UKC

Winter boots - stretching them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
AJM 23 Nov 2003
Hi,

I've got a pair of winter boots (Scarpa Matterhorns) which are currently a bit to narrow across my foot (only the tiniest amount, no major misfit).

I've got 2 questions about this:

1. I've been told by 2 people that soaking them, and then wearing until they dry out, will work at making them mould to my foot, including stretching them. However, I have someone else who has told me that soaking them and wearing them will cause them to shrink, which is obviously no use, as the problem is tightness at the moment. Who is right? (please only reply if you know what you're on about, or have done it, as I cant afford to buy a new pair if it all goes wrong)

2. Boot stretchers - Anywhere in the London area that will do a good job at stretching them out sideways a little?

Many thanks

AJM
OP AJM 24 Nov 2003
In reply to AJM:

OK, anyone, please? Surely someone must have some advice to help me out here.

AJM
Armchair 24 Nov 2003
In reply to AJM:

Are Matterhorns leather or plastic? If they're leather, read on...

A friend of mine had his boots stretched by Rock+Run in Ambleside last year over some bent bar type device, just by putting pressure on the boot with rounded bar inside.

Now, I've heard mixed information about this technique, i.e. it can weaken the stitching or bonding to the sole. It can also stretch the leather too much and cause that to be weaker too, but My mate he says it certainly helped his feet as boots don't feel as tight anymore.

A decent outdoor shop selling boots should be able to do this for you, depending on the boot construction.
OP AJM 24 Nov 2003
In reply to AJM:

Yeah, theyre leather, so thanks for the hints, I'll try outdoors shops in London.

Anyone any ideas about water - yes or no?
OP chris tan 24 Nov 2003
In reply to AJM:

1. Had a pair of boots stretched by Timpsons, the high street cobblers, costs a few quid and took about a week.

2. Not sure about the water thing? You do wear these boots outdoors, don't you? & they will wet!
MacTheAxe 24 Nov 2003
In reply to AJM: Soak the boots in luke warm water then wear them for a couple of hours, preferably while out on a walk, leave to dry naturally, repeat the process. It may take 3 or 4 times but the boots will eventually give to the shape of your feet. The boots won't shink anything shaller than their dry fit. This process benefits by being cheaper than taking to a shop to be streached but does require some input of effort. This was the process I used with new boots when I was in the Army and was sucessful with the most uncomfortable boots on earth!!
J9 24 Nov 2003
I had my winter boots stretched in a shop (put in plastic bag into water to make the leather supple,then strectched on a bar), seems to have worked perfectly. I used to work for Cotswold (in Reading) and there were a couple of staff members trained to do this. Probably one of the Cotswold stores in London has who know (see www.9feet.com) how to do it. Make sure it's someone who knows what they're doing though...
Miniactionman 24 Nov 2003
In reply to AJM:

i used to work in Outside in Llanberis (now infamously called V12)and for minor problems with boot fit we used to get the boot on a 'rubbing bar' ( abit of a misnomer because rubbing is not the best way with modern lined boots, more of a push than a rub!). This is a curved bar that slides inside the boot and is used to manipulate the shape of the boot from the inside. Heavy handed use could damage the boot (either stitching, lining or pushing the rand off) so take it to someone you can trust to do it for you. if it is only a minor 'pinch' on the inside of the boot this should work. I personally have stretched a few boots for people, generally in the toe box area and it has worked OK. it does take time to slowly stretch or reshape the leather so be prepared to spend some money in the shop you go to whilst you are waiting!
ML 24 Nov 2003
In reply to AJM: I have a pair of leather 4 season boots. When I first got them i soaked them in luke warm water (several hours) until the leather was saturated and then put them on. It helps the boots conform to the shape of your feet which usually means a increase in width. Allow them to dry naturally don't try to speed up this process as it will deform the leather. This will occur in time with use anyway (4 season leather boots take a long time) so if you physically stretch the boots before wearing them in you run the risk of having boots which are slightly to big in a year or so
Toby M 24 Nov 2003
In reply to ML: If Matterhorns are like Nepal Extremes,they will have a plastic toe-box, which will not stretch at all in luke warm water. If you're a bit mad, like me, you could try by boiling the boots up, to soften the plastic and rubber rand,and then using a boot-stretcher. If you have some sense you'd probably take them to a qualified boot-fitter.
 droites 24 Nov 2003
In reply to AJM:
try surgery or a new pair of boots
ML 24 Nov 2003
In reply to Toby M: I appologise, I didn't know this, but was under the impression that they were only leather.
OP AJM 24 Nov 2003
In reply to AJM:

How far back would the toe-box stretch, at a guess? they are narrow across at the base of my little toe - would there still be toe-box there, or is it as the name suggests right at the front of the boot?

Thanks to all so far for the helpful advice, the boots might get a soaking soon.....

AJM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...