UKC

North Pennines access restrictions?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Pete Pozman 11 Jul 2024

I fancy doing Long Man Hill tomorrow from the Pennine Way.  A couple of years ago there was a temporary access restriction shown on a map in Garrigill.  Is the restriction in place just now?

mrphilipoldham 11 Jul 2024
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Nothing showing on the Natural England Open Access portal so you should be alright.

Guy Hurst 11 Jul 2024
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I often walk in that area and have never seen an access restriction around there. I last walked that section of the Pennine Way about six months ago, on a round taking in Cross Fell, and there were no restrictions then. I don't know of any reason there should be any in place now, unless it's to prevent lovers of little visited hills sinking up to their necks in bog.

If you fancy a longer day, I reckon the approach from the Penrith to Alston road, heading along the Maiden Way and branching off at the Melmerby Shop, is more interesting.

OP Pete Pozman 16 Jul 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

> I often walk in that area and have never seen an access restriction around there. I last walked that section of the Pennine Way about six months ago, on a round taking in Cross Fell, and there were no restrictions then. I don't know of any reason there should be any in place now, unless it's to prevent lovers of little visited hills sinking up to their necks in bog.

This is what I saw last year.

wintertree 16 Jul 2024
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Standard guidance is to stick to paths March till August due to ground nesting birds and the summit isn’t serviced by a path.  The secondary summit a few hundred meters SSE is almost as high and is on a rough track.

Weather has been a bit wiggy in the general area recently; I’m hoping it improves for the weekend.

wintertree 16 Jul 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

> If you fancy a longer day, I reckon the approach from the Penrith to Alston road, heading along the Maiden Way and branching off at the Melmerby Shop, is more interesting.

Have you ever visited the Cash Force waterfall in that area?  I’m looking for pros and cons on picking up the river south of the Alston road and following it vs taking the Maiden Way and then the track through Smittergill Head and beyond…

As much as I’m a fan of knee deep bog punctuated by meter high peat hags, given the state of the lowlands this “summer” I think I need to be more discerning than normal about the tops if I don’t want to end up as a “bog body” in a museum some distant day…

Post edited at 22:35
 Guy Hurst 16 Jul 2024
In reply to wintertree:

I believe my son and I chanced across the waterfall one evening when descending from Bullman Hills. I hadn't registered before then that there was a pretty major waterfall there. It was impressive, although there hadn't been anywhere near as much rain as we've had this summer.

On that occasion we'd come in along the Smittergill Head way, but I've also accessed that country along a track starting near Alston. I don't recall that either route involves the very worst Pennine bogs, but so much depends on the weather.

OP Pete Pozman 17 Jul 2024
In reply to wintertree:

> Standard guidance is to stick to paths March till August due to ground nesting birds and the summit isn’t serviced by a path.  The secondary summit a few hundred meters SSE is almost as high and is on a rough track.

> Weather has been a bit wiggy in the general area recently; I’m hoping it improves for the weekend.

Think I'll wait till the shooting finishes now. I rescued a lamb from a hole full of peat porridge last year. Certainly a serious hazard for a human.

wintertree 17 Jul 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

That track from near Alston looks interesting, especially if the golf club are amenable to overnight parking and a donation for night hikes.  I was surprised to find out when reading around something nearby that there is decent sized waterfall I’d not heard about.

> I don't recall that either route involves the very worst Pennine bogs, but so much depends on the weather.

Just going from Bowlees carpark to Gibson’s Cave was sketchy enough with mud today.  In mid summer…

wintertree 17 Jul 2024
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Think I'll wait till the shooting finishes now. I rescued a lamb from a hole full of peat porridge last year. Certainly a serious hazard for a human.

No parking left at Sharnberry Gill due to a shoot this morning so no walk down a glacial overflow channel for me today. There may be bog but the patches of bilberry are looking more verdant than I can ever recall.  

Guy Hurst 17 Jul 2024
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Walking to the north of the Penrith to Alston road with a friend earlier this year, near Tom Smith's Stone, we were surprised when a hang glider pilot started shouting instructions down to us on how to avoid the worst of the bog. I think it was this distraction which caused my friend to step into a mire in which he sank to his waist. I didn't laugh at all.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 18 Jul 2024
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I just wonder if those of a goml persuasion have any idea of how many sheep we collectively rescue. I have howked quite a few lambs out of water with an inviting green cover.  

Was having a short brutal fight with some Kielder moorland (Carter Bar is there for a reason!) yesterday and the compensation was one of the best blaeberry feasts ever.  Rasps lower down too.  And what a year for flowers.

Post edited at 08:43

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...