UKC

ARTICLE: My Map of the World

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC Articles 11 Jul 2024

Niall Grimes writes about his early days of climbing in Donegal...

When I was little, I hardly knew what the world was, nor my place in it. On the dinner table there was a salt and pepper set, two little cubes of glass with silver tops, and they both sat inside a round plastic holder with the world printed on the outside. On the top was a gold-painted eagle and you used the eagle to lift the top half off and get at the salt and pepper. I would sit at the dinner table and use the eagle to spin the globe and look at the different shapes painted on: Africa, Greenland, Black Sea, Sicily, Antarctica. I liked the names but they really meant nothing to me because all I knew was Violet Street and Chapel Road, the Convent Field and the Triangle.

Read more

McHeath 11 Jul 2024
In reply to UKC Articles:

Brilliant. Don´t think I´ve ever read a better piece about starting climbing; every sentence resonated. Thanks Niall!

pasbury 12 Jul 2024

Beautifully written. Thanks.

David Alcock 12 Jul 2024

Cheers Niall - a delightful read on my birthday. Oh, to be young again! 

simes303 12 Jul 2024

This is great Grimer. I was wondering just this week if you had written anything recently.

Si.

make 12 Jul 2024

Lovely read! So emotive, when you bringing out your book? 😎👍

tomverse 12 Jul 2024

Loved this one Niall

I love the idea of a climb that 'disappears' (in the sense that the fact that someone climbed a bit of rock is not discernible by others); I can see how the disappearing of a FA could actually be the ultimate desideratum for a first ascensionist, rather than an unwanted accident.

myrddinmuse 15 Jul 2024

An unreal bit of writing Niall. I'd like to go and see some of those rocks and routes one day before they sink back into the turf.

He never plugs it but if you want to support Niall's creative output here is his Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/jamcrackpodcast/membership 

He never really posts on there but it goes towards making the podcast and articles like this happen so in my mind it's worth it.

sandrow 17 Jul 2024

Wonderful writing! This really resonates with me:

"It wasn't an easy day out. It wasn't a comfortable day out. It certainly wasn't a fun day out, but as we drove home that day, aged sixteen, I felt I had just had the most amazing day of my life so far."

Niall Grimes 19 Jul 2024

Oh hi all, glad you enjoyes

Niall

Lewis Perrin 01 Sep 2024

A resonant read, and poignant in the end.

tempusername 01 Sep 2024

"I think often about the climbs we did, how much we put into them and how much they meant to us. These obscure routes in obscure places were everything to us. We dreamed of them all week and did all we could to have the freedom to get there and the skills to succeed when we did. But times pass. I have left there ..."

This resonated for me, and seems to speak about dealing with life changes in general, as much as it does about the author's personal circumstances.

I have climbed for a very long time. When younger, I was definitely obsessed by the activity, and it has provided me with powerful experiences and memories. But, after the recent death of my wife, I have questioned everything that I have ever done, and, thinking about it, the importance I once placed on climbing now seems utterly juvenile.

That is not to diminish the value of the activity to any individual. But times do pass; things do change; and what might seem crucially important to somebody at some particular time might be completely banal to everybody else.

Post edited at 10:29

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...