UKC

Laptop / Hindi help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have an ancient Dell Latitude E5540 laptop that won’t boot. It was working ok then I disconnected it from the power and put it away whilst I was away on holiday. When I got back and tried to power it on it was dead. No lights, no POST, nothing. I’ve tried various obvious things: battery, power supply, replacing CMOS battery, various power-on reset sequences etc and no joy. The original CMOS battery must have been 9 years old. Any further suggestions?

I did find a video of someone fixing the same problem on an E5540 but the trouble is it’s in a foreign language, Hindi I guess. It looks like he just strips out the motherboard, powers it up and everything is fine again but I must be missing something in the voiceover! Anyone speak Hindi or want to take a guess at what happens at around the four minute mark please? Long shot I know…

https://fb.watch/te3NVaSDDs/

Route Adjuster 10 Jul 2024
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Try removing the battery and just powering up from power supply only.  Sometimes a dead battery can prevent anything firing up.

abcdefg 10 Jul 2024

> ... I’ve tried various obvious things: battery, power supply ...

In respect of the battery, what exactly did you try? Have you got a known good one?

In reply to Route Adjuster:

> Try removing the battery and just powering up from power supply only.  Sometimes a dead battery can prevent anything firing up.

Tried that thanks. 

In reply to abcdefg:

Yes, I tried a known good one. 

Just tried a different power supply that has a light on it. It trips off as soon as I connect it. So that’s probably a short somewhere? It’s going to be the motherboard isn’t it…

CantClimbTom 10 Jul 2024

Had a similar sounding issue with son's laptop (different brand). He spilled some water into it a while before and all seemed dried and fine and no harm done for ages, but then it died. Once open up I could, with a lot of difficulty finding some corrosion/scunge on motherboard between 2 components that caused a short, scraping off the corrosion and cleaning the gap and it was fine afterwards. If it's like my son's one, it could be a physically tiny fault

Post edited at 17:05

It turned out to be the motherboard. I sent the laptop away to a chap who replaced a shorted capacitor on the board for £80 and all is well again. 

abcdefg 16 Jul 2024

> It turned out to be the motherboard. I sent the laptop away to a chap who replaced a shorted capacitor on the board for £80 and all is well again. 

Good bit of fault-finding by the repairman. I'm pleased that's worked out.

In reply to abcdefg:

The capacitors are quite a common point of failure apparently. Having watched a couple of YouTube videos the bit that impresses me most is the small-scale soldering whilst looking down a microscope. I’ve done a fair bit of tricky soldering before but I could see this was well beyond me. It’s mildly annoying when I come up against a DIY job that I don’t have the skills or equipment to take on but there’s satisfaction in knowing when you’re beaten and getting someone else to do it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...