UKC

Tent up and down in the rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 14 Aug 2023

Currently cycle touring in Europe, and the weather has been mixed.

Luckily not had to take down wet and then put up in rain.

When we have taken down wet, and re-erected in the sun it has been wet inside, but half an hour of sun, and it is dry. However i can envisage we may have to re-errect in the rain and the tent will not be able to dry, or will it?

It is a tunnel type, that goes up in one. A Hilleberg Nallo 2 if this helps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

All the advice I have had previously re Cycle touring, has really been helpful, thanks 👍

In reply to Godwin:

>>It is a tunnel type, that goes up in one. 

Removing the inner tent and storing separately, folded with groundsheet outermost, may help to keep the living space drier. 

And if you do get sunshine during the day it's worth taking a break and making time to erect the tent for a short period in order to dry it out. 

Post edited at 07:15
 DaveHK 14 Aug 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I have a Nallo 2 which I've used on long bike tours. When packing it up wet I separated the inner and outer and rolled them up separately. A bit of faff but it keeps the inner dry which is what matters. I also wipe the inside of the fly with a sponge so it wasn't totally soaking.

Jenny C 14 Aug 2023
In reply to Godwin:  Not a fan of erect in one tents.

Tried it with ours once when it was bucketing down and yes the inner was sopping wet by evening. Taking down separately takes a bit more time, but let's you store the inner separately so it stays dry.

I also find it's easier to erect as there is less to snag on the poles and you can get the tension bands set correctly - maybe that's a design for of Vango TBS tents?

In reply to Godwin:

> A Hilleberg Nallo 2 if this helps.

Can't see any discussion of separable inner on Hilleberg's site or instruction video.

Like the others, I prefer to separate the inner from the outer, and then fold/roll the inner so it is contained within the groundsheet, which will prevent it getting wet from a wet outer.

In reply to DaveHK:

> I have a Nallo 2 which I've used on long bike tours. When packing it up wet I separated the inner and outer and rolled them up separately

Thanks for confirming you can separate inner and outer; as I said, this isn't shown in Hilly's video, even though it shows a lot of other, very basic (but useful for novice) tips.

Post edited at 12:59
 nufkin 14 Aug 2023
In reply to Godwin:

>  we may have to re-errect in the rain and the tent will not be able to dry, or will it

I'm not sure quite how the mechanics work, but I've generally found that even when rolled up wet my Hilleberg's inner generally seems to wick itself to merely damp by the time it comes to putting it up for the next night. Sponging the floor might be a good call if it's particularly soaked, but generally I can't be bothered and by the time mats are down it's not really an issue.

Also trying to pitch somewhere with a bit of breeze/through-flow tends to help

OP Godwin 14 Aug 2023
In reply to DaveHK and Ron.

UKC at its best.

I posted the op having museli and a brew, by the time I started to take tent down I had my answer 👍

What a day. We had to travel so got the tent down before it rained . Within 2 miles the heavens opened for the next 18 miles.

But we found shelter, dried off, found a laundry and tumble dried our kit and then made to the campsite we had to get to make the next stage.

Now on a municipal, which I expect to cost €8 or less, eating something called Mirabels, I expected blackberries, but they are plums, €2 a kilo from a blokes garden and they are ace.

Oh and the sun 🌞 🌻 is out.

Thanks again and to everyone else 👍

Doug 14 Aug 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Mirabelles always bring back memories of my time working in Lorraine where they are common. Now living much further south but still look out for them on the local market when in season (ie now).

Also used to make 'eau de vie de Mirabelle' 

Toerag 14 Aug 2023
In reply to nufkin:

> Also trying to pitch somewhere with a bit of breeze/through-flow tends to help

^^ this. Hilleberg flysheets go so close to the ground they suffer condensation relatively easily, to the point that I've even had condensation in my inner (Kaitum2)!  A through-flow of air is pretty much essential and I open my inner doors down at least 1/3rd of the way to help with this.

LastBoyScout 14 Aug 2023
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Removing the inner tent and storing separately, folded with groundsheet outermost, may help to keep the living space drier. 

> And if you do get sunshine during the day it's worth taking a break and making time to erect the tent for a short period in order to dry it out. 

If you have to keep moving, you "could" strap it on top of your packs, so it gets a bit of air flow, but only really an option if you're sure it won't get caught in a wheel/covered in road crap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...