UKC

Hole next to internal gutter pipe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ryo92 24 Jul 2024

Hi does anyone know what this hole is next to a internal drain pipe and what is the best way to cover it. when We get a lot of rain water starts spitting out.

Tony Buckley 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Ryo92:

Since you've registered today, this is your first post and this is a climbing site, what grade do you think 3PS is?

T.

wintertree 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Also, what in that image is a drain pipe?!?

In reply to wintertree:

The bit on the right...? That seems to be either horribly distorted, or wrapped in something.

To the OP; it appears to be an inspection/access/rodding point. There looks to be a remnant of a sealing gasket. It appears someone has removed the cover, and not replaced it. And stuffed a sponge/piece of toast into the hole.

Look for some maker's mark/part number on the access port, and buy a replacement cover (and new seal).

wintertree 24 Jul 2024
In reply to captain paranoia:

> The bit on the right...? That seems to be either horribly distorted, or wrapped in something.

That looks more like a filthy, flexible air duct of the sort with a reinforcing internal coil to me…

I suppose it could be a plastic pipe with a mysterious covering at which point I agree with your post.  Most odd.

In reply to wintertree:

> That looks more like a filthy, flexible air duct of the sort with a reinforcing internal coil to me…

Pretty sure there's a chunk of solid PVC pipe at the bottom, possibly painted. And that it's not a spiral reinforced ducting; if it is, the reinforcement is spectacularly bad...

It's a right old mess, that's for sure. Not sure which country it is; internal drains still not common in the UK, I think.

Are you anticipating a lot of pro-Trump/Putin/Farage/Tory/Brexit or covid hoax messages...?

wintertree 24 Jul 2024

> Pretty sure there's a chunk of solid PVC pipe at the bottom, possibly painted.  And that it's not a spiral reinforced ducting; if it is, the reinforcement is spectacularly bad...

You’ve convinced me I was wrong.  

> It's a right old mess, that's for sure.

Yes; if you’re right it does look like an unsealed inspection hatch - with a sponge in it.  The pipe down below it (or subsequent drains) must be at least partially blocked for things to spill out of the open hatch.

> Not sure which country it is; internal drains still not common in the UK, I think.

The building my labs and offices are in has internal gutters for rainwater, as did the previous building I was in.  That also had an internal downpipe across the ceiling - for an upstairs toilet - in one of the offices.  You could hear jobbies sloughing across the ceiling.  Award winning building from a big name Architect who only gave a toss about the external look and clever construction style.

I’ve never seen a private house with internal guttering in the U.K.

JLS 24 Jul 2024
In reply to wintertree:

The things on the right are just stacked plastic paint buckets or some suchlike.

OP:

It’s a rodding eye missing its cover. It looks pretty old so I’d be surprised if you could track down a replacement short of pinching someone else’s in the same street. Replacing the whole thing would be a serious pain as it will be cast into a concrete surround. You best bet would be to fashion a homemade cover. Ideally from steel with a rubber gasket but a bit of plywood would do as a temporary fix.

In reply to wintertree:

> I’ve never seen a private house with internal guttering in the U.K

I was assuming this was a private, domestic property, not an office or block of flats where internal drains are more the norm. 

wintertree 24 Jul 2024
In reply to JLS:

> The things on the right are just stacked plastic paint buckets or some suchlike.

I could believe the bottom two things are buckets not plastic pipe,  but then what’s the stuff above it?

If you’re right that it’s buckets, I’m back to my original question of where is the drain pipe in the photo?  The OP said the hole was “next to” a drain pipe, and what I thought was a flexi duct for air and you think is buckets and suchlike is the only thing next to the hole…

In reply to wintertree:

And what do we call the shape of that cover...?

And why does -word no longer act to exclude 'word' from google searches (A: enshitification)

wintertree 24 Jul 2024

> And what do we call the shape of that cover...?

If you mean the apparent inspection hatch, which is a rectangle with two diagonally opposing corners replaced with radiused curves, I only know nomenclature from UI design where it would be a “leaf shape” or a “round diagonal corner rectangle”.  The only reason I can see to make a physical product in such a shape is to make it too expensive for third parties to tool up to make and sell replacement covers.

> And why does -word no longer act to exclude 'word' from google searches (A: enshitification)

Indeed

Post edited at 23:54
 Tony Buckley 25 Jul 2024

I'm expecting a profile that flares and dies like a cheap firework in a badly-repaired drain of uncertain provenance.

Happy to be wrong, of course.  But, etc.

T.

FactorXXX 25 Jul 2024

> I'm expecting a profile that flares and dies like a cheap firework in a badly-repaired drain of uncertain provenance.
> Happy to be wrong, of course.  But, etc.

You might be correct.
However, would you really want to return to either this Thread or UKC in general after this sort of response?

JLS 25 Jul 2024
In reply to wintertree:

I take back my plastic bucket observation, it is just a plastic pipe wrapped in  fabric for some reason.

Michael Hood 25 Jul 2024
In reply to JLS:

Isn't funnily wrapped piping a "clue" that asbestos might be about?

montyjohn 25 Jul 2024

> It's a right old mess, that's for sure. Not sure which country it is; internal drains still not common in the UK, I think.

Looks external to me.

Perhaps somebody built a garage next to their house now making it internal (I have this scenario).

Bottom Clinger 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Ryo92:

> Hi does anyone know what this hole is next to an internal drain pipe and what is the best way to cover it. when We get a lot of rain water starts spitting out.

I had similar, and found the perfect solution. I fitted the ‘Ryo92 Drainpipe Hole Covererer’.  Amazingly cheap at $99.99.  
Apols if you’re genuine. 

Post edited at 09:44
 CantClimbTom 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Ryo92:

Buy a big thick plastic chopping board (commercial ones come in different colours including black and white so your choice) and cut it to shape/size to make a cover. External grade mastic to "glue" it down.

The job will be as good/bad as you make it. Clear all the **** out of that rodding point and make it all clean and tidy

Or.. get a builder to replace it with new - and have a proper point and cover done properly

Edit, if you make your own cover, remember it might need removal to unblock a drain at some point in future, so mastic not resin etc!

Post edited at 09:47
 Fraser 25 Jul 2024
In reply to wintertree:

> I’ve never seen a private house with internal guttering in the U.K.

And you wont find it in any other country! 'Gutters' are always external, although downpipes might be internal. Anyway, as has been suggested up-thread, I'm pretty sure the OP is a bot.

In reply to wintertree:

> I could believe the bottom two things are buckets not plastic pipe,  but then what’s the stuff above it?

> If you’re right that it’s buckets, I’m back to my original question of where is the drain pipe in the photo?  The OP said the hole was “next to” a drain pipe, and what I thought was a flexi duct for air and you think is buckets and suchlike is the only thing next to the hole…

Looks like a soil pipe to me, with something wrapped around it for whatever reason. 

plyometrics 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Ryo92:

A portal into another dimension, maybe?

Jimbo C 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Isn't funnily wrapped piping a "clue" that asbestos might be about?

Indeed. Looks like the sort of wrap that could have been put on before spraying asbestos insulation (and could itself be made from asbestos).

OP. It's an access point for unblocking the drain. If water is backing out of it, the drain needs unblocking. The cover needs sealing when replaced to stop smells coming out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...