UKC

ITB syndrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wainright 03 Jul 2024

Hi folks,

Anyone here that has suffered from lateral knee pain from IT band issues?

I have had bouts of this in the past, which is why I know what it is. Literally damn near impossible while out on a hike the other day to descend off the hill because the pain was so bad, but then another time I can go out and have no issues, it makes no sense from one walk to another.

Anyway, if anyone has suffered with this and can offer any words of wisdom or what helped, it would be appreciated.

rattusrattus 03 Jul 2024
In reply to wainright:

I had it horrendously a few years ago. I did a month of physio where I strengthened my glutes and hip flexors.

It occasionally flares up again, but has been in check for the past few years. I first got it as we got to the top of Pen Y Fan on a very cold and windy day, the walk down was one of the most miserable and slow experiences I've ever had.

A temporary fix I found was using an ITB strap above my knee. As long as I hadn't let it flare up, it would allow me to have big hiking days with no pain. Obviously not a long term solution, but it did let me have some fun in the hills whilst doing the physio.

Richard Horn 03 Jul 2024
In reply to wainright:

I have in the past suffered really badly with ITB, particularly when running, on many occasions I got to the point where I just had to stop and walk. Also have suffered with it cycling on occasions, mainly longer distance routes, started with my lower back feeling sore, then progressed to ITB starting to hurt.

However, I have managed to largely get rid of it and the key was to start gym strength training - twice per week through the winter, and keeping up once every 10 days or so through the summer. I was at the time looking specifically at cycle strength training (e.g. TrainerRoad has a good article) - they key exercises are squats (single and two legged) and deadlifts - but I think these exercises are pretty universal core exercises.

Post edited at 14:19
OP wainright 03 Jul 2024
In reply to rattusrattus:

Many thanks for your input, I know, it comes and goes and sometimes doesn't happen at all.

It has been diagnosed by 2 different physios in the past (which is why I know what it is) but the stretches were next to useless.

I honestly don't know how I got off the hill the other day, it was really bad in one knee & then started in the other, it was the most painful descent with lots of swearing

jj-1992 03 Jul 2024
In reply to wainright:

Not quite the same but I get random occurrences of knee pain which like you make it very difficult to descend off the hill at times, then other days completely fine with no pain. Mine tends to be just under the knee cap though so slightly different presentation.

I had found that wearing a knee support helped and then taking some ibuprofen or other anti inflammatory have helped when the pain occurs. Got fed up with that and booked an MRI which told me nothing and then saw a physio who worked on general strengthening of the leg muscles to support the knee better which so far has helped quite a bit. 

It did take a few different physios to find one with an approach that worked for me though.

Post edited at 14:24
OP wainright 03 Jul 2024
In reply to Richard Horn:

Thank you. It is the most horrible pain, particularly going downhill

Welsh Kate 03 Jul 2024
In reply to wainright:

Hard luck. I've had this too in the past (and only occasional twinges now). Key things were orthotics to ensure all the bones from foot to pelvis were in proper alignment, and squats. Both legs to begin with, then single leg squats, then single leg squats on a wobbly surface (cushion at home, Bosu ball at the gym).

OP wainright 03 Jul 2024
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Hi Kate,

Horrible isn't it! getting the right treatment is hard, been given exercises in the past that have proved pointless, 

nathan79 03 Jul 2024
In reply to wainright:

I feel your pain. It's been a few years but I remember that stabbing pain at the side of the knee all too well.

Have you tried orthotics? I have flat feet and arch support was a near instantaneous solution for me. I've paid more attention to stuff like glute and abductor strength in recent times which had also helped but initially insoles were a godsend.

Timy2 03 Jul 2024
In reply to wainright:

Hi,

Yes!  I had it for first time in March this year coming down off the Fitzroy trek in Patagonia.  Walking down steps on the last 2 km I was really struggling, having to step sideways down small steps(Ive been walking, running, cycling, ski touring in mountains all my life, I'm 61).  Only hurts when going downhill, on flat no probs.  Reading about it  people suggest you take shorter steps going downhill which makes sense.  i think what caused mine was taking long stretched steps downhill and sliding on scree.  Currently doing some physio for it.

Dave the Rave 03 Jul 2024
In reply to wainright:

. I had this 25 years ago and can empathise.

Generally it’s a weakness/shortness and overuse injury.

The pain emanates from the ITB snapping over the lateral femoral epicondylle ( bony bit on the outside of your knee).

You are best being assessed to find out what’s weak and short (muscle wise) but here’s a helpful starter. 
Descend any stairs with the painful leg first and don’t step past it with the other leg so that the painful leg doesn’t bend.

Ascend with the good leg first so that it takes all the load.

Avoid any painful activities, walking on hills/ cycling/ anything where the knee has to bend under load.

Ice it as per icing guidelines.

Strengthen your core. Beginners Pilates exercises.

Google side lying clams and do until fatigue, multiple sets on both legs plus bridging if you can.

Stretch your quads in prone lying.

Stretch hamstrings, gluteals and calves.

A proper sports massage helped mine a lot, but beware, it’s very painful.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...