UKC

New Highland Fashion via Cuthbertson and MacLeod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timparkin 10 Jul 2024

What a pair of cool cats! Sorry for the sort of advert but I was quite proud to see this on Instagram today.. 

Cog 10 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

I haven't seen a midge for weeks.

OP timparkin 10 Jul 2024
In reply to Cog:

> I haven't seen a midge for weeks.

I think our cats brought them all inside our house this evening 

greg_may_ 11 Jul 2024
In reply to Cog:Currently they are holidaying at North Lees campsite. Was exciting  there last weekend! 

Post edited at 07:04
In reply to timparkin:

Great idea! Love it 

TheGeneralist 11 Jul 2024

I think it's amazing that company has managed to come up with a completely over engineered and unnecessary solution to the problem of light coloured midge nets distorting your vision.....

Rather than solving the problem by just using dark netting, they go to a ridiculous lengths to incorporate a set of safety goggles instead, with associated, cost, packing, breakage, wear problems.

Sticking with the light green netting of course, just in case someone puts them on the wrong way around and realises how unnecessary the glasses bit actually is.

Michael Gordon 11 Jul 2024
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Eh? I often wear the black midge net (being the only one I own) and it undeniably cuts down vision significantly.  

Jordan-L 11 Jul 2024
In reply to TheGeneralist:

It's not "Big Midge Net" that have developed this in order to boost profits. Tim has created these himself and is selling them on a small scale. 

I have one and think it's great. It feels a lot less claustrophobic than a standard midge net and I can see a lot better. 

OP timparkin 11 Jul 2024
In reply to Jordan-L:

> It's not "Big Midge Net" that have developed this in order to boost profits. Tim has created these himself and is selling them on a small scale. 

> I have one and think it's great. It feels a lot less claustrophobic than a standard midge net and I can see a lot better. 

Thanks Jordan, 

Just to add to that, the famous capitalist Chris Townsend reviewed them today. 

“The MidgeSpecs are a big advance. I’ve also worn them over my reading glasses and that’s fine too. The wide view through the glasses gets rid of the trapped feeling of standard midge nets and lets you get on with what you’re there for. I highly recommend them.” 

https://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/2024/07/a-wonderful-new-midge-net.htm...

And Mike Prince (ex MRT and excellent landscape photographer) reviewed than last month. 

"My pair are are already a fixed part of my daily photography bag and will remain there until the first frosts. I can't overstate quite how good I think these glasses are, for some of us they are game changing. Just buy a pair."

https://www.mikeprince.org/blog/midgespecs-review

But I'd be happy to post the bad reviews I get as well, if and when I get them. 

Thanks to Mr TheGeneralist I've come up with a new idea, try photographing through black and green midge net material compared to clear material and see if they're exactly the same! Any bets?

Michael Gordon 12 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

> Thanks to Mr TheGeneralist I've come up with a new idea, try photographing through black and green midge net material compared to clear material and see if they're exactly the same! Any bets?

I would definitely think photographers would be a prime market for midge specs.

OP timparkin 12 Jul 2024
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> I would definitely think photographers would be a prime market for midge specs.

I've got a couple of photographers using them. I need to work on a polarising pair for fishing too! I've got a paramedic, some MRT, an artist and forestry giving them a go too

Lankyman 12 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

> I've got a paramedic, some MRT, an artist and forestry giving them a go too

Just imagine a scenario where a wounded forestry worker in a remote location has to be stitched up by the MRT doc on a damp August evening ...

OP timparkin 12 Jul 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> Just imagine a scenario where a wounded forestry worker in a remote location has to be stitched up by the MRT doc on a damp August evening ...

Absolutely - also imagine a paramedic trying to insert a canula for an RTA victim on Rannoch moor at twilight ... ARGH!

Andy Hardy 12 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

> Absolutely - also imagine a paramedic trying to insert a canula for an RTA victim on Rannoch moor at twilight ... ARGH!

For this scenario surely the solution is a midge-net bothy bag?

abcdefg 12 Jul 2024
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> For this scenario surely the solution is a midge-net bothy bag?

Not a bad idea. But the little bastards would likely find their way into it while you're setting it up.

Luke Brisco 12 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

Need to try and convince my MR team to start issuing these to us as PPE!

Lankyman 12 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

> Not a bad idea. But the little bastards would likely find their way into it while you're setting it up.

There's obviously a gap in the market for a small, positive air pressure inflatable casualty tent

65 12 Jul 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> There's obviously a gap in the market for a small, positive air pressure inflatable casualty tent

It would be great if it was about the size of a midge net with a pair of integral goggles, if only someone would invent it.

Dr.S at work 12 Jul 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> There's obviously a gap in the market for a small, positive air pressure inflatable casualty tent

Close:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_hyperbaric_bag

just need to make it big enough for two!

Lankyman 12 Jul 2024
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Close:

> just need to make it big enough for two!

I envision something the size of a small shed? Big enough to hold the victim and one or two medics (and keep the damned midges out!).

OP: you saw it here first, my fees are very reasonable

abcdefg 12 Jul 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> I envision something the size of a small shed? Big enough to hold the victim and one or two medics (and keep the damned midges out!).

Perhaps, an unobtrusive full-body anti-midge suit which seamlessly allows a person to do whatever they're doing with no hindrance whatsoever, and with no restrictions whatsoever.

> OP: you saw it here first, my fees are very reasonable

Put me down for a dozen, Lankyman. It's a winner.

JLS 12 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

Needs a built-in straw for tea drinking.

Lankyman 12 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

> Perhaps, an unobtrusive full-body anti-midge suit which seamlessly allows a person to do whatever they're doing with no hindrance whatsoever, and with no restrictions whatsoever.

Several of my worst ever experiences have involved having a dump or a wee whilst being attacked by midges. Another challenge for the designer.

Neil Morrison 13 Jul 2024
In reply to JLS: with fine mesh filter, I hate midgies in my tea.

ExiledScot 13 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

I don't think it's limited to emergencies. There are loads of jobs which are hell when conditions are good for midges, road works, gardeners, roofers, painters, farming etc... most obviously try to flex their work patterns to conditions, but you don't always have a choice. There are compromises like caps and midge net, but you lose that clarity of vision. 

OP timparkin 14 Jul 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

> I don't think it's limited to emergencies. There are loads of jobs which are hell when conditions are good for midges, road works, gardeners, roofers, painters, farming etc... most obviously try to flex their work patterns to conditions, but you don't always have a choice. There are compromises like caps and midge net, but you lose that clarity of vision. 

Good idea! I'll have a chat with a couple of local businesses to see what they think. thanks!

65 14 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

I've done a lot of work involving slow surveying of various sites up in the hills, standing around for days monitoring work on wind farms and hydros and your gogglenet* looks like it would have made life a lot easier, especially when writing and using surveying kit.

*If you use that I want a free one

wintertree 14 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

Nice work.  It’s hard to appreciate the effort of getting a new product to market until you do it!

Is Big Midge Net engineering the weather to make the whole of England like the highlands to increase sales?

Several times in the last week in County Durham I’ve had vivid flashbacks to Gairloch, the weather is indistinguishable and the midges are rising.  One up side is a bumper raspberry crop…

ExiledScot 14 Jul 2024
In reply to 65:

Midgemask©️

OP timparkin 15 Jul 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

GoggleNet, MidgeMask, HoodShades - there's a free pair for person who comes up with the best alternative name!! :-D

Lankyman 15 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

> GoggleNet, MidgeMask, HoodShades - there's a free pair for person who comes up with the best alternative name!! :-D

See-net (or c-net?)

Post edited at 12:31
 mountainbagger 15 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

> GoggleNet, MidgeMask, HoodShades - there's a free pair for person who comes up with the best alternative name!! :-D

The Termidgator

Midgeless

Midgeclear

Midgorama

Tobes 15 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

Definitely a market for these for anglers as you’ve mentioned. Will keep eyes open (pun!?) on developments.

TXG 15 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

Bug Eyes..?

OP timparkin 15 Jul 2024
In reply to TXG:

> Bug Eyes..?

very good!!

OP timparkin 15 Jul 2024
In reply to Tobes:

> Definitely a market for these for anglers as you’ve mentioned. Will keep eyes open (pun!?) on developments.

I need to play around with polarising glasses as a few people have mentioned they're fairly important.

65 15 Jul 2024
In reply to TXG:

> Bug Eyes..?

Dammit, that's the best one yet.

Tobes 15 Jul 2024
In reply to timparkin:

> I need to play around with polarising glasses as a few people have mentioned they're fairly important.

yep, mostly for dry fly, surface fishing to take the glare off. I do a fair bit of hill Loch fishing (Scotland) so happy to field test anything ; )

Was recently up at Sandy Loch near the Stuic, fortunately there was a strong enough breeze most of the time but when it dropped it was cap and net time!

Good luck!

OP timparkin 15 Jul 2024
In reply to Tobes:

> yep, mostly for dry fly, surface fishing to take the glare off. I do a fair bit of hill Loch fishing (Scotland) so happy to field test anything ; )

> Was recently up at Sandy Loch near the Stuic, fortunately there was a strong enough breeze most of the time but when it dropped it was cap and net time!

> Good luck!

Cheers Tobes - I'll let you know.. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...