UKC

Trouble of mountaineering boot fits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have tried on a range of boots and have purchased a pair of Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro boots. They fit like a dream on my left foot but due to a wide bunion on my right, that side is relatively snug. My toes are pushed to the right and can feel minor rubbing on the last two toes. 

I think I will get used to it but am concerned it may cause problems when my feet will swell.

Any thoughts or potential boots to try on?

Tried LA SPORTIVA Extreme and they were good but the bunion was directly rubbing the side. 

Thanks!

Post edited at 23:03
1philjones1 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Luca Karjalainen:

I’ve had a similar issue although not a bunion, just one foot wider than the other at the toes. I’ve spent years trying to get a mountaineering boot with enough volume and width at the toes. The best I’d found was the Scarpa Manta pro until I recently tried on a pair of Scarpa Ribelle lites. If a B2 boot is sufficient for what you need it would be worth trying them on. The last has more volume and width than the Manta last and I’ve finally found a boot that fits me and is comfortable. Also managed to get them for £198 from Gooutdoors with an additional discount they were offering a few weeks ago. Good luck- I feel your pain

ScraggyGoat 27 Dec 2018

Look at Hanwag, some models have relatively wide forefoot, but still a narrow heel. Can't comment on performance or durability as mine are relatively new. Quality of construction looks on par with other high-end brands.

Another possibility would be Garmont, but the B2 I tried on had too much flex for my liking as a winter boot, it would have been fine as a general hill-bashing option.

Like you I have bunions, which limits boot choice. Previous models I've used successfully are discontinued, so can't offer a recommendation based on extensive use.

Post edited at 13:16
 andyd1970 27 Dec 2018

Meindl Jorasse are supposed to be wide in the toe box area but I’ve not actually tried them but I’ve been looking at them. Look quite light too and are a B2, the same as your Manta pros

hbeevers 27 Dec 2018

You'll struggle to find the perfect fit from a "stock" boot that will accommodate your bunion while fitting the other foot snug.

You could look at stretching out the bunion side, Rock & Run used to in Ambleside. Keswick Boot Co or any other decent boot fitter are likely to as well. 

oldie 27 Dec 2018

I've got North Face Verto S4K, B2, widish fit. Light and nimble, good on rock but probably colder than many.
I have R foot half size larger and had severe bunion on it. So compromised with L boot big and R slightly tight/OK and used thinner socks on R to compensate. (Bunion/bent big toe/overlapping second toe now all operated on and really happy with result.)
There have been several threads on different size feet and on bunions over past couple of years if you search. One answer might be buying different size pairs but very expensive unless you could strike a deal!

In reply to oldie:

Thanks for the advice. The feedback really helps!

In reply to hbeevers:

Thats very true. These boots are not uncomfortable, only relatively snug on the right foot...(maybe too snug). I think I might go with them and see how they feel after a trip. Thanks for the help!

oldie 28 Dec 2018

Incidentally I think I should have put the emphasis on the boot on larger foot fitting OK rather than "slightly tight/OK". Too tight , especially in length, always ends up painful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...