UKC

Views on relative grades: El Chorro and San Vito vs Kalymnos

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Orlando 27 Apr 2024

Hi Folks,

Looking for an alternative to Kalymnos for autumn climbing for a mixed group climbing all grades. We are used to soft Kalymnos grades and need enough below Kaly 5c for some of our varied group to be happily occupied for 2 weeks .. 

How do graded at El Chorro and San Vito compare? Have heard Italian grades are much tougher, but El Chorro may be more similar to Kaly?

If anyone has experience it is much appreciated

Thanks!

tjekel 29 Apr 2024
In reply to Orlando:

Yes, I feel San Vito is a touch tougher then Kaly, but still not really stiff. There is enough around for a long holiday up to Kaly 5c.

Other areas that should fit the bill: La Turbie/Monaco and around; Orpierre; Buis le Baronnies; Alpilles (Orgon), Seynes in France. All reachable by public transport.

oceanwaves742 29 Apr 2024
In reply to Orlando:

I've been to all three destinations in the past year, I would disagree that Italian grades are much tougher. The main cliff at San Vito is over 2km long with regular easy routes/sections. It didn't seem like there's many quality routes in the 4s but the rock produces plenty of high quality juggy routes from about 5b.

OP Orlando 30 Apr 2024
In reply to tjekel:

Thanks!

OP Orlando 30 Apr 2024
In reply to oceanwaves742:

Thanks .

ZacMoss 30 Apr 2024
In reply to Orlando:

El Chorro is the place for you. Lots of things in the 5s and 4s including several bolted multipitches. Never been to San Vito so can't compare.

OP Orlando 02 May 2024
In reply to ZacMoss:

thanks!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...