UKC

French bolt words

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philipjardine 15 Jul 2024

There are lots of words for different bolts in French.  bis (confusingly often written lower case), scellements etc. As far as I know Brits refer to them all as "bolts".  Or are there other words I dont know?  Anyone got a good list?

Rick Graham 15 Jul 2024
In reply to philipjardine:

A few off the top of my head, others will be able l to add loads to the list.

English word list so used by climbers both sides of the pond.

Bolt.  Drive in. Through bolt. Rawlbolt. Peg bolt.

Thunder bolt  . Golo.  Staple. Glue in.

Trouble is that in addition  to the US Canadien British use of the English language most climbers anyway are unsure of the correct ,if there is one, terminology.

In reply to Rick Graham:

Pegbolts are pegs, not bolts....

🍿🍿🍿

Rick Graham 15 Jul 2024
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

There are at least two types of pegbolt.

The modern Gogarth ones and that like used on the Compressor route , Cerro Torre and closer to home on R+S Special, Langdale.

Clipped one lot a few times, only seen pictures of the other.

john arran 15 Jul 2024

Modern bolts placed for climbing tend to fall into 2 categories: Expansion bolts (Goujons in French) and Glue-ins (Broches).

Obviously there are many variations, in terms of materials, diameter, shape, etc., and now there are removable bolts to muddy the waters, but the two main categories convey the main difference in terms of how the bolt is secured.

RR 16 Jul 2024
In reply to john arran:

Spit for the old bot type?

OP philipjardine 16 Jul 2024
In reply to john arran:

thats very helpful John.  Are all "broches (FR)" "glue-ins (ENG)"?  

"Broches (FR)" are also "ice screws (ENG)".  

In reply to john arran:

And there was me thinking a Goujon was a rather delicious chicken snack.

In reply to RR:

> Spit for the old bot type?

Fairly sure Spit (manufactured by SPIT) is a type of Goujon.

Suncream 16 Jul 2024

But in French you say "broche à glace" to distinguish. Having said that, il y a une broche à glace dans Une Jeune Fille Quatre Vingt Dix Ans (E8 6c)

Suncream 16 Jul 2024

That may be true but in my experience "spit" is used pretty commonly and generically for (expansion) bolts

jon 16 Jul 2024

> Fairly sure Spit (manufactured by SPIT) is a type of Goujon.

Yes, 'spits' as we call them are made by SPIT. However, they diiffer from expansion bolts in that they are a self drilling sleeve which is expanded by placing a conical wedge into the end and then the sleeve pounded into the hole thus expanding the sleeve. A short stubby bolt is then screwed into the outer end securing the hanger. They are rather old skool and it's pretty rare nowadays to find new ones being placed. They seem to be the 'go-to' word for Brits.

They are not to be confused with an expansion bolt which protrudes from the rock requiring a nut to secure the hanger. These are generally referred to as 'goujons' and 'plaquettes'.

A glue-in can indeed be referred to as a 'broche', but equally as a 'scellement' which may be more common.

An overall term for points of fixed protection without having to define them, is simply 'points'. 

Post edited at 12:40
In reply to Suncream:

> But in French you say "broche à glace" to distinguish. Having said that, il y a une broche à glace dans Une Jeune Fille Quatre Vingt Dix Ans (E8 6c)

you are right but the "à glace" is often left out and the meaning is obvious from the context.  Also used as a verb "brocher".

CantClimbTom 16 Jul 2024
In reply to john arran:

I saw Chicken Goujons on a pub menu recently, must have lead to some very sketchy protection placed if people got confused 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...