UKC

Questing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 23 Jul 2024

Please stop.

Thankyou.

DaveHK 23 Jul 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

But what if I am a knight, sworn to the quest?

OP Robert Durran 23 Jul 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

> But what if I am a knight, sworn to the quest?

Holy Grails and so on are ok. Sorry, I should have said.

seankenny 23 Jul 2024

> Holy Grails and so on are ok. Sorry, I should have said.

How about a spirit quest? Acceptable or nay? Does it depend on the ayahuasca situation?

Lankyman 23 Jul 2024

When does a quest become a send (or vice versa)?

Post edited at 20:30
In reply to seankenny:

> How about a spirit quest? Acceptable or nay? Does it depend on the ayahuasca situation?

Acceptable. 

greg_may_ 23 Jul 2024

What about A Tribe Called Quest? 

Andy Hardy 23 Jul 2024

What about researching the inner workings of charged particles? - I do hope questions are ok

mrjonathanr 23 Jul 2024

Is this allowable under specific circumstances?

Asking for a tick.

wbo2 23 Jul 2024

What would you prefer?

Siward 23 Jul 2024

Questin', surely? Nothing like a bit of questin'.

Been questin' today?"

"Oh, yes, thank you. Always am questing, you know. After the Questing Beast."

DaveHK 23 Jul 2024
In reply to Siward:

> Questin', surely? Nothing like a bit of questin'.

> Been questin' today?"

> "Oh, yes, thank you. Always am questing, you know. After the Questing Beast."

Are you Siward the Quester?

C Rettiw 23 Jul 2024

What's wrong with a "questing out around the arete" or a route being described as "a bit questy"? I feel a lot of affection for the specific nuances given to words in esoteric language communities, such as among climbers. It creates a sense of shared humour, culture and belonging, no?

Lankyman 23 Jul 2024
In reply to C Rettiw:

> What's wrong with a "questing out around the arete" or a route being described as "a bit questy"? I feel a lot of affection for the specific nuances given to words in esoteric language communities, such as among climbers. It creates a sense of shared humour, culture and belonging, no?

Quest-ionable

wercat 23 Jul 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

QuestFester would be a good user name

JLS 23 Jul 2024

I was almost tempted to do a bit of questing today, but had the good sense to stop…

In reply to JLS:

> I was almost tempted to do a bit of questing today, but had the good sense to stop…

Good decision

In reply to wbo2:

> What would you prefer?

Climbing.

In reply to mrjonathanr:

> Is this allowable under specific circumstances?

Any non-climbing usage is fine for all I care.

In reply to C Rettiw:

> What's wrong with a "questing out around the arete"or a route being described as "a bit questy"? I feel a lot of affection for the specific nuances given to words in esoteric language communities, such as among climbers. It creates a sense of shared humour, culture and belonging, no?

I really, really hope you are joking with respect to this case.

C Rettiw 23 Jul 2024

Hahahaha. I'm sorry, but I'm going to use it determinedly now, like the time a friend called a steep crag "weapon" or the particularly idiosyncratic use of "interesting" amongst certain climbing friends. I sometimes (I admit, I am a little ashamed of this) even use "psyched". But, every time I use "questy" (this week, anyway) I will think of you.

Post edited at 23:08

Okay, you may have a point; in neither case does there appear to be any sense of having to explore, or difficulty finding the route (where the use of 'questing' might be less questionable). Unless Tom is on a righteous quest to find and kill the chalk monster who went up the route previously...

In reply to captain paranoia:

Surely it sounds extremely weird to most English people’s ears to hear the word quest used as an intransitive verb. Presumably this a very recent invention.

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

It doesn't and it isn't.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/quest

I'll keep questing where it's appropriate. Probably not on a well-chalked straight line crack, but I certainly did some questing over the weekend. If you don't like words being used to mean their recognised meaning that's nobody else's problem.

OP Robert Durran 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

You can't just vaguely quest.

If you were questing after holds or for a belay it would be acceptable.

The current fad is horrible and I hope it dies out sooner rather than later.

Post edited at 07:14
 Ian Parsons 24 Jul 2024

Would 'cwest' be ok, along with various derivatives? The 'Cwesta di Santa Catewina' on Monte Wosa, maybe - and the famous [wenowned, even] Cwesta Wun at St Mowitz.

Andy Moles 24 Jul 2024

Nothing wrong with questing, as long as you're questing on something that's actually questy.

See 'having an epic', which diminuendos all the way from crawling off Nanga Parbat in a storm to getting a bit of gear stuck at Burbage.

In reply to Andy Moles:

> Nothing wrong with questing, as long as you're questing on something that's actually questy.

The invention of the word "questy" takes the matter to a whole new level of offensiveness.

Andy Moles 24 Jul 2024

Well we obviously need an adjective to describe something with the character of a quest, what do you propose?

Questful? Questacious?

Ian Parsons 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Robert Durran

> The invention of the word "questy" takes the matter to a whole new level of offensiveness.

That surely pales alongside the elevation of diminuendo to verb status - although maybe there's the hint of a gerund in there.

Jon Read 24 Jul 2024

First definition of quest I arrived at on the internet was:

a long or arduous search for something

If that doesn't sum up the authentic onsight trad experience, I don't know what does. I think you're being a bit old and grumpy here, Robert.

bouldery bits 24 Jul 2024

You've got the postage dude, now hike down the the post office and send it. 

In reply to C Rettiw:

> It creates a sense of shared humour, culture and belonging, no?

No, just irritation and alienation.

And what is this silly new thing for putting "no" after a comma at the end of a sentence. That needs to stop too.

In reply to C Rettiw:

> ....... the particularly idiosyncratic use of "interesting" amongst certain climbing friends.

This usage is in line with traditional understatement. In contrast "questing" comes across as pompous and pretentious.

Dave Garnett 24 Jul 2024

> I'll keep questing where it's appropriate. 

Plenty of legitimate questage available: 

Lord of the rings (n8+)

Lord of the Rings (31)

Lord of the Rings (22)

Lord of the Rings (E4 5c)

The Lord of the Rings (E2 5c)

Lord of the rings (7a)

Lankyman 24 Jul 2024

> And what is this silly new thing for putting "no" after a comma at the end of a sentence. That needs to stop too.

It's the lazy way of saying 'I think you'll agree?' and actually means 'you'd have to be a complete @rse to even consider having a different opinion to me '. No?

You can. Right there in the example in the link I posted:

"quest
verb [ I ]
to spend a long time searching for something that is difficult to find, or to spend a long time trying to achieve something difficult:

His eyes moved across the crowd, searching, questing."

Could just as easily be "he moved on upwards, searching, questing".

It's correct use of language. You're going to have to live with this one.

In reply to Jon Read:

> First definition of quest I arrived at on the internet was:

> a long or arduous search for something.

For what?

> If that doesn't sum up the authentic onsight trad experience, I don't know what does. 

No, a quest needs to be for something specific. It is this idea of vaguely "questing" that feels so wrong, especially when just being used lazily and pompously.

Andy Moles 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Diminuendo is a totes legit verb, bro.

> And what is this silly new thing for putting "no" after a comma at the end of a sentence. That needs to stop too.

Has the aussie question intonation evolved into writing now? If so that needs to be stopped.

> For what?

> No, a quest needs to be for something specific. It is this idea of vaguely "questing" that feels so wrong, especially when just being used lazily and pompously.

You might have made that up. Dictionary says it doesn't. Unlucky. 

Jon Read 24 Jul 2024

> For what?

Exactly -- many answers to that one. 

Sometimes I find myself questing for a quest.

C Rettiw 24 Jul 2024
In reply to bouldery bits:

> You've got the postage dude, now hike down the the post office and send it. 

"Walk" please. FFS.

C Rettiw 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> It's the lazy way of saying 'I think you'll agree?' and actually means 'you'd have to be a complete @rse to even consider having a different opinion to me '. No?

I would say that (at least here) it's a knowing and cheeky way of proddling someone who is being cantankerous and who you know is likely to disagree.

C Rettiw 24 Jul 2024

Thanks for initiating this fascinating linguistic debate. It's been the best craic on UKC for at least a year.

> "Walk" please. FFS.

I bet your poetry wins loads of awards.

lukevf 24 Jul 2024

Do you need to know what you're looking for to search for it? I think quests can apply the agile methodology...

> You can. Right there in the example in the link I posted:

> "quest

> verb [ I ]

> to spend a long time searching for something that is difficult to find, or to spend a long time trying to achieve something difficult.

Well I'd like to see an example of this last usage. I don't think I ever have. And I'm sure all this climbing usage isn't about spending ages trying to achieve something difficult; if it is trying to mean anything (which it usually doesn't) it seems to be simply about setting off into the unknown which has got nothing to do with any quest for anything.

> It's correct use of language. You're going to have to live with this one.

On balance I think I might prefer to die.

It's all so awful and dispiriting.

GDes 24 Jul 2024

There's only one person coming across as pompous and pretentious here. 

Are you not familiar with the concept of language evolving? It seems to really bother you.

Hope your day is slay

In reply to lukevf:

> Do you need to know what you're looking for to search for it? 

Well it would certainly help; otherwise you would never know when you've found it.

Offwidth 24 Jul 2024

They're questing for the top of the route on terrain with an uncertain outcome. Maybe go climb the likes of Wombat Chimney before you are so dismissive of what sounds evocative to me (I doubt having chalk on such a route will help much)..... some self deprecation, just for you:

Being called Offwith it would have been slack 

To continue to overlook Monolith Crack

So I tucked my vest in

and tried to go questing

Ending stuck going forwards and struggling to get back.

PS de Selingcourt's variation is VD (logbooks say VS??) and climbing the outside of the tight cleft section is about HVS.

Post edited at 08:36
In reply to GDes:

> Are you not familiar with the concept of language evolving? It seems to really bother you.

Of course. But this is just a malignant mutation.

Ian Parsons 24 Jul 2024

> I bet your poetry wins loads of awards.

Didn't you know? Robert is half Vogon.

lukevf 24 Jul 2024

Really!? You've never had a general sense of lacking and then only realised what you were searching after it was found?

Find attached the grail of a recent quest, no way could I ever have imagined a vessel this perfect before seeing it...

LakesWinter 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

I have climbed wombat chimney and it wasn't a quest,  there was no treasure and no beautiful maidens or dragons along the way.  Disappointing.

Offwidth 24 Jul 2024
In reply to LakesWinter:

A great thing about climbing is our maidens and dragons can come in different guises

Dave Garnett 24 Jul 2024

> Well it would certainly help; otherwise you would never know when you've found it.

I think it implies not only that you know what you are looking for but also that you don’t know to get there (and a level of uncertainty that it’s even possible). A somewhat greater endeavour than getting up a gritstone crack anyway.

The quest for 9a, a route up the Great Barranco/ Lowe’s Gully, or a solo ascent of Rum Doodle perhaps.

Anyway, I think you’d be on firmer ground attacking the cliché rather than the grammar.

GDes 24 Jul 2024

Are you familiar with the mechanisms of evolution? 

In reply to lukevf:

> Really!? You've never had a general sense of lacking and then only realised what you were searching after it was found?

Possibly, in a vague sort of way. But it would mean I had basically stumbled on it; I could not have gone on a purposeful quest.

In reply to GDes:

> Are you familiar with the mechanisms of evolution? 

Yes. Random mutations.

Useless or harmful ones tend to die out.

Ones which give an advantage or are useful tend to die out.

This use of "questing" is the former. It may as well be put out of its considerable misery sooner rather than later.

Lankyman 24 Jul 2024

> Yes. Random mutations.

> Useless or harmful ones tend to die out.

> Ones which give an advantage or are useful tend to die out.

> This use of "questing" is the former. It may as well be put out of its considerable misery sooner rather than later.

Like a lot of hip and trendy things it's likely it will die a death before too long, gnarly dude.

In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Anyway, I think you’d be on firmer ground attacking the cliché rather than the grammar.

That was definitely my original intention. 

In reply to Offwidth:

> A great thing about climbing is our maidens and dragons can come in different guises

I only ever seem to get dragons these days. In many guises. Perhaps I need to quest more purposefully.

Post edited at 09:29
 JCurrie 24 Jul 2024

Is it just the climbing cliche you object to? I ask because you seem to be on a bit of a quest yourself, ever searching for that perfect early morning photo that could be titled golden hour.

lukevf 24 Jul 2024

Oh no, but please let us drag you off to a corner of the discussion that we think we can win...

If you begrudgingly let me have my logbook entry on this South Face (D), we can leave it. Otherwise, I'll see what I can come up with to show the utility and value of cliché...

mrjonathanr 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Andy Moles:

> Well we obviously need an adjective to describe something with the character of a quest, what do you propose?

> Questful? Questacious?

Good Question.

Offwidth 24 Jul 2024

Sad to hear..... your climbing and advice inspires others here, so there is no need to be a quest half empty kinda dude.

Post edited at 09:44
In reply to JCurrie:

> Is it just the climbing cliche you object to? I ask because you seem to be on a bit of a quest yourself, ever searching for that perfect early morning photo that could be titled golden hour..

If I ever see a photo on here titled "Questing at golden hour" I shall formally lose the will to live on both counts. Especially if it is clearly and comically taken sometime in the middle of the morning.

I don't actually think there is anything wrong with a quest for a hoped for photo. In fact I have several photographic holy grails in mind myself.

JCurrie 24 Jul 2024

Then I now have my own quest, to post a photo entitled Questing up Laser Cracks at Golden Hour.

Best of luck with yours and keep sharing the results.

Rampart 24 Jul 2024

How do you feel about 'freelancing'?

In reply to Rampart:

> How do you feel about 'freelancing'?

In what context? Some sort of equivalent to freesoloing for questing knights?

john arran 24 Jul 2024

Here's wishing you strong questatiousness on your questitudinous venture, the questity of which sounds questific. I suspect success will be questilicious and will leave you questatic.

PaulJepson 24 Jul 2024

A 'quest into the unknown' is quite a common turn of phrase and perfectly sums up a scenario one occasionally must come across in adventurous trad, where you aren't 100% sure if you are on the right line, don't know when the next gear will arrive, don't know if you can do the moves, don't know whether success or imminent doom lies above, yet you have to commit to something. It is probably overused a lot and 'questy' is awful but I've definitely been in situations where 'questing' feels like the perfect verb.

Andrew Wells 24 Jul 2024

Bloody hell Robert slow day is it?

In reply to Jon Read:

I don’t think anybody has any trouble with it used as a noun.

In reply to Andrew Wells:

> Bloody hell Robert slow day is it?

A day? This has been simmering for months. It was just those two photos yesterday tipped me, boiling, over the edge.

Andrew Wells 24 Jul 2024

You need a new hobby...

alan moore 24 Jul 2024

> . It was just those two photos yesterday tipped me, boiling, over the edge.

Just saw the last one; picture of a bloke in a bush...

GDes 24 Jul 2024

So the fact that this one hasn't died out surely proves that it is in some way useful. Whether or not you use it is irrelevant. 

I'm not particularly keen on the fact that some bacteria have naturally selected to be resistant to penicillin, but tough for me! 

This sort of grumbling just comes across as the height of arrogance to me. Unless I'm taking it too seriously and you're actually just joking 

CMosedale 24 Jul 2024

Hi Robert, author of one of the offending captions here. My sincerest apologies, had I known my caption would spark such controversy I would have spent a bit more time pondering my writing. Next time I will consult both a dictionary and your humble self in order to ensure my work is up to scratch!

Happy Questing,

Charlie x

Lankyman 24 Jul 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

> A 'quest into the unknown' is quite a common turn of phrase and perfectly sums up a scenario one occasionally must come across in adventurous trad, where you aren't 100% sure if you are on the right line, don't know when the next gear will arrive, don't know if you can do the moves, don't know whether success or imminent doom lies above, yet you have to commit to something.

No. This is just 'fannying around'.

In reply to Andrew Wells:

> You need a new hobby...

Besides moaning, you mean...?

Mike Stretford 24 Jul 2024

I was thinking about this thread this morning at the climbing gym. You must know your quest for 'Duranspeak' is doomed, that is clear from the general history of languages. However, I do remember reading something about there being healthy outlets for anger, so if this is yours then it's all good..... but don't kadge the radge!

Post edited at 13:37
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> I was thinking about this thread this morning at the climbing gym.

"Climbing Gym". Is this a wind up? 

> You must know your quest for 'Durranspeak' is doomed.

It is, of course, impossible in general to stem the flow of the tides of change of language, but I do think is worth trying to nip things such as this "questing" nonsense fad in the bud if it is not already too late.

In reply to CMosedale:

> Hi Robert, author of one of the offending captions here. My sincerest apologies.

Apology accepted. We all make mistakes.

Just don't do it again.

> It is, of course, impossible in general to stem the flow of the tides of change of language, but I do think is worth trying to nip things such as this "questing" nonsense fad in the bud if it is not already too late.

Well it's only been used as a verb since about the mid 14th century so if we're quick we might still have a chance.

> "Climbing Gym". Is this a wind up? 

😊

I do like that you quietly corrected to 'Durranspeak' in your reply, I apologise for my error.

> It is, of course, impossible in general to stem the flow of the tides of change of language, but I do think is worth trying to nip things such as this "questing" nonsense fad in the bud if it is not already too late.

It could go either way now. The thread itself may have tipped the balance. I'd not heard it before but I must admit I want to give 'questing' a go now. 

Post edited at 15:40
In reply to GDes:

> This sort of grumbling just comes across as the height of arrogance to me. Unless I'm taking it too seriously and you're actually just joking.

No joke. I am irate. Literally shaking with anger. At risk of dying from apoplexy.

Andy Moles 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Prostetnic Vogon Durran:

> Are you not familiar with the concept of language evolving? It seems to really bother you.

> Of course. But this is just a malignant mutation.

Are there any newish mutations relating to climbing that you do approve of, Robert?

petemeads 24 Jul 2024

I'm with you Robert. If it's any consolation, questing is the term used to describe tick nymphs hanging on to long grass and waving their long feelers about in the hope of latching on to a warm-blooded animal. Sort of related to climbing, I suppose, and performed by parasites!

> No joke. I am irate.

"Angry" please. FFS

> 😊

> I do like that you quietly corrected to 'Durranspeak' in your reply, I apologise for my error.

Thankyou. Apology accepted.

> It could go either way now. The thread itself may have tipped the balance. 

My guess and hope is that, after the inevitable initial backlash to try to wind me up, deep down, on reflection people will come to realise just how silly it is and desist.

In reply to PaulJepson:

> A 'quest into the unknown' is quite a common turn of phrase and perfectly sums up a scenario one occasionally must come across in adventurous trad, where you aren't 100% sure if you are on the right line, don't know when the next gear will arrive, don't know if you can do the moves, don't know whether success or imminent doom lies above, yet you have to commit to something. 

If you were climbing a new route onsight on a big crag or an alpine face, it might just about be defensible (though, on balance, probably not) as long as you only used "quest" and not the always horrible "questing". But using it to describe climbing well travelled and documented routes, let alone ones covered in chalk, is utterly absurd. 

In reply to Offwidth:

> ............there is no need to be a quest half empty kinda dude.

Which, as anybody not arithmetically challenged will know, is precisely equivalent to a quest half full kinda dude. Though actually my quest is probably about three quarters empty/one quarter full at the moment.

> "Angry" please. FFS

I find "irate" somehow more poetic.

Offwidth 24 Jul 2024

....and as any Psychologist will tell you, irrespective of being the arithmetically the same, it indicates the person's outlook as being more towards optimistic quester,  as opposed to pessimistic protester.

In reply to Offwidth:

> ...and as any Psychologist will tell you, irrespective of being the arithmetically the same, it indicates the person's outlook as being more towards optimistic quester,  as opposed to pessimistic protester. 

Yes, I am now well aware that is the intention (the first time someone asked me whether my glass was half full or half empty I was logically baffled), but I just think it is an ill thought out, inappropriate metaphor. The intention is actually to indicate whether people dwell on the half of their glass which is full or on the half of their glass which is empty. Of course any two fractions with a sum of one will do; I could have an optimistic outlook and choose to dwell on the fraction of my glass which is full however small or large that fraction might be. 

Post edited at 17:24

> I find "irate" somehow more poetic.

If you like poetic, why start a thread complaining about people being too poetic?

Offwidth 24 Jul 2024

It's still a perfect thread for a wet day. Thank you.

> If you like poetic, why start a thread complaining about people being too poetic?

There's good poetry and bad poetry.

Anyway, I was joking (just in that one post. Not about the offensiveness of "questing" obviously).

In reply to Andy Moles:

> Are there any newish mutations relating to climbing that you do approve of, Robert?

Yes. 

I found the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy utterly banal and devoid of adult-level cleverness or wit though (I have just had to do some googling).

> My guess and hope is that, after the inevitable initial backlash to try to wind me up, deep down, on reflection people will come to realise just how silly it is and desist.

I must admit if someone told me they were going 'questing' at the weekend I might think they were off to play Dungeons and Dragons.

Offwidth 24 Jul 2024

Somehow I'm not shocked. I adore THGTTG (radio shows, books and TV series). I've always been highly impressed how STEM professionals can be so different but still very interesting outside of the day job.

Offwidth 24 Jul 2024

...or Snakes & Ladders !?

Dave Garnett 24 Jul 2024

> Yes. 

> I found the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy utterly banal and devoid of adult-level cleverness or wit though (I have just had to do some googling).

You go too far.  I’m out.

In reply to Dave Garnett:

> You go too far.  I’m out.

I can possibly go further - Rum Doodle seemed just as extraordinarily weak to me.

Were these books written by eleven year olds for a hurried homework assignment?

Post edited at 18:45
 Andy Moles 24 Jul 2024

> Yes. 

Go on then...

In reply to Offwidth:

> It's still a perfect thread for a wet day.

Shame it has spoiled a nice day here...

In reply to Andy Moles:

Not climbing related, but I'm going to suggest Durmudgeon...

C Rettiw 24 Jul 2024

Reading over the thread...

Despite some people feeling the unnecessary need to give you a verbal kicking for reasons unknown that say more about their own petty frustrations, I approve of people having strong opinions about words, and salute you. But, I do personally feel that there is a lot of beauty to be found in those ways in which people subvert grammar, shift word class as though accelerating an old banger down a hill, and transform meanings in unexpected ways. Maybe you're overdue a long meditation on the philosophy of language. After all, mountains often form borders, and language is always a messy business on the edge of things - an often beautiful mess. And maybe Stanage on a Sunday afternoon is the edge of things. Pursuing an eccentric hobby in the English midlands... what could be more marginal?

In reply to Andy Moles:

> Go on then...

"In Hard" because it serves a useful purpose.

"Send" because, at least in this country, it's use started playfully ironically. 

I'm sure there are many others I use without thinking. 

Michael Gordon 24 Jul 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

> A 'quest into the unknown' is quite a common turn of phrase and perfectly sums up a scenario one occasionally must come across in adventurous trad, where you aren't 100% sure if you are on the right line, don't know when the next gear will arrive, don't know if you can do the moves, don't know whether success or imminent doom lies above, yet you have to commit to something. It is probably overused a lot and 'questy' is awful but I've definitely been in situations where 'questing' feels like the perfect verb.

I couldn't agree more. For me, these are the best routes, climbing near your limit, winding about through otherwise harder ground, going past big roofs, devious wee traverses etc, where the line only really becomes clear as you slowly make progress. The difference between this and going up an obvious crack is chalk and cheese. These 'out there', questing routes are often the most memorable. I don't know what other word you'd use to describe it; 'adventurous' often has negative connotations (loose rock etc). Robert's suggestion of 'climbing' certainly doesn't cut it; most routes involve that  

> Shame it has spoiled a nice day here...

It's made a weird day weirder here.....

Anyway, about to quest up the Ratho autobelays. 

Hooo 24 Jul 2024

Even on this route? Questor (VS 4c)

Michael Gordon 24 Jul 2024

One for Charlotte Dujardin? An Equestrian of Sport (VD)

>  I had basically stumbled on it; I could not have gone on a purposeful quest

Stumbled upon it.

Also 'basically' is superfluous here. A bit like the liberal use of 'literally'. Please stop.

Neil Williams 24 Jul 2024

What...is your name?

What...is your quest?

What...is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

In reply to Neil Williams:

> What...is your name?

Robert Durran (I don't post under a false name).

> What...is your quest?

To climb at least E3 and 7b, (both onsight) again before I grow too old and die.

> What...is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

About 20mph (you could, like I just did, have googled that). Why do you ask anyway?

Hooo 24 Jul 2024

Did Google say if it was a European or African swallow?

In reply to Hooo:

> Did Google say if it was a European or African swallow.

No.

Anyway, don't they migrate between the two and therefore have dual nationality (continentality?)?

In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

> Stumbled upon it.

> Also 'basically' is superfluous here. A bit like the liberal use of 'literally'. Please stop.

Sorry.

mrjonathanr 25 Jul 2024

> "In Hard" because it serves a useful purpose.

> "Send" because, at least in this country, it's use started playfully ironically. 

‘Send’ is an abomination, deriving from no meaningful original, unlike tick it, do it, link it etc. If it’s a corruption of ‘ascend’ it still sounds lame and claiming you’re being ironic is not a valid defence.

The value of ‘quest’ is that it references the travails of the knights errant: purposeful, long, arduous and hazardous search with no certain outcome. 

As others have said, only really appropriate for onsighting big adventurous trad. 

steveriley 25 Jul 2024

I like it, it's often a little tongue in cheek you know. I'm both pedant and admirer of new language uses. Moral GPS swithering wildly.

OP Robert Durran 25 Jul 2024
In reply to mrjonathanr:

> ‘Send’ is an abomination, deriving from no meaningful original, unlike tick it, do it, link it etc. If it’s a corruption of ‘ascend’ it still sounds lame and claiming you’re being ironic is not a valid defence.

No, "send" is fun, playful. No pomposity. One of the very few US imports I like.

In reply to steveriley:

> I like it, it's often a little tongue in cheek you know. 

I'm pretty sure it's not in most uses I've seen.

Basemetal 25 Jul 2024

Geoffrey Winthrop Young excepted? 

There is a region of heart’s desire
free for the hand that wills;
land of the shadow and haunted spire,
land of silvery glacier fire,
land of the cloud and the starry choir,
magical land of hills;
loud with the crying of winds and streams,
thronged with the fancies and fears of dreams.

There are perils of knightly zest
fit for the warrior’s craft;
pitiless giants with rock-bound crest,
mystical wells for the midnight rest,
ice-crowned castles and halls, to test
steel with the ashen shaft;
realms to be won by the well-swung blow,
rest to be earned by the yielding foe.

Frosted cities of timeless sleep
wait for the errant knight;
kingly forest and frowning steep,
spirits of mist and of fathomless deep,
snow-winged dragons of fear that keep
watch o’er each virgin height;
treasure of dawn and a crown of stars
his who can shatter the frozen bars.

All that the wanderer’s heart can crave,
life lived thrice for its lending,
hermits vigil in dreamlit cave,
gleams of the vision that Merlin gave,
comrades till death, and a wind swept grave,
joy of the journey’s ending:—

Ye who have climbed to the great white veil,
heard ye the chant? Saw ye the Grail?

Andy Moles 25 Jul 2024
In reply to mrjonathanr:

> As others have said, only really appropriate for onsighting big adventurous trad. 

I feel it could also apply to a well chalked obvious trad route if the climber looks as though they are doing something big and adventurous - i.e. stressed, over-committed and a bit sketchy. They are climbing questily.

C Rettiw 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Basemetal:

Awful poem. You do realise you're bolstering Robert's case here?

> No, "send" is fun, playful. No pomposity

You're sure about that? Just as you're sure 'questing' isn't?

You're an enigma, Robert...

mrjonathanr 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Andy Moles:

My climbing style, exactly. 

Basemetal 25 Jul 2024
In reply to C Rettiw:

> Awful poem. You do realise you're bolstering Robert's case here?

😂 Proving the rule? Hopeless romantics of the world beg to differ, but I concede it's best not read out loud. "Life lived thrice for its lending" sells it to me.

In reply to Andy Moles:

> I feel it could also apply to a well chalked obvious trad route if the climber looks as though they are doing something big and adventurous - i.e. stressed, over-committed and a bit sketchy. They are climbing questily.

No, they only look like they are climbing "questily"

I imagine I looked like I was climbing quite "questily" when trying multiple methods to get off the ground before giving up on a 6c on the Ratho autobelays last night; exploring and probing every possibility.

Why are the autobelays always a massively undergraded series of injury inducing awkward bouldery moves when all I want is a bit of mindless endurance?😡

In reply to C Rettiw:

> Awful poem.

Not one of his best shall we say (I think my favourite poem is one of his though*).

> You do realise you're bolstering Robert's case here?

Yes, despite all the nonsense about knights and grails and despite providing himself with multiple rhyming opportunities in the second verse, he manages to avoid the Q word. Well done Geoffrey.

* I have not lost the magic of long days,
I live them, dream them still
Still I am a master of the starry ways,
And freeman of the hills;
Shattered my glass, ere half the sands had run.
I hold the heights, I hold the heights, I won.

Mine still the hope that haileth me from each height
Mine the unresting flame.
With dreams I charmed each doing to delight;
I charm my rest the same.
Severed my skin, ere half the strands were spun
I keep the dreams, I keep the dreams I won.

What if I live no more those kingly days?
Their night sleeps with me still.
I dream my feet upon the starry ways;
My heart rests in the hill.
I may not grudge, the little left undone.
I hold the heights, I keep the dreams I won.

Post edited at 12:52
In reply to steveriley:

> I like it, it's often a little tongue in cheek you know. I'm both pedant and admirer of new language uses. Moral GPS swithering wildly.

What's wrong with a moral map and compass FFS?

C Rettiw 25 Jul 2024

Microwaved Wordsworth mixed with cloying Tennyson and overburdened with colonial swagger. Only the homoerotic puns give interest.

In reply to alan moore:

> Just saw the last one; picture of a bloke in a bush...

Ah yes, I hadn't even noticed the bloke in the bush. Maybe he is the one doing the questing, perhaps for somewhere to take a dump and the bloke on the rock is just incidental.

In reply to C Rettiw:

> Only the homoerotic puns give interest.

Oh yes, they are in almost every line with enough imagination.

Michael Hood 25 Jul 2024

> I imagine I looked like I was climbing quite "questily" when trying multiple methods to get off the ground before giving up on a 6c on the Ratho autobelays last night; exploring and probing every possibility.

I'm sure that I have done many leads where I've gone repeatedly up and down gradually getting further until I overcame the crux. Questing might have been usable on those occasions but other descriptions would have been more apposite such as "vacillating" or "familiarising" or maybe just "crap climber" 😁

Andy Moles 25 Jul 2024

> I was climbing quite "questily"

There we go, you've adopted the adverbial. Soon the scare quotes will disappear and you'll be questing with the best of them

Dave Garnett 25 Jul 2024

> Not one of his best shall we say (I think my favourite poem is one of his though*).

> Yes, despite all the nonsense about knights and grails and despite providing himself with multiple rhyming opportunities in the second verse, he manages to avoid the Q word. Well done Geoffrey.

Yes, and I did just check it wasn't in the title either.

tmguilfoyle89 25 Jul 2024

Yours truly

Lankyman 25 Jul 2024
In reply to tmguilfoyle89:

Malham at the crack of dawn?

65 25 Jul 2024
 deepsoup 25 Jul 2024
In reply to 65:

> I like using nouns as verbs..

One of the quirks of the English language - almost any noun can be verbed.

Howard J 25 Jul 2024

Iis clear that "quest" and "questing" are legitimate words in themselves.  It is their use in climbing which is puzzling me, and which hadn't come to my notice until this thread. 

In normal usage I think the word carries a hint of a moral purpose. It is not just that the search may be long and difficult, it implies it should be for something worthwhile. The search for truth is a quest, searching for your glasses is not.

Mountaineering might sometimes be a quest, and it could possibly be applied to a big and adventurous rock or ice route, but only in exceptional situations. I'm struggling to see how a gritstone crack or a boulder problem could be described as a "quest" in any normal sense of the word. So what is it that the users are trying to convey? 

Post edited at 16:02
 steveriley 25 Jul 2024

> What's wrong with a moral map and compass FFS?

One time the battery ran out and I made some terrible decisions, I should go back to the old ways. But then I also had a compass where the polarity reversed...

Andy Clarke 25 Jul 2024

Here's GWY doing what I think is a good job of capturing the intensity of focus we must all have sometimes felt in our quests for our particular grails - spiritual transcendence, a plus on our hardest grade, burning off our mates etc. Fans of homoeroticism may especially enjoy the second stanza.

The Cragsman

In this short span
between my fingertips on the smooth edge
and these tense feet cramped on the crystal ledge
I hold the life of man.
Consciously I embrace
arched from the mountain rock on which I stand
to the firm limit of my lifted hand the front of time and space: -
For what is there in all the world for me
but what I know and see?
And what remains of all I see and know
if I let go.

With this full breath
bracing my sinews as I upward move
boldly reliant to the rift above
I measure life from death.
With each strong thrust
I feel all motion and all vital force
borne on my strength and hazarding their course
in my self trust:-
There is no movement of what kind it be
but has its source in me:
And should these muscles falter to release
motion itself must cease.

In these two eyes
that search the splendour of earth, and seek
the sombre mysteries on plain and peak
all vision wakes and dies.
With these my ears
that listen to the sound of lakes asleep
and love the larger rumour from the deep
the eternal hears: -
For all of beauty that this life can give
lives only while I live;
And with the light my hurried vision lends
all beauty ends.

In reply to Andy Clarke:

The first four lines say it all.

I really like High Hills too:

There is much comfort in high hills,
and a great easing of the heart.
We look upon them, and our nature fills
with loftier images from their life apart.
They set our feet on curves of freedom, bent
to snap the circles of our discontent.

Mountains are moods ; of larger rhythm and line,
moving between the eternal mode and mine.
Moments in thought, of which I too am part,
I lose in them my instant of brief ills.
There is great easing of the heart,
and cumulance of comfort on high hills.

Michael Hood 25 Jul 2024

I think questing could be validly applied to pretty much every route that Jesse Dufton leads.

FactorXXX 25 Jul 2024

I quest, therefore I am.

deepsoup 25 Jul 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

Quest West young man.

timparkin 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Howard J:

> Iis clear that "quest" and "questing" are legitimate words in themselves.  It is their use in climbing which is puzzling me, and which hadn't come to my notice until this thread. 

> In normal usage I think the word carries a hint of a moral purpose. It is not just that the search may be long and difficult, it implies it should be for something worthwhile. The search for truth is a quest, searching for your glasses is not.

That's the first time I've thought of ticks as moral creatures questing for the life of their babies. Or questing could just mean waving limbs into the unknown in the hope of grabbing something (which I can totally relate to)

In reply to Michael Hood:

> I think questing could be validly applied to pretty much every route that Jesse Dufton leads.

Although I get the impression that routes which play to his stengths are the least "questy" ones.

Edited for inverted commas. Oops....

Post edited at 20:29
In reply to timparkin:

>  Or questing could just mean waving limbs into the unknown in the hope of grabbing something.

In which case Jesse Dufton is the "questiest" climber out there.

Edit: ditto

Post edited at 20:30
In reply to C Rettiw:

> Reading over the thread...

> Despite some people feeling the unnecessary need to give you a verbal kicking for reasons unknown.......

To be fair, I think only one person has seen fit to attack me in a way outside the intended playful spirit of the thread. I actually think the general response and the ratio of likes to dislikes shows that I have pitched things at about the right level of provocation (or at least satisfactorily to myself!)

> I do personally feel that there is a lot of beauty to be found in those ways in which people subvert grammar, shift word class as though accelerating an old banger down a hill, and transform meanings in unexpected ways.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with language evolving, but I think it is a shame when a word gets overused in ways which so dilute it's meaning that it can effectively become meaningless. "Quest" has not yet become synonymous with "climb" but it's overuse in trivial ways means that it's shades of meaning are in danger of being lost. I liked the idea that a quest ought to have something moral about it; certainly something beyond the everyday, perhaps at least a certain depth and test of character. As such I think it should be used pretty sparingly with respect to climbing if it is not to lose its impact. Certainly just casually calling a whole class of less than easy to follow climbs "questy" does, I think, devalue the idea.

Equally importantly, I think a quest has to actually be for something specific. So these photograph captions of the type "So and so questing up such and such a climb", which triggered my thinking on this, do, I think, miss the essential essence of the word. But "Questing for holds" or "Questing for the line" or "Questing for a belay" might occasionally be appropriate.

Post edited at 23:25
 Alta Via 26 Jul 2024

The English language has a rich history of turning nouns into verbs. Actually, I might have to Google that.

OP Robert Durran 26 Jul 2024
In reply to Alta Via:

> The English language has a rich history of turning nouns into verbs. Actually, I might have to Google that.

It is not really the turning of a noun in to a verb as such that I have issue with. 

In reply to Alta Via:

> The English language has a rich history of turning nouns into verbs. Actually, I might have to Google that.

It is not really the turning of a noun in to a verb as such that I have an issue with. It is that the invention (or at least proliferation) of the verb has facilitated the lazy and all too often inappropriate likening of a climb to a quest, most obviously to me in photo captions.

I have heard some climbs described metaphorically as a voyage and this might sometimes feel appropriate and in those cases I would have  no issue with the idea of a climber voyaging. But this, unlike quest/questing has not been overused and cheapened.

No problem with send as a noun or verb (which actually came first?) and of course the adjective sendy; here there never was anything to cheapen in the first place (and nothing wrong with that!).

But I do hate "medal" as a verb and "podium" is even worse (these almost put me off following the Olympics). But I can't quite put my finger on why - possibly I am, in fact, just curmudgeoning in these cases.

And, now that I have mentioned the Olympics, don't get me started on Team GB (likewise Mountaineering Scotland). Since when were the names of countries and nations adjectives to be placed after the noun? It is utter nonsense.

Post edited at 08:40
 tmguilfoyle89 26 Jul 2024

"possibly I am, in fact, just curmudgeoning" - bingo!

Fraser 26 Jul 2024

> But I do hate "medal" as a verb and "podium" is even worse (these almost put me off following the Olympics). But I can't quite put my finger on why - possibly I am, in fact, just curmudgeoning in these cases.

Don't forget to trouser that medal when you do win it!

I love a good bit of verbification

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Maybe he's on a quest to find the perfect route and this is known to the photographer. Therefore every route would see him questing!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/bidean_nam_bian-534/the_holy_grail...

> "possibly I am, in fact, just curmudgeoning" - bingo!

You're welcome.

In reply to Fraser:

> Don't forget to trouser that medal when you do win it!

> I love a good bit of verbification

I like to verb some nouns myself.

In reply to C Rettiw:

> I would say that (at least here) it's a knowing and cheeky way of proddling someone who is being cantankerous and who you know is likely to disagree.

What's Rob's opinion on the word 'proddling'?

Who knows?! Well... I guess I would - as I took the photo. The one of that bloke in a bush - and captioned it as such. I guess I could provide some context but that hasn't really been asked for has it, and somewhat ruins the condescending pontification of this thread. 

As we are discussing language and turns of phrase however I would like to share a personal favourite of mine:

Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink. 

But what would I know? I'm just a punter taking rubbish photos of my mates in a bush, seemingly "angering" some corner of UKC who clearly have little else better to do than attempt to turn what I usually see as a very inclusive community into something much more exclusive. I personally detest possessiveness of language, thought or nuance in discussion... Ah but there's my opinion reeking through the seams. Woops, better stop now. Better things to do!

Anyway - I'm off to North Wales now, forever questing! Expect a few more photos of my gallant quests (now changed to provoking UKC forums).

Tata darlings!

In reply to LakesWinter:

> I have climbed wombat chimney and it wasn't a quest,  there was no treasure and no beautiful maidens or dragons along the way.  Disappointing.

I'm pretty sure this is ok:

"The old tramp was stuggling to find his matches. I decided to help him with his quest"

> I can possibly go further - Rum Doodle seemed just as extraordinarily weak to me.

> Were these books written by eleven year olds for a hurried homework assignment?

No Rum Doodle is rubbish

McHeath 26 Jul 2024

A further objection to the term ‘questing' for most English writers would be that, to put it in Fowler’s terminology ('The King’s English' and ‘Modern English Usage’) it is anglicising a Latin word. Fowler insists that the ‘good writer’ should always ‘Prefer the Saxon word to the Romance’.  (By Romance he means a word descended directly from Latin i.e. Italian, French, Spanish).

seankenny 26 Jul 2024
In reply to GDes:

> This sort of grumbling just comes across as the height of arrogance to me. Unless I'm taking it too seriously and you're actually just joking 

As I understand it the whole “Robert Durran” phenomenon is some kind of art project. A former member of the KLF may be involved.

So is the objection that "quest" is latin but " -ing" is saxon and that they should not be mixed? And, if this is the case, should we be making do without present participles of verbs of latin derivation, or can we invent, say, "questens"?

Post edited at 12:28

> No Rum Doodle is rubbish

Are there several of them?

In reply to seankenny:

> As I understand it the whole “Robert Durran” phenomenon is some kind of art project. A former member of the KLF may be involved.

I had to google KLF and I can assure you that none of them are involved in any way.

> So is the objection that "quest" is latin but " -ing" is saxon and that they should not be mixed? And, if this is the case, should we be making do without present participles of verbs of latin derivation, or can we invent, say, "questens"?

Yes, that’s more or less what Fowler is saying. Remember, he’s talking about preferences rather than hard and fast rules. (If you’ve never read it, The King’s English, first published in 1906, is still well worth reading.)

It’s worth quoting the opening lines of The King’s English:

"ANY one who wishes to become a good writer should endeavour, before he allows himself to be tempted by the more showy qualities, to be direct, simple, brief, vigorous, and lucid.

This general principle may be translated into practical rules in the domain of vocabulary as follows:

Prefer the familiar word to the far-fetched.
  Prefer the concrete word to the abstract.
  Prefer the single word to the circumlocution.
  Prefer the short word to the long.
  Prefer the Saxon word to the Romance. 

These rules are given roughly in order of merit; the last is also the least…." 

seankenny 26 Jul 2024

> I had to google KLF and I can assure you that none of them are involved in any way.

This is exactly the sort of thing a former member of the KLF would say. 

seankenny 26 Jul 2024

> It’s worth quoting the opening lines of The King’s English:

> "ANY one who wishes to become a good writer should endeavour, before he allows himself to be tempted by the more showy qualities, to be direct, simple, brief, vigorous, and lucid.

> This general principle may be translated into practical rules in the domain of vocabulary as follows:

>   Prefer the familiar word to the far-fetched.

>   Prefer the concrete word to the abstract.

>   Prefer the single word to the circumlocution.

>   Prefer the short word to the long.

>   Prefer the Saxon word to the Romance. 

> These rules are given roughly in order of merit; the last is also the least…." 

Guessing Joyce didn’t have a copy. 

You seemed to be apologising for finding RD less than great.

HHGG atleast has some great bits and very funny ideas throughout.

> It’s worth quoting the opening lines of The King’s English:

> "ANY one who wishes to become a good writer should endeavour, before he allows himself to be tempted by the more showy qualities, to be direct, simple, brief, vigorous, and lucid.

> This general principle may be translated into practical rules in the domain of vocabulary as follows:

>   Prefer the familiar word to the far-fetched.

>   Prefer the concrete word to the abstract.

>   Prefer the single word to the circumlocution.

>   Prefer the short word to the long.

>   Prefer the Saxon word to the Romance. 

> These rules are given roughly in order of merit; the last is also the least…." 

And yet the the person who put a caption under the photos didn't adhere to these principles!!!!

Andy Clarke 26 Jul 2024
In reply to seankenny:

> Guessing Joyce didn’t have a copy. 

Nor David Foster Wallace...Thomas Pynchon...John Fowles...Will Self...etc etc.

In reply to seankenny:

Yes, rules are a dangerous thing in English, though worth keeping in mind. Having said that, I do enjoy dipping into Joyce occasionally. By that I mean reading a few pages at a time, in smallish doses.

In reply to Andy Clarke:

Nor Lewis Carroll it seems, but then the publication of the kings english was after his time

"Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;"

(Sorry still packing... couldn't help myself!)

Post edited at 14:58

> You seemed to be apologising for finding RD less than great.

Somebody found me less than great? 

Oh I see........

I didn't intend to apologise for finding Rum Doodle rubbish. Rum Doodle is rubbish, no?

> HHGG at least has some great bits and very funny ideas throughout.

The best known bits I have heard leave me completely cold. I can sort of see why they are supposed to be clever or funny, but they just aren't.

Post edited at 15:40

Inventing words is not the same as bad English. Lewis Carroll wrote perfect English. The wonderful, inimitable Jabberwocky is grammatically flawless.

You're saying I need to stop my favourite type of climbing? Nah, sorry Bob - I'll keep questing thanks....

I think the ascent of Rum Doodle is a wonderful, all-time piss take of mountaineering expedition books, and everyone who writes one would do well to read it first as a terrible warning not to take themselves too seriously. P.S. I say this as someone who ‘has been high.'

Post edited at 17:57
 wercat 26 Jul 2024

> So is the objection that "quest" is latin but " -ing" is saxon and that they should not be mixed? And, if this is the case, should we be making do without present participles of verbs of latin derivation, or can we invent, say, "questens"?

What about Querying the Requesting of the discontinuing of "questing"?

Post edited at 17:56
 Rampart 26 Jul 2024

>  Rum Doodle is rubbish, no?

No. Though I suppose it does labour some of the jokes a little.

>   I can sort of see why [bits of HHGG] are supposed to be clever or funny, but they just aren't.

Possibly it's just that you don't find them funny. Out of curiosity, to set a benchmark, what do you find funny?

Edit: Winding up reactionary UKCers aside.

Post edited at 18:26
 jw888 26 Jul 2024

Quest on my face Bobby

In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

> You're saying I need to stop my favourite type of climbing? Nah, sorry Bob - I'll keep questing thanks....

Nobody wants to stop anyone doing any sort of climbing, least of all me. I love that sort of climbing too!

fotoVUE 26 Jul 2024

> Presumably this a very recent invention.

Quest? That was popular in the late 90s, Kevin Thaw used to use it, a lot, when we lived in California, bugs me as much now as it did then.

Post edited at 19:37
 Michael Hood 26 Jul 2024
In reply to thread:

Looking at the number of photos now appearing with "Questing", I think Robert's whole stance has been a bluff and the whole intent was to introduce this word into wider climbing consciousness. 🤣🤣

Smelly Fox 26 Jul 2024

Questing is real 😉

wbo2 26 Jul 2024
In reply to Robert Durran: Well what single word descriptive verb do you use to describe that genre of climbing ? 

In reply to wbo2:

> Well what single word descriptive verb do you use to describe that genre of climbing ? 

I have accepted that questing might be appropriate if used sparingly. So I think "wandering" would probably be fine in most instances. "Intricate" would work well as an adjective in most cases. What I dind ridiculous is when "questing" is used when simply, say, "climbing up" or "moving across" is perfectly adequate.

In reply to Michael Hood:

> Looking at the number of photos now appearing with "Questing", I think Robert's whole stance has been a bluff and the whole intent was to introduce this word into wider climbing consciousness. 🤣🤣

There was always going to be an initial backlash.

In reply to Rampart:

> Possibly it's just that you don't find them funny.

> Of course. I'm well aware, though puzzled, that others do so.

Out of curiosity, to set a benchmark, what do you find funny?

I'll have a think. I don't tend to read comic books

> Edit: Winding up reactionary UKCers aside.

Eh? I thought I was the reactionary one!

Post edited at 22:43

You railed against the use of a terminal ', no?'. And then went on to use the very construct yourself.

Hoist by your own petard.

I agree that you are the reactionary one...

It might be a backlash or it might be the Streisand effect.

> You railed against the use of a terminal ', no?'. And then went on to use the very construct yourself.

Yes, quite deliberately as an allusion to previous posts. It was a joke (though not, admittedly, a funny one).

> It was a joke

I see. It's all becoming clear now.

FactorXXX 27 Jul 2024

> I see. It's all becoming clear now.

I thought the tongue in cheek use of it was obvious.

Pete Pozman 27 Jul 2024
In reply to JLS:

> I was almost tempted to do a bit of questing today, but had the good sense to stop…

That looks very questworthy.

Andy Clarke 27 Jul 2024
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> That looks very questworthy.

But what if you fail? You'll be left feeling very questfallen.

seankenny 27 Jul 2024

> What I dind ridiculous is when "questing" is used when simply, say, "climbing up" or "moving across" is perfectly adequate.

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.”

OP Robert Durran 27 Jul 2024
In reply to seankenny:

> “Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.”

I'm not sure whether that is in support of my post you replied to or not. 

seankenny 27 Jul 2024

> I'm not sure whether that is in support of my post you replied to or not. 

Isn’t ambiguity delicious?

JLS 27 Jul 2024
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I went back today with a rope. It was easy enough on a shunt but questing upward on-sight solo was beyond me. I think Robert would be bold enough to just quest his way up it.  

In reply to JLS:

> I went back today with a rope. It was easy enough on a shunt but questing upward on-sight solo was beyond me. I think Robert would be bold enough to just quest his way up it.  

How hard is it? Is the climbing actually questy?

JLS 27 Jul 2024

I can’t grade it! It’s easy like between Diff and Severe but with next to no gear for 50m…

Edit: Definitely questy.

Frankly Mr. Shankly (open project) (Project)

Post edited at 23:01
 Lankyman 27 Jul 2024

Oh no! A photo has just been uploaded of someone 'teching' up a boulder. Will the madness never end?

In reply to Lankyman:

> Oh no! A photo has just been uploaded of someone 'teching' up a boulder. Will the madness never end?

Worse, in fact. They are "teching it out". Yes, I saw that and wondered whether or not it was someone being deliberately provocative and I was trying to resist.

Oddly, the real but overused word "questing" has spawned the invented and sort of playful "questy", whereas "techy" has been around for a long time with this verbal "teching" only just apparently appearing.

Anyway, horrid stuff.

Lankyman 28 Jul 2024

Questing up a techy send at Bolton-le-Sands' premier bouldering venue

In reply to Lankyman:

Or sending up a techy quest...

Pete Pozman 28 Jul 2024
In reply to C Rettiw:

> Awful poem. 

Yes, crest, test, rest, zest but no quest. The guy blew it.

Post edited at 12:56
 Pete Pozman 28 Jul 2024
In reply to JLS:

Where is it by the way? If you've already said, sorry.

JLS 28 Jul 2024
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Here…

Spireslack

https://youtu.be/XDiOqiLRBCM?si=SlqHRwdi21oSMDdw

Death on a stick vDiff’s abound.

steveriley 29 Jul 2024

Excellent, even the Yorks Grit guide and ukc is trolling now. I did this yesterday: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/scout-1554/back_o_the_bay_left-han...

Post edited at 13:03
 nufkin 30 Jul 2024

>  I'll have a think. I don't tend to read comic books

This sounds like a challenge. How about some Wodehouse, and see how you go from there?

pasbury 31 Jul 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

A one move quest!

OP Robert Durran 31 Jul 2024
In reply to nufkin:

> This sounds like a challenge. How about some Wodehouse, and see how you go from there?

Yes, Wodehouse is amusing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...