UKC

Thirlmere road access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 felt 06 Nov 2023

Many threads about this but most/all seem archived.

Here is the latest news.

https://www.change.org/p/keep-thirlmere-road-open/u/32067511

steveriley 07 Nov 2023
In reply to felt:

Thanks to everyone involved in this and keeping us informed. UU seem spectacularly out of touch with what people want, I hope Cumberland Council see sense and don't ignore the 2000+ letters of objection to the permanent closure.

Phil1919 07 Nov 2023
In reply to steveriley:

They need to close the other road to traffic and bring a bit of real wildness back to the central lakes. Cycling, buses allowed on both sides of the lake.

Bottom Clinger 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Phil1919:

Is this a serious comment?

Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> Is this a serious comment?

You have to wonder. 'A bit of real wildness' could have been achieved at Thirlmere if only they'd let that zip wire go ahead.

wercat 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Phil1919:

so people would have to make a long detour round by Matterdale End and Dockray and over Kirkstone Pass or when closed Penrith and the A6 and Kendal  to get round this obstruction.  Have you calculated the buggeration factor and excess carbon locals would have to burn?

kevin stephens 07 Nov 2023
In reply to felt:

To you think Friday’s meeting will just be a sign off formality, or will the opposing arguments carry any weight in the decision making? Also can a council actually overturn the original Act of Parliament?  

Phil1919 07 Nov 2023
In reply to wercat:

But you'd have some real wildness creep in.......and people would alter their habits given a bit of notice. Anything that reduces the 'car is king' mentality should be considered in my opinion before it all comes crashing down very soon in any event. We need to start thinking out of the box in so many different areas. There was a flock of about 15 sheep right at the summit of Helvelyn last Tuesday.......our National Parks aren't the havens of wildlife or wildness that they could be.

In reply to Phil1919: People live and work in the National Park. The A591 is handy for them getting to work, school, doctor, shops, pub etc

In reply to kevin stephens:

> People live and work in the National Park. The A591 is handy (OFTEN ESSENTIAL) for them getting to work, school, doctor, shops, pub etc

Quick edit, from someone whose family originated from Grasmere (my Dads side).  

Yes indeed, my use of "handy" was attempted irony

Phil1919 07 Nov 2023

Of course its not going to happen, but we need a bit more ambition to get nature back in balance. In my mind, it seems a good place to start. Inconvenient for us humans, but potentially really beneficial for wildlife. The north and south Lakes are fairly discrete areas. What changes would we tolerate to halt the loss of biodiversity and increase our connection with a richer natural world? 

In reply to Phil1919: well before the first people I understand the fells were largely covered  by dense woodland?

Phil1919 07 Nov 2023

Yes, that would be a good place to start. Get some more trees growing in hidden away places. It's happening, but very slowly.

Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Phil1919:

> Yes, that would be a good place to start. Get some more trees growing in hidden away places. It's happening, but very slowly.

Is it? I've been visiting the Lakes since I was a teenager and it's been obvious to me that more native trees have been planted in the last decade or two than before. I've seen them planted in Upper Eskdale, Longsleddale and Wet Sleddale. Then there's the re-wiggling of Swindale Beck and the Caldew and the more sympathetic management of the Westmorland Borrowdale. There must be others but I don't get out much in the higher fells these days.

Couple of related (pun not intended) family photos that may interest folks. The bearded bloke is my great great grandfather, using a toffee type hammer to crack pebbles is half to use as setts in the roads around Grasmere. River Rothay, on the first bend downstream from the park (where there is a bridge). The other photo shows my great grandfather, far right holding onto a horse, Wordsworth Hotel (where I think you can buy this photo asa post card). The coach was on its way to Keswick, when Thirlmere was two small lakes. 

Lankyman 07 Nov 2023

I didn't know Lemmy was your great great granddad

Phil1919 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes, there are bits and pieces of tree planting going on but not on a landscape scale that could allow nature based solutions. They could have done it with the Kendal flood scheme.

Bottom Clinger 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

He loved his rock. 

tim carruthers 08 Nov 2023

Update:

"Yesterday the Keep Thirlmere Open Petition burst through the 10,000 signatures milestone. There are signs for cautious optimism that things are starting to move in the right direction. But the road still isn't open to walkers, cyclists or motorists - so this is not time to celebrate or relax. The pressure that this group have created needs to continue until the road is finally reopened."

https://www.change.org/ThirlmereRoad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...