UKC

ARTICLE: Arena Hanesyddol-Ieithyddol Chwareli Dinorwig

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC Articles 21 Jun 2024

Mae Eryri yn focs matsus diwylliannol. Gall ymwelwyr mewn unrhyw ardal wledig achosi tensiwn – mae hyn yn wir ym mhopman, ond mae'n broblem a deimlwyd yn fwy brwd ers y pandemig, yn enwedig mewn parciau cenedlaethol lle mae'r argyfwng tai yn cael ei waethygu gan berchenogaeth ail gartrefi (er bod y chwareli eu torri'n daclus allan o'r parc ei hun). Yng Ngogledd Orllewin Cymru, mae'r iaith Gymraeg wastad wedi golygu bod mwy fyth yn y fantol gyda'r materion hyn – yn gymharol ddiweddar bu mudiad gerila yn llosgi tai haf yng Ngwynedd yn ystod ymgyrch llosgi Meibion ??Glyndwr; mae anniddigrwydd yn parhau yn Eryri.

Read more

In reply to UKC Articles:

Great move, can we now expect articles about climbing in Leonidio to be presented in Greek and Sicily in Latin?

A couple of years ago, The Rose and Crown down the road was taken over and renamed The Hipster and Micro scooter. The regulars still call it the Rose and Crown.

myrddinmuse 21 Jun 2024
In reply to Ennerdaleblonde:

The article is bilingual - you will find a link to lead you to your preferred language at the top (photo attached)

Post edited at 14:52

wynaptomos 21 Jun 2024
In reply to myrddinmuse:

Erthygl ardderchog Eben. Ti di bod yn brysur iawn!! Mae’n pwyso a mesur y dadleuon cymhleth yn raenus dros ben.

If you can supply the relevant translations, I'd be happy to publish them!

Alun 21 Jun 2024

> Great move, can we now expect articles about climbing in Leonidio to be presented in Greek and Sicily in Latin?

The difference being that this website is called UKclimbing, and Wales is part of the UK, and Welsh is an official language in Wales, which is this article's subject. And if you click on the link at the top of the article, you can read it in Wales' other official language, English!

Diolch am yr erthygl, Eben, nes i ei fwynhau e'n fawr, a fel dringwr a Chymro Cymraeg dwi'n cytuno gyda dy safbwynt. Gobeithio y bydd dilynwyr Eryri Wen yn ei ddarllen! Mae modd i ni gofio hanes gwreiddiol y chwareli, tra'n cydnabod dylanwad dringwyr arnyn nhw hefyd. / Thanks for the article Eben, I enjoyed it very much, and as a Welsh speaking climber, I agree with your point of view. I hope Eryri Wen followers will read it! It's possible to remember the original history of the quarries while recognising the influence that climbers have had on them too.

Mark Kemball 21 Jun 2024

Thank you for that article (my Welsh being very much at beginner / duolingo level I read the English version). I've posted links to both versions on the relevant Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/nation.cymru/posts/pfbid033Zgb6qBeejJ1FUDrpV4syB4q... It will be interesting to see the reactions to it.

Deri Jones 21 Jun 2024

Diolch Eban am rhoi cais clir i ochor y ddringwyr - cytuno yn llwyr. Mae'n siom weld gwaith hollol pwysig Eilian a'i criw yn casglu enwau'r chwarelwyr a ffermwyr am ei cynefin yn cael ei defnyddio i chwipio fynu achos "populist" - dos dim amser gyda fi am yr pobl "ni a nhw" neu "dim fel ti a fi..."

Thanks Eban for giving a clear case for the climbers, which I agree with. It's a shame seeing the important work that Eilian and co have done collecting and publicising the names that the farmers and quarrymen used for their workplaces being used for some anti English populist bullshit - I've no time for the faction of Welsh speakers who claim "Us and them" or "They're not like you and me...". 

There has to be a bit of a militant edge to Welsh language preservation in light of the blowtorch like blast of the English/American media it is surrounded by and the attitudes of a significant number of monoglot English speakers (both English and Welsh). Reclaiming existing Welsh names for places by educating climbers and walkers, who are one of the few groups that have a similar need for granularity of naming to the farmers/quarrymen and a fascination with names and the landscape they are moving through is a no brainer. A tip of the hat to UKC for publishing Eban's articles bilingually - adding the Welsh names for the different levels to the Rockfax database would be a simple and well appreciated step. I seem to remember the BMC/Harvey mountain maps being better than the OS maps for Welsh place names, but the next generation could include more and I'd suspect the BMC will have more sway with the OS than a combative retired teacher from North Wales.

ferguselliott 23 Jun 2024

Erthygl gwych a diddorol, a pwynt da bod 'Eryri Wen' ddim yn cynrychioli y mwyafrif o siaradwyr Cymraeg!

Moza 17:21 Mon

What an arrogant comment... shame on you

Moza 17:21 Mon

What an arrogant comment... shame on you

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...