UKC

Campervan Insurance Questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spenser 10 May 2024

The advice on the forum always used to be Adrian Flux, however I've seen a few comments recently that they've gone downhill. The provider they arranged for my current policy (Trinity Lane Insurance) were actively unhelpful when my van was stolen last year (denied claim on a technicality, acted in a collossally arrogant manner and treated me like dirt on their shoe. The claim is now sat with the ombudsman who has found against them) so I'm feeling a bit cautious about using Adrian Flux's services again.

The van doesn't meet the DVLA criteria to be reclassified as a camper as I don't have a high top roof, side mounted awning or rear compartment window (the latter can be done sensibly, not much point in the other two given that it's a SWB Fiat Doblo with 112k miles on the clock that I use as a daily drive vehicle).

Has anyone had any good experiences with insurers that would cover an at home conversion? 

I've always understood that the installation of a bed and kitchen unit in the back of the van would mean that the van would be treated as a modified vehicle by most insurers. I presume that this actually is the case? 

Ciro 10 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

I just use the motorhome insurance comparison sites and select self-build, camper in conversation or the like. 

You have to click through and thoroughly check the policies that come up rather than trusting they'll be suitable  - quite often they'll turn out to be coach built, assume down to crap web/request design but there are quite a lot of suitable policies around.

In reply to spenser:

When I did my ex-BG VW Caddy Maxi Brentacre were very good. Had windows and seats put in. Used for work, basic van camping, had a re-map. Most of the stuff was just added onto the policy with no extra cost.

Never had to claim from them though (which always seems to be the litmus test). That said I've never heard tales of woe and I'm on a few forums for vans/VW etc. 

​​​

Hooo 10 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

I got a campervan policy with LV-Highway through A-Plan. I have claimed and I have no complaints about the service.

My van is officially a camper on the V5. I don't know if this is a requirement for the policy or if they do self build vans too. Worth asking though. I actually spoke to a real person who knew what they were talking about, rather than a web form.

Rick Graham 10 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

Bought an ex work van to convert, initially insured with Admiral as I had some no claims bonus to carry over from an old policy, about 300 / year. Said I was going to  convert but when I informed of first stage , back windows, tried to put policy up to 800, so bagged them off.

Next tried NFU , after thread on here. They wanted engineers report after every stage of conversion, end of phone call.

Been  with Just Kampers for 18 months or so now, competitive prices, no complaints. 

Stated that van was unconverted panel van and that I was intending to put back windows, bed , kitchen, wet room , toilet etc in. No hassle just tell us when its completed. On first renewal I asked if I could insure it for the belted seats I was intending to put in the back, just £30 ish extra for 5 rather than 3 insured. 

Took it to Spain this winter, JK didnt do euro breakdown but recommended a very reasonably priced partner company who insisted I got the 10% discount after I had paid full price through  impatience with a website issue, probably at my end.

On all phone calls with JK, I got the impression I was talking to campervan enthusiasts, the only downside is that I now  get regular emails about VW camper parts , which are of no interest to me whatsoever.

OP spenser 10 May 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will try LV (have heard family talk highly of their insurance in general before, didn't realise they did camper insurance too) and Just Kampers (they have some great reviews on Trust Pilot) next week. I will give Brentacre a look too.

Given my experience with current insurer I am a bit more interested in customer service and the staff being competent enough to understand the product they are selling me/ making a claim against than I previously was.

Post edited at 21:56
 andymorris17 10 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

Another +1 for Brentacre - I've been with them for 3 years now after building my van 4 years ago. I was with Adrian Flux initially but their renewal quote was ridiculously expensive. Brentacre 'mirrored' my 9+ years no-claims bonus from my car insurance policy which worked out much cheaper than building a new van ins. no-claims separately. They have always been very helpful whenever I've called them to update details/renew - always a real person too which is nice! I haven't made any claims as yet though FWIW. I've recommended them to a lot of new owners as I now work building campervans for a professional company.  

FWIW My van is not registered on the V5 as a camper/motorhome either but they (and I think most similar companies now) are happy to insure it - they understand that a lot of vans were built during lockdown and just after the DVLA changes which made it more difficult to change the classification.

Gormenghast 11 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

You need to watch out for the van/car no claims bonus bit of some insurance policies.

I used my no claims bonus, earned driving a car, when I transferred to a van/motorhome policy.

After six years I tried to transfer the no claims bonus back to a car only to be told that any no claims bonus earned whilst driving a van can’t be transferred to a car.

So several years of no claims bonus lost.🙁

Not like insurance companies to try a extract the maximum premium from their customers , is it?

Rick Graham 11 May 2024
In reply to Gormenghast:

> You need to watch out for the van/car no claims bonus bit of some insurance policies.

> I used my no claims bonus, earned driving a car, when I transferred to a van/motorhome policy.

> After six years I tried to transfer the no claims bonus back to a car only to be told that any no claims bonus earned whilst driving a van can’t be transferred to a car.

> So several years of no claims bonus lost.🙁

> Not like insurance companies to try a extract the maximum premium from their customers , is it?

They tries that one on me, I just moved to another provider.

NCB is a bit of a scam ,anyway, what matters is the bottom line/ premium price. When did anybody's renewal go down by the  percentage of the latest NCB?

I know someone who was initially quoted 1200, ten years ago, for campervan insurance. After getting this quote, spent a morning on her phone. " I have been quoted xxxx, can you do better?" Got covered for 200 a few hours later.

Rik 11 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

Just Kampers have always been helpful and knowledgeable in my experience, as well as being competitively priced. I’ve used them for the last 5 years.

Post edited at 09:11
 Kimberley 11 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

Just Kampers have been good for me.

Siward 11 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

I use a company called Shield for my self build conversion. Never had any issues with them and I can speak to a real person too.

pencilled in 11 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

We use A plan for our home converted camper. I’ve had to claim for a couple of small things and they have been pretty fair and simple so far. It is on a limited mileage per annum though, so it may not be the cheapest for more or unlimited miles. 

La benya 12 May 2024
In reply to spenser:

The service of the brokers always tends to be good. It's the service of the insurer when you actually need them that counts.

I went through brentacre for serval years and they were fine, however their insurer (Markerstudy) has been really poor during my recent claim. They are one of the insurers currently being targeted by the FCA for intentionally low balling initial offers and only correcting if/ when the claimant goes to the FOS. That has been my experience. They have under valued the van after a theft and despite Copart refusing to agree with their value, and everyone I spoke to there agreeing the value was low, they refused to increase and it's now with the FOS. 

Make sure you're happy with the name on the actual certificate, regardless of which broker you go through. 

OP spenser 12 May 2024
In reply to La benya:

Absolutely this, Just Kampers yesterday unfortunately quoted £1500 to go with Trinity Lane again, or £3000 to go with another company.

My response to Trinity Lane being suggested was rather similar to the noise I make when deciding to downclimb away from lots of loose rock on a trad route!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...