a particularly steep and long descent in wet boots. 

On the final 4th day we got to about 2000m (at Col de Balme) and after rain faced snow/snowing - where again I was grateful to have the reliance of the firm grip. I also didn't really feel the cold  at my feet despite (by this point) having gotten the boots wet. Fortunately we were only in the snow for about 90 minutes with a warm break in between the ascent and descent. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...