UKC

Campsite recommendation south of Paris (Fontainebleu area)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 04 Jun 2023

We are currently arranging a family holiday this summer which appears to be involving a one day visit to Disneyland Paris - or at least the Marvel bit - and a visit to Versailles. I note they are on opposite sides of Paris to each other, but Google says only an hour and 12 minutes drive. Finding a campsite equidistant between them seems sensible, and again Google maps shows me that Fontainebleu is south of Paris and sort of equidistant between them, so does anyone have a recommendation for a family friendly campsite in that region?

I've always avoided Font on the basis of I'm not that bothered about bouldering, but could definitely go and try a few problems just to tick it off the list of experiences if in the area. My wife wants to go to Versailles and my youngest kid who is coming with us wants to go to Disneyland. I'm sure I can argue for them watching me boulder for an afternoon! But for a campsite it doesn't have to be super close to the climbing areas - more just in that general area south of Paris and somewhere that a 6 year old kid could have some fun.

phizz4 04 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA:

The last time that I was in the Fontainebleau area we used a nice little site on the edge of Malesherbes. I little far away from the main bouldering areas but much nicer than anything I've previously used in the forest, i.e. La Musardiere.

Lhod 04 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> I've always avoided Font on the basis of I'm not that bothered about bouldering

Just on this point, I would challenge any climber of any sort not to enjoy Font - it's not just another 'bouldering area'. The kids circuits are great fun, whether or not your kids climb already, and doing one of the classic easy circuits will give you a good taste of it, especially if you're going in summer. I've been plenty of times over the years with died-in-the-wool trad climbers, non-climbers, and plenty in between, and am yet to come across anyone who's not really liked it.

In recent years we've stayed at Camping Les Prés in Grez-sur-Loing, which is fairly decent.

Hope you have a great trip however you end up doing it. 

Wooj 04 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Here to give a thumbs up for la musardier. For families it’s great. 4 pools, bar with cafe food that’s decent. Kids play area and close to boulders (can walk or cycle easy). It’s shaded in the forest and has a relaxed hippy esque vibe. Can get a tad festivaly on a busy evening but it’s all good fun and I’ve not seen any dick heads when I’ve been (about 6 times now). Only 50 mins to Disney land which we’ve done everyone we’ve been. Great for a day trip. 

Doug 05 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I always preferred easy soloing to bouldering although I could see that bouldering worked for many of my climbing partners. But when work took me to Paris I thought I should have a look at bleau - only some 45 minutes away by train & I didn't have a car. To my surprise I enjoyed going there, although I was never any good, mostly pottering around yellow & orange circuits, occassionally getting up the odd problem on a blue circuit. As in the UK, many of the problems are very worn/polished but circuits get 'retraced' from time to time.

The forest itself is worth a visit even if you only walk or cycle - look for the sentier Denecourt (waymarked in blue, marked on the IGN 1:25 000 map, see eg https://ignrando.fr/fr/parcours/240292-sentier-denecourt-n-1-le-mont-ussy ) .

What have you got to loose ? you might even enjoy it.

laughitup 05 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I stayed at Camping Huttopia whilst cycling to font in April, which is literally in Versailles. Was dead bouji and fairly reasonably priced from memory. 

It was my first font trip, and definitely would have said similar about bouldering beforehand but had an amazing time and would 100% go back. Just sack the guidebook off and get on anything that piques your fancy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...