UKC

Ortisei in July - logistics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all 

Looking for advice on logistics for anyone who's been to Ortisei.

Trying to book a trip to the Dolomites in a month's time. Booking quite late as I've been pretty unwell since a concussion last year and didn't know if I'd be able to do the trip, but we can't move the dates. I still can't do much, but hoping to spend some time in nice scenery and maybe do some short walks etc. Very easy via ferrata if health plays ball.

We won't have a car and it seems that buses are fine to get us around Ortisei, but getting there is a real problem. Public transport seems to take about four hours and flights either get in too late, or leave too early, to travel between there and the airport on the same day (it seems that even flying back at lunchtime or arriving at 4pm don't leave enough time...). (Some similar issues with getting to the airport at this end, but I think we can drive that leg.)

We only seem to be able to get an apartment Sat to Sat, so that constrains our flights.

Question - does anyone know of any group transfers from Verona (assuming that's the best airport - Bolzano seems to be way too expensive) or similar affordable method? A private taxi seems to cost as much as the flight, but surely there must be group shuttles somewhere...? 

We're in Sheffield so we're relaxed on which airport we fly from in the UK, but there don't actually seem to be loads of options - currently looking at Ryanair from Manchester but had also considered EasyJet from Gatwick.

Cheers.

In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

You can fly to Innsbruck, and (according to Rome 2 Rio) there are more options for public transport - bus in under 2 hrs. If nothing else there may be better flight options to catch a decent link. 

Jimmy D 01 Jul 2024
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

Have done a good few trips to Dolomites without car, always flying into and out of Venice, then going North either by bus, Taxi or transfer as part of a Collett’s organised trip. The latter used to offer transfer-only if they had space on their buses. Might be worth checking out

In reply to Jimmy D:

Oh thank you, I'll have a look - tbh the rest of the trip is proving a headache so I'll see if they can help. Thank you! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...