UKC

Walking Boots

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Hi

Im about to embark on 3 peaks in 24 hours .. not a regular hiker here. Bought some ariat skylien walking boots in a 4 - I am a 4 so didn't go up a size or anything. They feel tight across the top width of the foot but all else ok. Is the rule of thumb I should go up in size? As I wore normal socks as it felt so tight, or do they break in eventually? I've got 2 months to get in gear for it!

Thanks in advance

K

mattc 14:47 Thu
In reply to KellyBlackmore Lee:

Have a look for a good local shop and go get fitted. Where do you live? 

montyjohn 15:24 Thu

I usually find that my sizes with boots aligns pretty well with other shoe types as I suspect manufacturers assume you will wear hiking socks with the boots.

But you always get differences between brands, and the only way to to be sure is to try them on with socks similar to what you plan on wearing.

They will break in a bit, but if they already feel tight, I suspect they will break you before you break them.

I think you need to try a different brand.

Jenny C 15:34 Thu

Agreed, I generally buy my regular shoe size, but as with regular shoes sometimes I need to go up/down a bit to get a good fit.

Best advice is to go to a knowledgeable retailer where you can try them on in person and get expert advice on fitting and selecting an appropriate model for your planned usage. 

Andy Hardy 16:20 Thu

There will probably be a snow patch on top of Ben Nevis so boots might be better there. For Scafell and Yr Wyddfa trainers would most likely be fine. 

Jafn1997 11:59 Fri

A good way to test if the shoe is the right size is to pull the insole out of the boot and place your foot over it. If there is 1.5- 2.5cm (roughly your thumb width )or so space at the front of the insole the length is good. As for width they should feel snug not tight with your thicker sock on. If they feel like they are squeezing your foot with a normal (everyday) sock on chances are they will cause pain on an extended hike as your feet will swell up slightly as you hike. Part of it is intuition. If they feel wrong out of the box they probably are not the best fit however leather hiking shoes will somewhat stretch over time. Personally I'd recommend something a bit more burly and lightweight. Look at brands like Scarpa, La Sportiva, Salomon, Meindl. Definitely get a good quality thick or thin (with padding in the heel and toes) hiking sock to avoid painful blisters! If there is no snow or hard terrain a sturdy approach shoe can also work very well for extended hikes.

Hope this helps!

In reply to Andy Hardy:

I was gonna say yeah I would probably wear trail shoes these days for it. Might even take two pairs to relieve the pressure doing so much walking in one go (to change in the car I mean).

In reply to Andy Hardy:

> There will probably be a snow patch on top of Ben Nevis so boots might be better there. For Scafell and Yr Wyddfa trainers would most likely be fine. 

There is snow at the top of Ben Nevis at the moment, but the OP isn't going for another 2 months. I would be most surprised if there were still snow then. Even then, any snow will be well compacted on the paths. Decent trail shoes would be fine - I was up Ben Nevis last August and was quite happy in Scarpa Vortex shoes.  

Depends... Depends.... 

They are leather and might stretch a tiny bit, but probably not a huge amount due to fabric lining. So don't expect stretch like some leather only boot from many years back which some out of date advice might reference.

Personally I size my boots wearing normal socks and don't wear thick socks, but I'm weird and that's not the norm. (For example I'm also an enthusiast for wearing wellies on mountain days and scrambling, so I'm an outlier) But it depends, there is no set formula for everyone.

Suppose you suspect they're tight to walk about all day about the house in normal socks, then they're too small or maybe not the right shape for your feet. If you'd be fine in normal socks, then walk in normal socks 

You need to be getting every single mile into your legs and feet in boots, that you can between now and then.

Good luck! 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...