UKC

REVIEW: Mammut Taiss HS Hooded Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 09 Jul 2024

Top-end technical shells come at top-end prices. But if you don't require the ultimate in winter protection then you needn't spend so much. John McKenna trials a rather more affordable mountaineering shell, but one that still packs a punch in terms of breathability, fit and features: so how does he rate it?

Read more

Stone Muppet 11 Jul 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

£335 is not "less expensive" than any of the goretex I own!

TobyA 11 Jul 2024
In reply to Stone Muppet:

> £335 is not "less expensive" than any of the goretex I own!

There aren't too many jackets made of Gore Tex and probably none made of Gore Tex Pro for less than that are there (excluding sales)?

Yes, some Gore Tex Paclite jackets are cheaper but mountain jackets made of GTX Pro all seem to be around 500 quid now. 

I've not tried this Mammut own brand material but they have a rep for making good mountain shells, if they can do that with a material that as John says seems the equal of GTX (particularly if he is comparing it with GTX PRO) but costing 2/3rds of the price, that sounds a good thing.

Stone Muppet 12 Jul 2024

I got my current gtx pro jacket (berghaus) for around £170, that was 6 or 7 years ago now. Maybe I'm just out of touch with inflation, but on the other hand there was plenty of nonsense on the market back then for £400+ as well. Grumpy old man vibes either way

Post edited at 12:30
 kabutsu 14 Jul 2024

Worth a reminder that Gore-Tex is actually not such a good company, and their product is actually out of patent so competitors should be just as good.

youtube.com/watch?v=GGEzJJYiROk&

In reply to Stone Muppet:

Sounds like a good deal. Did you buy this at RRP? Bare in mind many people who end up purchasing a shell won't be paying the full RRP so this in combination with 6-7 years differences in prices (particularly in the last few years) might not seem so crazy.

Premium shell jackets (particularly gore pro) across the board seem to becoming more and more expensive. There will always be an argument for what is 'worth it' or not and that will come down to personal choice at the end of the day.

For me a top of the range shell will end up costing you quite a lot more for more marginal benefits at the upper end. Although if I'm wanting a jacket to really perform, last year after year and potentially save my life then I can't argue with someone who is wanting to pay these premiums.

The Taiss for me certainly seems like you are getting much of the same premium benefits of a Gore Pro shell with a nice slice off the top range prices.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...