UKC

Autobelays and bouldering walls nr Barnsley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 obi-wan nick b 08 Jan 2023

I work in the area from time to time,  so where’s best to go at a reasonable distance please? 

deepsoup 08 Jan 2023
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

That'll be a trip to Sheffield most likely I'm afraid.  Awesome is closest and easiest to get to from the M1.  (Huge lead wall with some autobelays, but unfortunately their bouldering is a bit pants.) 

The Hangar is a tiny bit further to go, after that Depot and Foundry are probably much of a  muchness and slightly further again but all the right side of the city from your PoV.

cragtyke 08 Jan 2023

Unfortunately the old Barnsley wall is no longer open, so for auto belays it's either Awesome Walls or the Foundry in Sheffield both about 30/40 mins by car or use the train.

Bouldering: Sheffield Depot or Climbing Hangar 30 mins, The Works 40 mins.

Leeds: City Bloc is the easiest to get to 25/30 mins, Armley and Pudsey Depots 40/45 mins. There's also a couple of other bouldering walls.

Or Huddersfield Freeklime 40 mins.

Mini Mansell 08 Jan 2023

I live in Barnsley,  

drop me a note when your in the area and i am sure we can arrange to climb together,  i climb in Foundry.

In reply to all:

thanks all - I’ll give them a try when I’m there. Thanks for the offer Min I’ll give you a shout…

In reply to deepsoup:

How does AW’s bouldering remain resolutely pants even after makeovers? I’ve never really been able to put my finger on it, maybe it’s because the bar is set so high in the other walls?

kevin stephens 09 Jan 2023
In reply to paul_in_cumbria: I’m guessing their setting budget all goes on the lead walls. I can’t understand why they don’t use a little of their vast area for a decent circuit board. The poor bouldering is mentioned regularly on UKC. Either AW don’t follow UKC or they’re not bothered

deepsoup 09 Jan 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

My guess would be something along those lines too.  Bit of a catch-22 situation maybe - they focus their attention more on the routes because the bouldering isn't something that brings the customers in, and vice versa. 

But Paul is right, it isn't awful it just isn't great.  One way or another the other Sheffield walls set a very high bar for the quality of their bouldering.  (Especially the Works, but the drive across town would most likely be a pain in the arse for the OP after work on a weekday.)

As it is, I think AW would be well worth a visit if the OP has a climbing partner lined up, but rather less so as a billy-no-mates.

kevin stephens 09 Jan 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

The auto belays are actually quite good at AW, but can get a bit busy after work

In reply to deepsoup:

looking at the walls across the city, even if you don’t like the style, the setting tends to be good to great. Burly at the Depot, techy at the Works, different but good at the Hangar, and well, The Wave is at the Foundry😍

The lead routes are great at AW, but I only really pop in to boulder to warm up. Shame really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...