UKC

Down trousers and boots for camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 11 Jul 2024
Thread moved from Off Belay to Gear

Evening

Does anyone wear down trousers and boots for camping in the hills in the colder months?

I watch quite a few you tube channels where they seem popular.

Ive looked at the PHD ones that have been tested and they are way too expensive for me, but, PHD do some synthetically insulated ones that are cheaper.

My thoughts are that the synthetic ones would be a good upgrade from my ronnie sleep system and better for our damp climate?

What do you wear ?

Dave

Fellover 11 Jul 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Not in the UK but I took some synthetic 3/4 length trousers to camp in Tuolumne/Yosemite. I did look like an idiot but they did definitely help keep me warm. The 3/4 length seems a bit dumb, but it does mean they don't get wet in dew or get dirty scraping along the ground.

Edit to add: I think I have these https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/compressor-3-4-pant though looking at the price I hope my past self got them cheaper than that!

Post edited at 23:40
 pasbury 11 Jul 2024

Is that an order?

BusyLizzie 12 Jul 2024
In reply to pasbury:

> Is that an order?

That was how I read the thread title...

Ridge 12 Jul 2024

Pile and pertex booties used to be popular (think Mardale used to make some) but haven't seen any being sold for years. Probably not glam enough for glamping.

Dave Garnett 12 Jul 2024
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> That was how I read the thread title...

I thought they all came down.  Mine all do.

felt 12 Jul 2024

Buffalo salopettes do the job well.

TobyA 12 Jul 2024

I've got some insulated "boots" - I suppose they are in some ways closer to socks than real boots. I think mine have synthetic insulation in them rather than down. I bought them for not very much in some weird bits and pieces shop when I lived in Finland. As they were cheap they were maybe designed for hunters or fishermen somehow. They use felt lined rubber boots a lot in Finnish winter, so possibly you could even wear them in those. Anyway, I did use them sometimes in very cold conditions, but generally I've found a pair of dry and not too tight loop stitch socks seem to work perfectly well, particularly in much warmer winter conditions in this country. I'm not even sure where my insulated booties are, but if I can find them, do you want to give them a try? Donate a fiver to your local MRT and I'll post them off to you!  

TobyA 12 Jul 2024
In reply to Ridge:

> Pile and pertex booties used to be popular (think Mardale used to make some)

I think I might have some Buffalo ones still as well... Going to have to have a look for them too now!

65 12 Jul 2024

I’ve got Patagonia puffy trousers (I think I bought them from someone on here) which are great for long periods sitting outside or standing in the cold.

They’re not overly bulky or heavy and have side zips so you can whip them on or off with boots/crampons/skis on.

I have some Rab insulated troos, I think they're the Photon? Worn generally all the time day and night on cold expeditions. They've been good to me 

afx22 12 Jul 2024
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Same here.  Rab Photon Pants have been perfect, for sitting outside the tent, sat in a folding chair, chatting, cooking etc.

OP Dave the Rave 15 Jul 2024
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby et al

Sorry for the late responses but I’ve been away on holiday.

Toby- That’s very generous of you but don’t worry about the booties.

Ive had a look at those Rab photons and they seem ideal and will match them with some synthetic insulated slippers.

I want to keep the weight and bulk as low as possible so as to create some sort of sleep system with a lighter down bag so it’s more versatile for a cold evening in a tent.

thanks a lot

dave

I pack a pair of Powerstretch leggings for sleeping in the colder months, but I'm not sure I'd go as far as down for the bottom half. Not in the UK. For feet I have a pair of the Lorpen insulated socks, which mostly only ever see use as cold-weather camping socks on account of my boots not having enough volume to accommodate them.

This combination has worked well for me in all of the conditions the UK has thrown at me in the colder months.

OP Dave the Rave 15 Jul 2024
In reply to the.last.thesaurus:

Thanks tehmarks.

I’m in danger of getting sucked in by marketing hype and what people are wearing in the you tube videos that I watch, I think.

Ive done a lot of winter camping on the hills but you can always improve your kit and comfort.

I’m in the market for a new sleeping bag and mat, and want one that will do all seasons if possible if worn with other gear.

Ive been considering either a PHD minimus or Greenland bag rated comfort to 0 degrees C which should encompass all seasons if it has a full zip.

I’ve rarely encountered below minus 10 in a tent on British hills and currently use an old ME snowline 25 years old, and a ME summer bag of unknown type for the summer.

What I’m confused with is if you wear say down trousers and jacket rated at zero, how does this increase a bag rated at zero to minus 10 degrees?

What sleeping bag do you use for say a predicted temp of minus 5 on British hills?

ta

Dave

Post edited at 22:58
 ScraggyGoat 16 Jul 2024

Firstly down trousers and top inside a PHD minus will be a very tight squeeze, probably won’t have enough space to loft and will mean you have no wiggle room for those long winter nights.

Personally I think down trousers for UK use a very niche bit of kit, for very occasional conditions. It has to be cold and dry, and you have to want to be outside your tent and static. If you want to wander around outside taking photos, watch the stars then yes. Otherwise in tent,  in bag; cook, snooze then sleep.

The simplest way for keeping weight down is a set of thermals and good bag. Otherwise you are just carrying additional packaging around the total weight of down you have with you.

Occasionally I take some synthetic trousers, Montane prisms, doesn’t matter if the hem gets damp ect. Or just thin pertex trousers and top, to put over thermals to go out for a pee and poo in, to cut a little bit of wind and by not being fluffy snow/spindrift doesn’t stick to them. If very dry cold I might take synthetic booties to wander about outside tent without having to get boots from inside my pillow (to stop them freezing), and then fight to put them on/off for a quick pee.

Post edited at 09:14

Yes, have worn down and synthetic.

Incidentally I have a pair of ME down salopettes for sale, totally unused, feel free to send a PM if you wish.

OP Dave the Rave 16 Jul 2024
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Thanks Scraggy

> Firstly down trousers and top inside a PHD minus will be a very tight squeeze, probably won’t have enough space to loft and will mean you have no wiggle room for those long winter nights.

Oky dokes, that makes sense. 

> Personally I think down trousers for UK use a very niche bit of kit, for very occasional conditions. It has to be cold and dry, and you have to want to be outside your tent and static. If you want to wander around outside taking photos, watch the stars then yes. Otherwise in tent,  in bag; cook, snooze then sleep.

That’s where I need to make a decision. If the weathers not too foul I like to sit and cook outside the tent to break up the evening.

As you say, down is a benefit if it’s dry,  but if it’s moist then it’s not much use and could get my down bag wet if I’m using it as part of a sleep system to reduce bag weight. I’m probably better having some light insulated trousers and jacket( already got a belay jacket) and take them off before getting into the bag.

> The simplest way for keeping weight down is a set of thermals and good bag. Otherwise you are just carrying additional packaging around the total weight of down you have with you.

Can I ask what bag you use for autumn/winter/spring?

Ta

Dave

George Ormerod 17 Jul 2024
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> That was how I read the thread title...

I was channeling my outdoor Ian Dury and read it as Down Boots and Panties. 

Post edited at 04:35
 DaveHK 17 Jul 2024

I've got the old version of these: https://montane.com/products/montane-mens-respond-insulated-pants

They're nice but I haven't actually used them much, polarstretch tights are more packable and still pretty warm.

CantClimbTom 17 Jul 2024

Too damp for that in UK, but synthetic like Buffalo or if you want very lightweight over trousers with full zip, OMM make a ultralight insulated over trouser. You could wear them over walking trousers and under waterproof over trousers (if needed) to get a bit more insulation for winter without going full-bore thick and heavy. Good layering option 

https://theomm.com/product/rotor-pant/

ScraggyGoat 17 Jul 2024

I have a bit of a sleeping bag n+1 issue. 
Most of Autumn and Spring I use a PHD sale zipless Hispar with 400grams of down, giving a total bag weight of 800-900grams.  This bag is fine to a bit below freezing and hit and miss below -5deg C even though nominally rated to -10. It doesn’t really work if the temperature swings above 5degrees being too warm and lacking a zip. 

Once below -4 DegC and long winter nights I tend to reach for a zipped ME Helium 800, which is a bit heavy but I couldn’t afford/justify a PHD or lighter ME bag. This bag has been fine from just freezing to nights of solid -10 to -14 deg C. I haven’t tried it in proper cold yet. The down side to this bag is the lack of a water resistant outer. The Hispars outer is very good at shedding damp and condensation.

I could use the PHD with clothes but, I find the uncertainty of possibly being cold something that mars the trip so rather would know I’ll be warm.

A Scottish winter night being cold either through the wrong bag, or not enough food, or colder than forecast drags on for hours, and hours…..

Post edited at 20:21
 Dr.S at work 17 Jul 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I’ve got these and they are great - effectively my spare bottom half in case of some horrible wetting, and very handy in the bothy or tent of an evening.

stone elworthy 17 Jul 2024

I'm a massive fan of the synthetic quilted "camping slippers" and "snow boarding trousers" I got from Aldi. They cost <£10.

OP Dave the Rave 17 Jul 2024

Those look a good option Tom. 
Thanks

Dave

Andypeak 18 Jul 2024

Personally I go with a pair of fleece trousers that were about £10 from decathlon and some Rab hut slippers which are primaloft filled slippers. Kept me toasty warm in Scotland this winter when camping.

SNC 18 Jul 2024

> ... OMM make a ultralight insulated over trouser....

Thanks - interesting - didn't realise such an obviously sensible thing existed!

OP Dave the Rave 18 Jul 2024
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Thanks Scraggy that’s very helpful.

I’m hoping to use this old snowline if it’s proper cold.

Im looking at the PHD Greenland 0 degree which is square footed and hopefully roomier than the minimus, and using some of the ideas from here to increase its rating if needed, and to be warmer if I sit outside to cook etc.

Some great thoughts thanks, especially the Rab power stretch tights which I had in the 90s and were really warm, plus the OMM trousers and synthetic boots.

thansk a lot

Dave

Jshaw04 21 Jul 2024

Hi mate,

Mountain Equipment Aerostat SYN 9.0 is what I got and I use a robins synthetic down sleeping bag and I've never had a problem with the cold even in the colder months in the UK both items feel solid and despite the heavier weight they do pack down reasonably well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...