UKC

Northumberland Campsite Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oscaig 25 Jun 2024

Am planning a Northumberland trip in August (first time) and looking for  recommendations for a campsite that's handy for both Crag Lough/Peel and Simonside/Ravensheugh areas. Seem to be lots of family camping sites all singing and dancing sites (with associated big prices per pitch) but any good climbers' sites we should check out (preferably in staggering distance to a pub)?  :-D 

Cheers, 

DaveHK 25 Jun 2024
In reply to oscaig:

Bellingham would work for both but I'm not sure of the status of the campsite. There was one that closed but it looks like it may be open again. Winshields near the Twice Brewed is nice and very handy for the Whin Sill crags.

Post edited at 22:17
 NorthernGoat 25 Jun 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/campsites-in-northumberland/newcastle-up...

This might be the closest to being in between the 2. Nearest pub might be a jaunt though (dyke neuk?) It's also next to Shaftoe if you like a bit of sandstone bouldering. 

To be honest the touristy areas are along the coast so that where most campsites are. 

How long are you here for? You might be better off going closer the coast, maybe nearer Alnwick. Then you could do Simonside, Kyloe, the weird sea cliffs by dunstanburgh (bird restrictions might apply) Bowden and whatever that crag over hanging the river Coquet is. Also when the weather craps out you could go to the castles.... 

JDal 26 Jun 2024
In reply to oscaig:

It all depends on what you mean by "handy". It takes 1hr to drive between Simonside & Crag Lough, so perfect would be half an hours drive away from each. The Bolam Lake suggestion isn't bad, 45 mins to Crag Lough, but nowhere near a pub (4 shitty road miles to The Ox, no food). I can't even think of a campsite within half an hour of Simonside (I live in that area). Maybe The Railway Inn at Acklington would be the best, close to Jack Rock and 35 mins from Simonside. There's nothing worth doing on the coast.

Robert Durran 26 Jun 2024
In reply to oscaig:

I've used and liked this one. Basic and spacious. Reasonably priced.

Greencarts Campsite and Bunkhouse
01434 681320

https://g.co/kgs/8CdjNbR

OP oscaig 26 Jun 2024
In reply to oscaig:

Thanks all, some good looking suggestions that I'll check out.  I also get that these areas aren't particularly close to each other and we may end up choosing to base ourselves closer to one than another.  Cheers

In reply to oscaig:

I'd look for two spots and move. We stayed near Alnwick/Wooler to do the stuff up there, and near Haltwhistle to do the stuff around there. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...