UKC

ARTICLE: Q&A with New BMC President Dominic Oughton

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC Articles 18 Jul 2024

At the British Mountaineering Council's AGM on 12 June, Dominic Oughton ran unchallenged for the role of BMC President and was elected with 95% of the vote.

Based in Stockport, Dominic has been a BMC member for the past 30 years - including 15 years as a BMC volunteer - and is currently a trustee of Climbers Against Cancer. He is also a UKC user and started a forum thread to introduce himself and share his supporting statement ahead of the vote.

To find out more about the man behind the title, we sent Dominic some questions in his early days of the role. 

Read more

In reply to UKC Articles:

Thanks Natalie and UKC/H for the chance to introduce myself. I will be ‘doing the rounds’ of most of the BMC’s Area Meetings over the next few weeks, and it would be great to meet as many UKC/H members as possible at these events. They’re free to attend, a mix of in-person, hybrid and zoom, and they’re open to non-members (although if you want to vote on any issues you’ll need to join!) Here’s the schedule:

• South West – 23 July – (hybrid)               Dom  Attending (in person or zoom TBC)
  • Lakes – 25 July – (in person BBQ)            Dom Attending (in person)
  • Peak – 31 July – (in person)                     Dom Attending in person
  • Yorkshire – 6 August – (in person)           Dom Attending in person
  • Wales – 7 August (Zoom)                         Dom Attending on Zoom
  • London SE – 15 August (Zoom)               Paul Ratcliffe (CEO) attending
  • North West – 20 August (Zoom)              Paul Ratcliffe (CEO) attending

For more details and to check out what’s happening in your patch click here: https://community.thebmc.co.uk/Default.aspx  – just select the relevant area from the drop-down menu.

Come along; say hello; bend my ear; have your say – it’s OUR BMC

Cheers, Dom

PS Apologies to the Areas I can't join in this round - as the article mentions I'll be on Harris having a go at The Scoop (E7 6b) and I'm not expecting much in the way of 4G. I will definitely make it to at least one meeting in each Area in each year of my Presidency. Meanwhile, those of you in the North West, I'll be at WiltonFest https://wiltonfest.uk/ on 31st August so that's another chance to come along and say hello.

Post edited at 11:08
 galpinos 18 Jul 2024

Very disappointed that you didn't ask whether Dom was "Team Simon" or "Team Tony" in the Great High Tor Bolt Debacle but apart from that......

Great to get an introduction to the new President and for the BMC to use all communication channels (and more long form articles like this will be welcomed!) to better articulate and publicise who the BMC are, what it does, as well engage with both the current membership and the general climbing community (a.k.a. potential new members).

jon 18 Jul 2024
In reply to galpinos:

> Very disappointed that you didn't ask whether Dom was "Team Simon" or "Team Tony" in the Great High Tor Bolt Debacle 

He's probably very relieved !

In reply to Dominic Oughton - BMC President:

A reminder of tonight's BMC South West Area Meeting which will be held as a hybrid meeting at The Haven Banks Centre (next to The Quay Climbing Wall). Doors open at 18:00 for meeting up & light refreshments. The meeting will start at 19:00 following a presentation.

Full details including the Zoom Invite Link on the BMC website

https://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=4584

I'm afraid I can't be there in person but I will be joining on Zoom - come along; have your say; bend my ear; it's OUR BMC

Cheers, Dom

After a couple of great Area Meetings in The Lakes and Peak over the last week, my tour moves on to Yorkshire - I'll be at The Black Horse pub, 2 Westgate, Otley, Yorkshire, LS21 3AS but you can also join on Zoom - all details below.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/en/bmc-yorkshire-area-meeting

Come along - there's a great agenda to include:

- a talk from local climber Adam Van Lopik about his first big wall trip "trial and error on El Cap".
- bolting at Halton Heights
- lowers off/belays at Baildon Bank
- Graffiti & clean-up events
- Yorkshire festival 2025

Plus the chance to bend the ear of the new BMC President - See you there (or on Zoom)

Cheers, Dom

Offwidth 02 Aug 2024
In reply to Dominic Oughton - BMC President:

Might be a good idea to add the Yorkshire date and time Dom.

dominic o 02 Aug 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

> Might be a good idea to add the Yorkshire date and time Dom.

Oops - thanks Steve! 

Tuesday 6th August 7pm start (or earlier for a bit of a social). If anyone fancies some gentle grit cragging that afternoon then let me know (OK - I know "gentle" and "Yorkshire grit" don't belong in the same post!!)

Cheers, Dom 

Offwidth 02 Aug 2024
In reply to dominic o:

Cheers Dom.

"Gentle" and "Yorkshire grit" can belong  in the same post these days. The most recent YMC grit guidebook team had a very sensible attitude in my experience and the two guidebooks are masterpieces. Plus, as an older guidebook joke goes, there are many venues with the best bouldering in Yorkshire (and problems start from f1).

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...