UKC

Scrambling / running in the French alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 vizik 14 Jun 2023

I’ve just arrived in Morzine after a spontaneous decision to come down. Is there any decent scrambling routes around or alpine up to pd that anyone knows of.

Looking for something that I can do as a run with some excitement. 

In the Morzine, Chamonix sort of area.

Mark Haward 14 Jun 2023
In reply to vizik:

You may find this link useful:

https://elevation.alpsinsight.com/chamonix-trail-running-guide/?_ga=2.18938...

Obviously it is early in the season so lots of snow about, check out OHM for conditions. If you have the appropriate gear / conditions / experience then following are great:

Buet, Belvedere, Albert Premier, Berangere ( Miages without the glacier section ), Berard valley, La Jonction maybe Crochues Traverse

In reply to vizik:

Two good ones I have done: 

Park at prodains and take the lift to avoriaz. Walk up to the summit of les hautes forts: scrambling on the last section with cables, then take the ridge south west to the col (a few more cables) then head down through forests and meadows back to prodains: excellent!

Another one: par at the lac du min d'or then head for the pass de latte which is an easy scramble up to the bostan ridge. Scramble has lovely fluted sections and a fun chimney, all marked with paint. From the ridge gain the bostan summit then keep going to the col. Then head down the valley to the chardonniere hut for lunch and a beer 🍺 then back down to the mine d'or

One to avoid: one year I did the route of the hautes forts trail race which approaches the hautes forts from the col de coux. Never again! The narrow scree path with chains half pulled out of crumbling rock went on and on, interspersed with sections of running water and an encounter with a guard dog. Not recommended!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...