UKC

Alpine inspiration

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Rick Asher 08 May 2024

Hi, heading out to the alps next week for a month and having visited the alps every year since 2000, I'm looking for recommendations that avoid the main fleshpots of chamonix/zermatt etc. 

We will definitely visit these areas but are keen to find some infrequently visited areas, all grades up to ED welcome. 

Easy scenic routes very welcome and we will have touring gear.

As we're out for a month we'd like to keep to a budget and don't mind the odd big walk in to avoid Swiss uplift costs!

I've always enjoyed visits to Italy but not been to certain areas e.g. Gressoney or Gran Paradiso other than Cogne (winter)

We're not really rock fit so will avoid the dolomites

TIA

philipjardine 09 May 2024
In reply to Rick Asher:

I skied down into the Val di Rhêmes yesterday.  Tons of snow up high and you will certainly need skis or snow shoes to get around above 2000m for a bit yet.  Most valley roads are open till the end now so that gives you lots of scope to get up high.  Most huts are shut now till June apart from winter rooms.  The Petit st Bernard (closed for a bit yet) is a good jumping off spot into the Miravidi massif.  Have a look at Gulliver.it to see what people are doing.  Its a holiday week end here with settled weather so lots of people will be out.

OP Rick Asher 10 May 2024
In reply to philipjardine:

Thanks

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...