UKC

Late season Ben

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 SDee 11 Apr 2024

Which easy gully lines on Ben Nevis tend to hold snow late into April in your experience? Looking for one more route to round out my adventure in gullying for this season. 

johncunningham 11 Apr 2024
In reply to SDee:

The gullies will hold snow, the question is what gully will be in condition and safe in late April, which nobody can really answer even with experience unless they hold a crystal ball. 

If it’s late April, keep a continuous watch on the weather forecast, for example summit temp is ranging +5/6° this weekend with rain forecast, could see quite lean conditions even on the Grade 2 gullies. During the week there is a temp drop, but again this forecast may not fall within your planned time.

I would formulate my trip from daily weather a week leading up to the climb day, weather on the day, SAIS report, recent ascents (UKC and social media - never take at face value), freezing level and use guide book to note a few higher alt climbs on varying aspects.

Hope you get out and have a class one!

Baron Weasel 19 Apr 2024
In reply to SDee:

Not an easy gully but there was someone on point five this morning. You can see them at 11:20 and 11:40 at the belay at the top of pitch 1

https://holfuy.com/en/camera/1746

TobyA 20 Apr 2024
In reply to SDee:

I did Number Three Gully (I) last Sunday and it was in good condition. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...