UKC

EU car hire - International Driving Permit

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 freeflyer 13 May 2024

I should immediately say that according to most of the information available on the internet and from reputable car hire companies, an IDP is not required for UK drivers in the EU.

However...

I recently visited Italy (Sardinia) and hired from a company that were cheap, and apparently scammers, as they claimed it was now necessary to have an IDP in Italy according to a recently passed Italian Codice, and refused to let the car out unless I bought their full insurance. My options were to walk out and pay a similar amount for a last minute car somewhere else, pay the money, or get the train and do without (not really an option).

The company in question was SurPrice via Expedia, and had I checked on TripAdvisor, the situation would have been obvious

So you can draw your own conclusions very easily. It may be worth getting an IDP anyway for the small cost and effort involved - and in case it actually does become an issue more widely. I would like to blame Brexit, but I'm pretty sure it was a straightforward Brexit-enabled scam.

ff

Alun 13 May 2024
In reply to freeflyer:

I've also had bad experiences with scammy car hire places and will only go with the established companies now. They might be more expensive when it comes to booking online, but may well try to shaft you when it comes to the moment of actually collecting the car, when they know full well you'll be tired and wanting to get on your way.

My personal sob-story was with a local outfit in Mexico who said that they had to block a 2.5K on my credit card unless I took one of their 'extra' insurance packages to bring it down lower. I almost never use a credit card so the limit on my card was way under that amount. But I was at the office (a bus ride from the terminal), tired, jet-lagged, hungry etc. so I felt I had no choice. Since then it's always Avis or Hertz for me.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...