UKC

Naranjo de bulnes and environs beta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duncan b 26 Jun 2024

I'm off to picos de Europa in a couple of weeks and after some beta for the routes on Naranjo de bulnes, particularly regarding what gear to take. I think the provisional plan is to try Rabada-Navarro first and, depending on how that goes, graduate to Murciana 78 and then possibly Soy un hombre neuvo. 

Also any recommendations for the what sports climbing, lower down, is likely to be good in mid July would be appreciated. Ideally in the 6b-7b+ range. I have the Roca Verde guide, but there's so much in it it's proving hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Finally, any food suggestions would be well received as I hear it's great in that part of the world. We'll be staying close to Inguanzo and Berodia. 

Tom Briggs 26 Jun 2024
In reply to duncan b:

It's 12 years since I've been there, so this info might be out-of-date.

We took 60m ropes. A set of cams up to #3. Some long slings. A set of wires. 15 quickdraws.

Only did Soy un Hombre Neuvo (mostly fixed gear, some wires on the top pitches). I believe you need cams on Rabada-Navarro and Murciana 78 crux (crack) pitch.

I don't have recent experience of valley sport.

Hope you get the weather!

Alun 26 Jun 2024
In reply to duncan b:

I'm off there in September, so interested in the replies.

The Rockfax app has a mini-guide for El Naranjo (or Pico Urriellu) which has the basic info. Dozens of trip reports online in Spanish if you can manage that (or with Google Translate)  

I purchased this guidebook recently: https://www.libreriadesnivel.com/libros/cabrales-guia-de-escalada-de-aventu... which is very good if you are after more multipitch in the region in your grade range - great full colour topos, maps, very detailed route descriptions etc (all in Spanish though). I can see us using it more than the Roca Verde guide, which as you say is quite difficult to see what's good vs not-so-good.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking about camping up there, which had a couple of interesting trip reports which you might be interested in: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/destinations/naranjo_de_bulnes_refuge_vs_...

Please update us when you get back, with your recommendations!  

Si Witcher 26 Jun 2024
In reply to duncan b:

For valley cragging in that grade range, we were there last August, camping near Avin. We rated Poo de Cabrales (brill tufa) and Cerro Corona (big uphill approach but cool when you get there). Berodia was also nice but a bit smaller (more 2* than 3*). Climbing in the shade was great.

duncan 26 Jun 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Beta is 8 years old. Did the R-N with one rack of totems including the orange, 5-6 medium wires, 14 or so quick draws, and some slings. This was fine for a team who were onsighting 7a and 7b+ at the time and had had a good amount of experience of similar routes in The Dolomites, Switzerland and Yosemite. There is not much fixed gear except on the second 6c pitch but usually something where you really need it. You can escape from the first 6 pitches back down the route (tested) or down Murciana 78 from the traverse to the top of the grand dihedral (not tested). After that you escape upwards. We had 50m ropes which were fine although we moved together for short bits to link pitches on the easier ground after the traverse. Thought the two hard pitches were about E3, would be ~6a+ with 2-3 points of aid, took us about 8 hours.

Murciana 78 looks excellent. Have not done it but others suggest the 7a A0 version was technically a bit harder but, overall, not as tough a day as the R-N. If you're intending to do it completely free you probably don't need our advice.

Also did Leiva as far as the amphitheatre. Did not continue as one member of the team dropped half our gear! A very good Céüse-esque 6c which might make a good warm-up if you wanted something shorter (and sharper) than the R-N. Easy abseil decent down Sagitario from here. 

There are also some good-looking shorter routes on the South and East faces but the West face is the main event.

We used online material from Spanish blogs (some via Tom Briggs - thanks!). Now have the Alberto Boza Picu Uriellu guidebook which is multilingual and has clear phototopos of all the good stuff on the mountain although pricy at about £1 per route!   https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Media/Guidebooks/Spain-Portuga...

Have done a couple of days sport climbing at Rumenes which is not extensive but very good in the 7a-7c+ range. Chorreras gets the shade from about 2pm. https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/rumenes_hermida_gorge_north-9483/

Best of luck with the weather; when it's good it's very, very good.

OP duncan b 26 Jun 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Brilliant. Thanks for that everyone who responded. Really useful. 🤞for the weather. 

dominic o 27 Jun 2024
In reply to duncan b:

We climbed Murciana 78 (7a) in August last year. Mega route. Trip report here with some beta about the hut logistics etc too.

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2023/08/19/naranjo-de-bulnes-or-picu-urrie...

Adding to the comment by other Duncan, we decided on Murciana rather than R-N because it looked like a shorter day out and we had a pretty dodgy forecast. I certainly wouldn't be put off by the 7a and 7c+ pitches - they're both well bolted and it only takes a bit of jiggery pokery to aid them. Either way, you'll have a blast! 

Enjoy! Cheers, Dom 

dominic o 27 Jun 2024
In reply to dominic o:

Slideshow version here courtesy of the Rucksack Club - fast forward to around 20mins in for the Neranjo de Bulnes bit or enjoy the whole hour or so for some other inspiring routes featured in Parois de Légende. 

vimeo.com/922844737

Cheers, Dom 

OP duncan b 28 Jun 2024
In reply to dominic o:

Thanks Dom. I actually came across your blog during the course of my research but will be sure to check out your slideshow. Sounds like a great trip!

OP duncan b 28 Jun 2024
In reply to dominic o:

> Slideshow version here courtesy of the Rucksack Club - fast forward to around 20mins in for the Neranjo de Bulnes bit or enjoy the whole hour or so for some other inspiring routes featured in Parois de Légende. 

> Cheers, Dom 

Thanks for sharing this. I found the whole thing very inspirational, not just the Neranjo de Bulnes section.

Nathan Adam 28 Jun 2024
In reply to duncan b:

We only made it as far as half way up P5 on Murciana so can’t say about above that, we were late starting and found the climbing harder than expected hence the bail. You can get down from each belay (equipped with two bolts and rings) on 50m ropes. 

I used a full set of cams (small blue dragon - big blue) on 6a P3 with a few bolts and pegs in between. The crux pitch has three bolts up to the crack and then needs cams to get past the first section, there’s some fixed threads above that but can be backed up with more gear. The bolt ladder is very generous, 7c+ free apparently. Rockfax has P5 as 6c but local topos has it as 6c+/7a but again can be aided. Above that I think it’s a lot of HVS/E1 with little fixed gear so needs a full rack again.

We went in August and found the valleys painfully hot, had to go high or start super early to get things done before it got too warm. This was from two pasty Scotsmen however so depends how well you deal with the heat. There’s definitely sport climbing in the Hermida Gorge that is shaded at certain times of day and many locals were out and about in the evenings when we found it still too warm to function. 

Simon King 29 Jun 2024
In reply to duncan b:

There currently, Hermidia area...in the mist waiting for a weather window. Pick the crags in Roca Verde with more circles - see diagram at front of guide, top left. More circles = better crag.

Fraser 29 Jun 2024
In reply to Simon King:

I'd also suggest taking the noted hours for when crags are in the sun / share with a large punch of salt. We found many crags in the book had completely incorrect information regarding these times. 

Post edited at 08:08
 UKB Shark 29 Jun 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Good thread and timely for me. I’m out there mid August to early Sept without a climbing partner so if anyone wants to hook up let me know. 

OP duncan b 22 Jul 2024
In reply to Alun:

> Please update us when you get back, with your recommendations!  

Just got back from an excellent trip. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice. We lucked out with the weather and spent 4 days up at Naranjo de Bulnes as well as a few days sport climbing. 

In terms of logistics for Naranjo de Bulnes, contrary to some earlier reports, we had no issues finding parking at the road head at Collado de Pandebano. This may have been because we arrived during the week at Monday lunchtime. It was a lot busier when we returned Friday evening, although there were still parking spaces available. Although you don't need a 4x4, the road up is pretty rough so something with some clearance is advisable. The walk in took us about 2.5 hours. We decided to camp (spots were plentiful and obvious, just outside the refugio) and eat evening meals in the hut. The food was ok and there was certainly enough to fill us up. These can be booked online in advance - https://www.reservarefugios.com/en/booking. You can pay 50% when booking and the rest, in cash, when you arrive. Beer (€3.50), wine (€18), sandwiches and snacks are also available from the hut. Again, despite some reports I read, there seemed to be no problems in us using the toilets throughout the day. Although there's no phone reception by the hut, there is at various points on the walk-in and also on the cliff itself. 

In terms of climbing, I thought this site had the best topos and route descriptions at https://fernandozamoraguiadepicos.com/en/climbing-topos/naranjo-de-bulnes/ . We climbed Sagitario which felt about E1. Note the topo is a little misleading on pitch 4. It's actually easier, and safer, to take the right hand variant. We did Rabada-Navarro, which felt about E3/4 with most of the difficulty contained within the first two pitches. The first being bouldery and the second more sustained. We also climbed Murciana 78. The 3rd (or 4th if going by Rockfax) pitch felt about 7a (mostly on fixed gear, but some cams up a steep crack) to a A0 bolt ladder comprising of about 10 bolts (7c+ free). The next pitch has a move on it which is far harder than the other climbing on the pitch. We pulled on the bolt past this and felt the pitch warranted 6c with this aid point. It gets 7a to free in the local guide but even this seemed harsh. The move felt really hard! The rest of the route is run out HVS/E1 on absolutely immaculate rock. Overall, I think Murciana 78 has the better climbing than Rabada-Navarro, despite the aid shenanigans. Finally, we had a play on the first pitch of Soy un Hombre Nuevo where the meat of the 7b+ grade seems to boil down to about 2m of climbing. Too hard for me, but not for my climbing partner. We took a full rack of totems, camalot size 3, 1-10 DMM wires, 16 quickdraws and 2 slings which seemed fine for everything we did. The descent from Naranjo de Bulnes is well described here https://fernandozamoraguiadepicos.com/en/climbing-topos/directa-de-los-mart... , although what isn't mentioned is that it takes another hour or so to walk back to the hut (past the impressive east face) after descending the south face. 

Some of the sport climbing was absolutely world class. In particular Rumenes, Urdon and Catiusca which are all in the Hermida gorge, or there abouts. We also visited Poo de Cabrales, which I thought was a little overrated but we only did a couple of routes before the sun hit and Cerro Corona which is a little scrappy although in a lovely setting. 

Alun 22 Jul 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Amazing - thanks for the update!

OP duncan b 22 Jul 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Just to add, we used a combination of mountain-forecast.com and meteoblue which seemed broadly accurate. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...