UKC

Old Shoes Identification

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paddy Duncan 02 Jul 2024

Hi All,

I had a pair of hybrid rock boot/approach shoes which I stupidly threw away before realising I want a new pair, and I've forgotten what they are. I bought them 20-ish years ago, description as follows:

They had yellow leathery-ish uppers, the front soles were proper-ish rock boot style, and the rears had black octopus-like tread and wedge-shaped thick-ish grey padding - basically half trainer half rock shoe.

Googling hasn't helped at all.. Does anyone know or remember what they might be? Any clues much appreciated, thanks

DaveHK 02 Jul 2024
In reply to Paddy Duncan:

5.10 Ascent?

OP Paddy Duncan 02 Jul 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks, very close but not those.... I remember wanting these but couldn't find them so I bought the xxxxxxxothers. Sad to see these don't exist now and presume it's the same for... whatever they were

To complete the description, mine were lace-up

Edit - Thanks @DaveHK - I found them after googling the 5.10s, they were Scarpa Marathon, and yeah they're history now too apparently

Post edited at 20:31
 petegunn 04 Jul 2024

The Sportiva Rock Jock maybe? More of a via ferrata shoe than a rock climbing shoe but it was/is yellow!?

mickyv33 04 Jul 2024

There are currently a pair of Five-Ten ascents on ebay in a size 7 FYI

Yak-muhahahaha 04 Jul 2024

Yeah, Scarpa Marathons as you have found. I had a pair bitd and they were perfect for big routes with a long walk-out. Very comfy.

Cobra_Head 04 Jul 2024

Seems we're not allowed (probably not buying enough) of the comfy shoes.

I started with the 5.10 Ascents, but moved on to Mad Rock Frenzy when they stopped making the 5.10s, they've stopped the Frenzys about 8 years ago!

Luckily I've got three pairs but they've been resoled a lot of times and are showing their age.

Not sure where I'm going next though

OP Paddy Duncan 05 Jul 2024
In reply to mickyv33:

Damn... they might fit if I cut my toes off

JimmAwelon 05 Jul 2024

Just thought that I would add the Red Chili Tornado as another long gone hybrid rock shoe alongside the Scarpa Marathon, 5:10 Ascent and La Sportiva RockJock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...