UKC

Cavity wall insulation - pros and cons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HB1 18 Oct 2011
Sitting here feeling the cold today. 1930s detached, no double-glazing, draughty. Am I stupid not to have cavity-wall insulation, having read mixed reports?
 EeeByGum 18 Oct 2011
In reply to HB1: Sounds to me like you need to get your windows and loft insulation sorted before your cavities.
OP HB1 18 Oct 2011
In reply to EeeByGum: loft insulation sorted. Can't afford DG. I'm asking about CW insulation
In reply to HB1:

Pro is that it should make your house warmer.
Cons include it finding weaknesses in the brickwork and breaking the wall, and I've heard it can settle and go flat so its all the bottom instead of spread about.
Gorrilla 18 Oct 2011
Jim C 18 Oct 2011
In reply to HB1:
You can get cheaper Secondary double glazing or you can put the shrink film on during the winter months. Granted it's not convienient if you want to have air in at times. or you can tape up the joints with masking tape.

(I'm in a 1903 house with some original sash windows which are very draughty, but I find really heavy curtains that drag on the floor as good as anything else I've tried. But there is lighting issues with that during the day, works well at night though.
 Radioactiveman 18 Oct 2011
In reply to HB1:

Slightly put off by the yeah ha way in which it appears to be installed. (at least the areas near me)

I read somewhere that a proper survey of the property should be done as moisture can cross the cavity due to the insulation. I think you have to have a porous face brick for this to occur which is why the survey is required.This bridging can lead to bad damp problems, Read somewhere of risk to wall ties as well ?

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity.html

http://www.freeinsulation.co.uk/articles/cavity-wall-insulation-problems.ht...

Also can look a mess if done on the cheap and the cement isnt colour matched to the pointing or if the house is rendered/dashed.

MHutch 18 Oct 2011
In reply to HB1:

You will feel vastly warmer as soon as you sort out your draughty house. It's pretty much the most cost effective thing you can do. Go on a hunt for where the cold air's coming in and start sealing the gaps.

PS surrounding your front door frame with foam filler is counterproductive, though. Buy a heavy curtain.
 Toerag 18 Oct 2011
In reply to HB1: given that Britain is one of the dampest places in Europe and bricks are inherently porous cavity insulation done 'post build' has got to be the daftest thing ever, you're just asking for penetrating damp problems.
 Trangia 18 Oct 2011
In reply to HB1:

If you can't afford to do it all at once in order of priority do

1 Roof insulation
2 Draft seal windows and doors, and fireplace/chimney opening if not in used
3 Insulate walls
4 Double glaze

As for cavity insulation rock wool is the most efficient and generally the least troublesome, foam the most troublesome - can lead to damp penetration across air pockets formed which bridge the cavity.

One of the problems with sealing up a house too much to increase warmth is that it conflicts with the need to ventilate to combat condensation.

Expect to get a lot more problems with condensation particularly on windows and other cold spots and draught sealing can be counter productive unless you use sensible ventilation, particularly if you install double glazing, - so open windows or install mechanical vents/steam extractors in the bathroom, kitchen and utility room when. This ventilation needs to be increased when cooking, washing machine/tumble drier running and showering/bathing. Leave bedroom windows/ fan lights slightly open when sleeping in cold weather, human beings produce a lot of water vapour as well as CO2 when exhaling. Don't forget that pets like large dogs do the same.
Bob kate bob 18 Oct 2011
In reply to ALL:
We got recomended a sort of cladding that would be like adding insulation to the outside of the house (I suppose it could be done on the inside too).
Seen it done on some flats in Germany, they skim the cladding afterwards so it just looks like normal painted wall. Maybe this is the way forward for the OP.
Saying that, might be cheaper to double glaze even though the OP doesn't want to hear that.
 Fraser 18 Oct 2011
In reply to Bob kate bob:

Sounds like STO rendered insulation. It's good if applied and detailed corectly, if not, it's a bit of a waste. Tarts up the external walls though if you've got non-insulated, rendered walls at the moment.
 jimjimjim 18 Oct 2011
In reply to HB1: A mate of mine bought some cavity insulation at the door from ' a firm that was doing work in the area'. He wasn't happy when i told him his house didn't have a cavity...450 quid wasted. Think on.....
 dread-i 18 Oct 2011
In reply to jimjimjim:
>..450 quid wasted. Think on.....

We got our done for free from our energy provider (Bitish Gas). You can also get grants to reduce the cost, we were quoted £99 from markgroup. Theres lots of gov money about to providers of energy saving products.

Defo avoid any door to door sales men.

OP HB1 18 Oct 2011
In reply to HB1: Thanks to all for the advice. I'm going to cut out window draught next (loft well-insulated)- see how it goes. I never speak to blokes off the street (we've had many a quote for cutting tree down - all were aroun d twice the price charged by a proper firm of tree-surgeons, who did an excellent job). Meanwhile I'm wearing thermals again and dreaming of a sun-rock trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...