UKC

Northern Spain/Picos - where to stay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 24 Jun 2024

We've just booked our ferry to Santander for a weeks family holiday in northern spend end-August.  2 adults, 2 kids (11 and 13).

We're planning on heading to the Picos area for about 4 nights, with a plan to walk, climb, via ferrata and cycle.  Hoping UKC can help with suggestions on where to base ourselves, ideal would be easy access to activities, pleasant surroundings and places to grab some food in the evenings.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has stayed in Riano, which looks like it ticks the boxes, but also open to other suggestions.

Fraser 24 Jun 2024
In reply to Sam W:

I was climbing in the area last October and we stayed in Potes, which I would definitely recommend. There were a few local crags but we had to drive slightly further to get to the ones where we really wanted to climb. But as a good, central base it was excellent with some good eateries and a decent buzz about the place in a lovely setting.

A word of warning though, we had the worst meal I've ever eaten at a place called Casa Guela which is a tourist trap. We should have known better but found out too late that it's well known in the town for its hideous quality food. The central location is amazing but it's to be avoided at all cost. Just over the bridge however is another restaurant Casa Cayo which was excellent, as well as a great pizzeria, Restaurant la Serna just a bit further up the road.

I'd not been there before but Potes seemed to be a very popular place for walkers and visitors and was undoubtedly somewhere I'd go back to. There's lots to see and do in a very picturesque location with a great atmosphere.

iani 24 Jun 2024
In reply to Sam W:

I can recommend Casa Gustavo in Potes. 

Si Witcher 24 Jun 2024
In reply to Sam W:

We stayed at a great campsite last Summer on the North side of the Picos, just East of Avin on the AS-114, called Camping Picos de Europa. It's a big site with large indoor pool plus outdoor pools and the best feature was a good canteen-style restaurant on site at the campsite which was great value and very popular whenever open. It was a bit of a drive Eastwards to get into the Picos and Sotres / Bulnes 30-40mins?

GrahamD 24 Jun 2024
In reply to Sam W:

There is a great site on the road from Potes to Fuenta De. 

Jesus_C 24 Jun 2024
In reply to Sam W:

Sotres is another option. Different options for accomodation and food. We stayed in the hostel. Quite basic but good.

Lots of activities from there

pete osullivan 26 Jun 2024
In reply to Sam W:

Espinama is well located

OP Sam W 27 Jun 2024
In reply to Sam W:

Thanks for the responses.  We've booked an apartment in Potes, looking forward to getting out and exploring some new mountains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...