UKC

Top roping Costa Blanca ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 04 Apr 2019

Me and my husband recently started lead climbing, before that we did a couple of years of top roping (Netherlands, Denmark). We have almost no experience with outdoor climbing, and most of that was top roping. However, we are going to Spain in May and want to do some sports climbing there. Given that it's just the 2 of us, we would prefer to do just top roping. Is this possible in Costa Blanca, and how do we find out where? Is there a good topo book? 

We are flying in on Alicante and will move on to Valencia at some point. We don't mind driving around a bit though.

Thanks!

tmawer 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Removed Usermijolein:

Rockfax do a guide to the area. Not much that would be easy to walk to the top to then top rope though, as far as I can see. If you get a clipstick and know how to use it you can get the rope up lots of things which you could then top rope  

Post edited at 15:04
 Mike Stretford 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Removed Usermijolein: Not much I can think of, but there are some nice crags with lots of easy route in the rockfax guide. If you get a long clip stick and pre clip the first 2/3 bolts then you'll be top roping up to those, then will probably feel happy leading the rest.

heleno 04 Apr 2019

Mrs Freddi (3a)

Hilti Woman (3a)

These two short easy climbs might be a good place to start.  They can they be approached from above (they're slightly below the level of the main crag), so you could possibly set up a top-rope, but better still, they are also both great for first outdoor leads.

Iamgregp 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Another vote for the clip stick, a great tool...

Mark Eddy 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Removed Usermijolein

The routes to the right of the Echo 1.5 Lower crag can be top roped pretty easily.

Also a few routes at Murla as has been mentioned.

Morro Falqui has a few good routes that have access from the top.

Here's a few piccies of the crags: http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/blog/sport-climbing-holiday-in-sunny-spa...

The Rockfax guide will be well worth getting hold of too.

Mark

nikoid 04 Apr 2019

You could always ask someone to put the rope up for you, I certainly wouldn't mind being asked. There will usually be a few people milling about in-between climbs at the crags you are likely to visit.

bonebag 04 Apr 2019

There are some great lower grade 3's and 4's at Echo 1.5, Toix and Alcalali. Go and have a look at them and pick a few to try leading. It wont take you long to be happy with them. 

This is what we did on our first visit two years ago. They are all in Rockfax Costa Blanca.

Have a great trip. The weather should be brilliant by then too. 

nikoid 05 Apr 2019
In reply to bonebag:

They might roast at Alcalali in May!

Jonathan Emett 05 Apr 2019

'Top roping Costa Blanca'

Was no-one else picturing a 7pitch, 200m top rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...