UKC

Single room supplements

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 bleddynmawr 08 Jul 2024

Hi all,

I was widowed last year and am thinking about doing some long distance walks using a company to book accommodation and maybe transfer luggage between B&B's. Two questions, is it worth the expense or should I book accommodation myself, and are there companies that don't charge upwards of £60 quid a night single supplement? It really stings to pay extra to be reminded of the loss!

Godwin 08 Jul 2024
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I am sorry to hear of your loss, difficult times.

If you want to do a long distance walk, consider one of the Caminos de Santiago, there are many.

A great infrastructure, for moving luggage if you wish, and many options for accommodation, from multiple bunk rooms to Paradores.

Also, if you wish to be solitary you can, but you never need be lonely.

Not a direct answer to your question, but I hope it helps.

I have just completed one, and it has been one of the greatest experiences of my life.

GDes 08 Jul 2024
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Sorry to hear, that must be very tough.

Have you considered Nepal? Amazing walking through the Himalaya, with brilliant infrastructure. Basically teahouses (little hostels with food) in every village.

tempusername 08 Jul 2024
In reply to Godwin:

> If you want to do a long distance walk, consider one of the Caminos de Santiago, there are many. ...

> I have just completed one, and it has been one of the greatest experiences of my life.

I am considering doing that. Which route did you take?

Godwin 08 Jul 2024
In reply to tempusername:

I considered the Norte and Primitivo, but in the end went for the Frances. If you decide the one you are on is not right for you, simply take a bus and switch.

Objectively it is very simple, there is an infrastructure, built up over the centuries designed to facilitate it, all you need to do, is walk. 

The area of Spain, are unlike anything I have seen in Spain before, more like Tuscany and the England to be honest, other than the Meseta and the Paramo, which was amazing.

I would just say do it, a fantastic experience. 

tempusername 09 Jul 2024
In reply to Godwin:

> I considered the Norte and Primitivo, but in the end went for the Frances.

Thanks. As a couple of follow-up questions:

1. How long did you take on it?
  2. Where did you mostly stay and eat en route?
  3. What was the average daily cost, approximately?
  4. What time of year did you do it, and what was the weather like? I've looked at the route, and am a bit concerned that walking in the plains could be scorching hot.

> I would just say do it, a fantastic experience. 

Thanks. I'd be doing it for the same reason as mentioned in the OP.

Godwin 09 Jul 2024
In reply to tempusername:

> Thanks. As a couple of follow-up questions:

> How long did you take on it?

29 days, but it's not a race.

> Where did you mostly stay and eat en route?

Albergues, i am used to climbing huts, so bunk accommodation suits me. As an older male, I prefer a lower bunk, and only had one upper.

> What was the average daily cost, approximately?

€50, and for that ate well, and drank plenty

> What time of year did you do it, and what was the weather like? I've looked at the route, and am a bit concerned that walking in the plains could be scorching hot.

Just finished it 4 days ago. My weather was perfect, just one day, i was still walking in the sun.

But I think climate change is moving things around. September is generally reckoned to be good.

> Thanks. I'd be doing it for the same reason as mentioned in the OP.

You will have plenty of time to think, and lots of people to talk to. People you will never meet again. You will get chatting to a total stranger, as you walk, have a deep conversation, then, never see them again. Other people you keep bumping into.

I had some things to work out, and it helped 

Godwin 09 Jul 2024
In reply to Godwin:

Sorry, had to go to bus stop for Airport bus.

The main thing is, it's very simple, get up walk, wash your clothes, sleep and repeat.

Accommodation of all price levels is available, from Donativos, where you pay as you feel, through to top end.

If you want luggage transfer is super easy, I think €6 per stage.

Your life is in your rucksack, and as you will be carrying it 800km, you will not be carrying any nonsense.

Just makes life very simple.

Do not start in Sarria, it is not about reaching Santiago, though that is great, it is about the journey and the people you will meet along the way.

tempusername 09 Jul 2024
In reply to Godwin:

Thanks very much for your replies and for the information - I appreciate it all.

Rip van Winkle 11 Jul 2024
In reply to Godwin:

To the OP and all: I haven't walked any Caminos, but I especially admire someone who does and who blogs her travels. She has done most (all?) of them. I don't think you need to aim for her average daily mileage though!

https://explorespainonfoot.wordpress.com/

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...