UKC

NEWS: Community Group Aims to Buy Bridestones Moor

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC/UKH News 17 May 2024

A group of conservationists hope to buy Bridestones Moor, and have launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise the money. The 144-acre moorland near Todmorden includes the popular bouldering area, and the aim of the buyout is to create a community-owned nature reserve on the site.

Read more

minimike 17 May 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Thanks. Sounds like a great and well thought through initiative. Donated

myrddinmuse 17 May 2024

This has some great potential - lovely to see them say that it's planned to be open access for all, too, although they are on CRoW land for the most part I think (maybe someone can correct me there as I've not actually been yet).

Bringing land into communal ownership for access and conservation purposes where appropriate has been a big marker of the success of the American Access Fund for a long time and we're starting to evolve our thinking on this in the UK as well I think - although against the backdrop of our rights of way and access laws things are materially different. I'm donating!

From discussions I've had with the group this sounds like a great initiative to me. I'm just waiting to hear back from the Yorkshire area and will then be happy help publicise the crowdfunder, so long as they are happy with this.

I was able to reassure the group that as the part of the crag included in the sale is on CRoW land, where a right exists to climb, they cannot be held liable for people exercising this right. An assurance was also given that we would continue to respect the arrangement that no climbing takes place on the Bridestone itself.

dread-i 17 May 2024

I'd have thought that North West Water or the local council would have been keen to restore the bog. It sits above Todmorden, near Hebden, both of which flood regularly. The more water the bog can take, the less flash flooding downstream. Hopefully it goes ahead and doesnt turn into another windfarm, like the one next door. Nothing wrong with wind farms in the right areas. But on moorland, the access roads and hundreds of tons of aggregate required to construct them, bugger up the eco system.

shuffle 17 May 2024
In reply to dread-i:

This looks like a great initiative with some brilliant expertise in the project team.

There's another (huge) windfarm in the planning locally...

https://calderdalewind.co.uk/

https://www.stopcalderdalewindfarm.co.uk/

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...